Leinster U-20 Football 2018

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, November 29, 2017, 12:57:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Terrace

We missed 3/4 easy point chances in 1st half think it caught up on us. We will get it hard to qualify two come out of group. Meath seem strong in this. Nevertheless i thought our lads tried hard last night.

SCFC

Quote from: High Fielder on May 29, 2018, 12:40:10 PM
There was plenty to be said at the start of this thread and now nobody seems to know anything. The Coach wasn't given a chance from day one by some people and some players. I'm delighted for O'Loughlin that he proved a lot of people wrong by putting a team out who wanted to represent Laois well.
We're in a strange place when losing an 8 point lead is proving people wrong. How Padraig Kirwan was left on the line and Dean Brophy brought on is beyond me. I suppose it's not hard to figure out though really.

High Fielder

Your mind was made up before we kicked a ball SCFC. Maybe you feel that O'Loghlin can never get anything out of this group, and that's fair enough. But he's there now and that performance exceeded expectations. Shifting the goalposts to suit your own agenda is a small bit mealy mouthed. He's a Laois man who cares enough to take on the job. Give him a chance and judge him after that I say

SCFC

Quote from: High Fielder on May 29, 2018, 07:24:51 PM
Your mind was made up before we kicked a ball SCFC. Maybe you feel that O'Loghlin can never get anything out of this group, and that's fair enough. But he's there now and that performance exceeded expectations. Shifting the goalposts to suit your own agenda is a small bit mealy mouthed. He's a Laois man who cares enough to take on the job. Give him a chance and judge him after that I say
Ah look I'm not judging him at all. I just hate this craic of oh we ran them close being some sort of success. It's what pisses me off about the county hurling teams. I expect we'll hammer Wicklow and it will come down to the Meath game. I'm not sure it's a good idea having a player's father being a selector either. I hope to jaysus I'm a million miles wrong but I'm not convinced he is the right man for the job.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: SCFC on May 30, 2018, 02:38:01 PM
I just hate this craic of oh we ran them close being some sort of success. It's what pisses me off about the county hurling teams.

Unfortunately, the hurling teams are not running any top close these days at all. It's hammerings nearly all the time with very very rare exceptions.

Unison

Any report on today's match against Wicklow? A win by a point does not look like a good result.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

I was at the game and although it was close all through the standard of passing and decision making was way below what is required at county level.
This bunch of lads are giving everything for Laois and playing with passion but some of the decisions were so poor on both sides.
The kickouts were generally good and we were winning midfield but an attempt at a short kickout went to a Wicklow forward and was finished to the net.
That was a turning point and although we bravely came back from that Wicklow grew in confidence and could have won it but for a great display from our full forward Diarmuid Whelan.
This game could have went either way and Laois were lucky that a last minute effort by Wicklow barley drifted wide.

This is how we stand at the moment:

Read about it here, much better report than I could ever give...
https://www.laoistoday.ie/2018/06/04/laois-keep-u-20-campaign-alive-with-wicklow-win/

Manager O'Loughlin says Laois U-20s need 'miracle score' against Meath to advance
https://www.laoistoday.ie/2018/06/04/manager-oloughlin-says-laois-u-20s-need-miracle-score-against-meath-to-advance/
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

SCFC

Billy said after the game;
"If you are not allowed use your senior players, there is no reason why this competition could not be played in July or August."
Any chance we could play a bit of oul club football Billy?🙂

les Antiques

Quote from: SCFC on June 04, 2018, 10:43:54 PM
"If you are not allowed use your senior players, there is no reason why this competition could not be played in July or August."

We get it SCFC , your not a fan of Billy . Move on .

Was at the match and would agree with Junior . The standard was poor as basic skill levels go . Both sides effort couldn't be faulted . I'd worry about us against Meath who seem to be very strong  at this level .

redsetanta

Meath beat Kildare yesterday and put a huge score up against Wicklow.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Laois fan

Article above says laois need to beat meath by 25 points,seems to me while still highly unlikely a 13 point winning margin would see them through

SCFC

Quote from: les Antiques on June 05, 2018, 10:13:56 AM
Quote from: SCFC on June 04, 2018, 10:43:54 PM

We get it SCFC , your not a fan of Billy . Move on .

Was at the match and would agree with Junior . The standard was poor as basic skill levels go . Both sides effort couldn't be faulted . I'd worry about us against Meath who seem to be very strong  at this level .
So if we play the under 20 in July and August as he suggests, when do you think the club championships should be played,?
Personally I can't see why the under 20 doesn't go back to March April early May like the under 21 used to be.

High Fielder

I guess it boils down to what is more important. The League in Laois is a basket case and there's plenty of time and room to slot in some Championship matches. It would certainly concentrate the minds a little better because now, as things stand, it's a waste of time. So if the balance swings between bad club football and our best young footballers and what's best for them, I'd give them more consideration every time

les Antiques

I do agree that playing this competition in March /April like before would be a better option. However with this  new format of no inter-county action in April it doesn't seem feasible .
Maybe a return to a knockout situation ,less matches and spread out over end of
Summer and would have less inpact on local championships ..
It's difficult one .

Dave like the tv channel

Quote from: Laois fan on June 05, 2018, 10:31:39 AM
Article above says laois need to beat meath by 25 points,seems to me while still highly unlikely a 13 point winning margin would see them through

Surely we need just better Kildare's win by three points however unlikely that is.