Ulster U20 and Minor Championships 2024

Started by Captain Obvious, March 22, 2023, 05:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snoopdog

Quote from: snoopdog on March 09, 2024, 08:46:56 AM
Quote from: onefineday on March 08, 2024, 11:38:12 PM
Quote from: God14 on March 07, 2024, 01:49:46 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 07, 2024, 01:43:01 PMSeen Derry play Dublin last Sat at the Dub, there was some physical difference between the two, Haven't seen Tyrone but they would have to be pretty decent to beat that Dublin team if you are making them favourites for All Ireland

MR i take it Dublin won that then?

Derry struggled at u17 back in 2021, but as we all know, thats not always a good barometer. 
Don't know if struggled is the right term. They lost a first round game by 1pt after leading most of the game. Straight knock out, so that was that.
They also played about 1 week after winning the previous year's all Ireland minor, with same management team, so preparation was unlikely to be the best and iirc a few key lads were covid isolating too.

So Derry are hot favourite for todays game v Down in Newry?
Indeed they were. Hammering Down.

Rossfan

Quote from: HokeyPokey on March 09, 2024, 02:58:52 PMTír Eoghain 8-16 (40)
Aontroim 0-7 (7)

Good jases!!
Will Antrim be the next Kilkenny?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

OakLeaf

OakLeaf

Wildweasel74

Tyrone not even the decency to keep it at Austin 3:16!!

Captain Obvious

Itchy

There's just no excuse for the state of football in Antrim.

armaghniac

Quote from: Itchy on March 09, 2024, 05:32:31 PMThere's just no excuse for the state of football in Antrim.

Shocking scoreline, Tyrone could not beat a decent cub team by that margin.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Duine Inteacht Eile

Quote from: armaghniac on March 10, 2024, 01:20:02 AM
Quote from: Itchy on March 09, 2024, 05:32:31 PMThere's just no excuse for the state of football in Antrim.

Shocking scoreline, Tyrone could not beat a decent cub team by that margin.
At the same age group? They absolutely would.

As shocking as it is, it's a top end team v a bottom end team. Dublin put 4-30 past Laois in last year's Leinster championship and could have had 8 goals had they wanted.
What would Kerry do to Waterford if they wanted?

I'm not defending the state of football in our county btw.

snoopdog

Tyrone have been the best at all levels in Ulster over the last 20 odd years. And that comes from the massive work put in at underage. I don't believe they have many better players than the likes of Armagh,Derry, Donegal or Down but they have a much better coaching set up. They are years ahead of the rest. Only Derry look to be getting there.

Wildweasel74

They not a bigger pick also from clubs

statto

Quote from: snoopdog on March 10, 2024, 09:02:44 AMTyrone have been the best at all levels in Ulster over the last 20 odd years. And that comes from the massive work put in at underage. I don't believe they have many better players than the likes of Armagh,Derry, Donegal or Down but they have a much better coaching set up. They are years ahead of the rest. Only Derry look to be getting there.
And that has brought one all Ireland from 2008 onwards.Tyrone do well at underage but seem to bring through alot of players of similar ability rather than generational talents.

Duine Inteacht Eile

In the last 20 years;

Dublin have won 7 Leinster minor titles and 18 Leinster senior titles.

Tyrone have won 8 Ulster minor titles and 6 Ulster senior titles.

I don't know what that tells you, if anything, but I thought it was an interesting stat.

Wildweasel74

Tells u how bad Leinster senior is for a start.

Duine Inteacht Eile

Why is it when their minor isn't bad?
How are the Dubs kicking on so much after 18?
I know lots of people point to the deck being stacked in their favour in terms of population, financially etc but I wonder why that isn't so evident at minor but completely explodes after it.