All Ireland Football Final 2017 Mayo V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, August 27, 2017, 07:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hill is Blue

Coming into this final all the momentum seems to be with Mayo. It seems that this year Sam is well within their grasp. However, if I were a Mayo supporter I'd have one nagging concern. Since much of the optimism about their prospects seems to stem from their devastating performance against Kerry I'd be asking myself: How good were Kerry this year?
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on August 29, 2017, 12:19:30 PM
Coming into this final all the momentum seems to be with Mayo. It seems that this year Sam is well within their grasp. However, if I were a Mayo supporter I'd have one nagging concern. Since much of the optimism about their prospects seems to stem from their devastating performance against Kerry I'd be asking myself: How good were Kerry this year?

im less optimstic, kerry werent very good either day and brought it to a replay. if anything dublin are better than last season and have managed the season better. incredible team and the majority of your subs would walk into the mayo team, cant see past a dublin win tbh
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

heffo

Looking forward to a great game - hard to think of a bad game between the sides in recent years.

Tubberman

Kerry were awful. Nobody is reading too much into beating them other than it's a monkey off our backs. It was overdue, it was a sore point after 2014, so it was sweet, but they were really poor.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

From the Bunker

I'd be asking myself the same question after beating Tyrone! Let's say Kerry are rubbish. Would you put your league final defeat down to seriously taking you taking your eye off the ball?

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: Tubberman on August 29, 2017, 12:31:34 PM

Kerry were awful. Nobody is reading too much into beating them other than it's a monkey off our backs. It was overdue, it was a sore point after 2014, so it was sweet, but they were really poor.

that said lost against galway, et against derry, poor against clare, et against cork, drew with roscommon - all poor performances. Kerry were poor the first day but still drew and could very well have won. Cant really read too much into either replays Roscommon were awful and kerry were even worst than the first day, so where is the optism that we can beat possibly the greatest ever team coming from

yellowcard

Quote from: Tubberman on August 29, 2017, 12:31:34 PM

Kerry breezed into the semi final and won the national league being the only side to defeat Dublin in the last 40+ matches. They were poor because Mayo out powered them and Kerry couldn't live with their physicality in the middle third of the pitch. I wouldn't underestimate the fillip that defeating Kerry in a big match in Croke Park will do for Mayo's confidence going into the final. It was a hoodoo that needed ending and they will have to end another one to end their losing run of AI final appearances. They are big underdogs but still have a decent chance and their contests with Dublin in recent have always been settled on the small margins. Dublin have a better squad of players but they can only play 15 players on the field at the same time.   

Hound

Form in semi-final is completely irrelevant when predicting what's going to happen in a final.

Only thing of relevance is last year's All Ireland finals, and that being 12 months ago makes it very hard to compare. Andy Moran is clearly playing better than last year, as is Aidan O'Shea. Doherty now a legitimate threat and Loftus looks like he could do what Costello did last year. Boyle is super, and nobody can doubt the class of Harrison and Barrett at the back. Vaughan (who I would say pretty much has always been poor v the Dubs) is having his best year ever. Keegan not at the same level as last year, but illness accounts for that. COC not playing as well as last year, but I'm sure Mayo lads are confident he'll play well.

Overall I would say I expect Mayo to be slightly better this year than last year. I think Dublin are better too. It'll be down to who produces on the day. Should be a super game.

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 29, 2017, 12:31:53 PM

I'd be asking myself the same question after beating Tyrone! Let's say Kerry are rubbish. Would you put your league final defeat down to seriously taking you taking your eye off the ball?

Dublin started training far later this season so weren't as up to the pace as Kerry and since the final have added Johnny Cooper, Jack McCaffrey, Con O'Callaghan to the team also which helps especially in defence.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Hound on August 29, 2017, 01:01:47 PM
Form in semi-final is completely irrelevant when predicting what's going to happen in a final.

Only thing of relevance is last year's All Ireland finals, and that being 12 months ago makes it very hard to compare. Andy Moran is clearly playing better than last year, as is Aidan O'Shea. Doherty now a legitimate threat and Loftus looks like he could do what Costello did last year. Boyle is super, and nobody can doubt the class of Harrison and Barrett at the back. Vaughan (who I would say pretty much has always been poor v the Dubs) is having his best year ever. Keegan not at the same level as last year, but illness accounts for that. COC not playing as well as last year, but I'm sure Mayo lads are confident he'll play well.

Overall I would say I expect Mayo to be slightly better this year than last year. I think Dublin are better too. It'll be down to who produces on the day. Should be a super game.
+1
That's more or less how I feel also.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Dire Ear

Mayo have improved, no doubt, but I can't honestly see them getting within 6 of Dubs; who are well-oiled robots

Tubberman

Quote from: Hound on August 29, 2017, 01:01:47 PM

I'd agree in the main, but you'd want to run your assessment of Harrison by Syferus first for approval - he'll be sure to change your mind!
Vaughan was having a great game last year I thought until the unfortunate "accidental" collision which meant he had to go off injured.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Mayo4Sam14

Dublin by 5.... (keep in mind however that i called kerry by 8(!) before the first game)

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Dire Ear on August 29, 2017, 01:42:41 PM
Mayo have improved, no doubt, but I can't honestly see them getting within 6 of Dubs; who are well-oiled robots

They weren't well oiled robots in last year's final although Gavin seems to be using that as a stick to beat them with already.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 29, 2017, 01:58:53 PM
Quote from: Dire Ear on August 29, 2017, 01:42:41 PM

They weren't well oiled robots in last year's final although Gavin seems to be using that as a stick to beat them with already.

they were well off it and still won