Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: JimStynes on July 23, 2019, 09:09:59 AM
Just after catching up on the last few days. They're blatantly back on the gear again aren't they!
Watched the highlights of Stage 15 last night and it looked punishing going up those narrow roads. I wouldn't fancy any stage in the heatwave due to to hit them even with a wee bit extra keeping you going!

JimStynes

Alaphilippe has had a few tough days there but Jesus he's made some improvement this past year and beating GC climbers with ease at times  :P
Still and all I've enjoyed watching this tour.

Haven't been on the bike much myself this past year. Only about 100mile in total this summer and every time I get on the bike I'm scared of getting killed! The roads are a disaster and people have less patience than ever. Anyone finding the same?

Orior

Quote from: JimStynes on July 23, 2019, 03:22:03 PM
Alaphilippe has had a few tough days there but Jesus he's made some improvement this past year and beating GC climbers with ease at times  :P

Haven't been on the bike much myself this past year. Only about 100mile in total this summer and every time I get on the bike I'm scared of getting killed! The roads are a disaster and people have less patience than ever. Anyone finding the same?

Not really. Have you changed the time of day when you cycle?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

JimStynes

Quote from: Orior on July 23, 2019, 03:46:45 PM

Not really. Have you changed the time of day when you cycle?

Nope. Had a few near misses and got injured then lost the way of it. Friend of a friend got killed cycling and that sort of finished me for a while.

Eamonnca1

An old route of mine was from Lurgan up through Aghagalon, Aghalee, Upper Balinderry, Crumlin, then over to Glenavy and back down to Moira and Lurgan via the airport road. I don't think I'd ride on the airport road now, I'd probably go back home on the back roads.

JimStynes

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on July 23, 2019, 06:18:39 PM

An old route of mine was from Lurgan up through Aghagalon, Aghalee, Upper Balinderry, Crumlin, then over to Glenavy and back down to Moira and Lurgan via the airport road. I don't think I'd ride on the airport road now, I'd probably go back home on the back roads.

That's the roads I would ride on. I love the spin up Dundrod and then back down through Crumlin and home. Great surface but deadly fast.

Clov

Can't see Alaphillipe holding on. Think a major blow up in Alps is coming.

Pinot looks the strongest climber in the race. Would love to see him win it.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

grounded

Nearly got cleaned a few times. What amazes me is quite often i dont think the driver even realises the danger they've caused. I always thought that this anti collision software that will engage automatically in vehicles to avoid accidents is bollix, but given the number of near misses that almost every cyclist ive talked to have experienced it can be no bad thing.     

I have started to go out later in the evening around 8 or so as things not as busy on the roads. Also ive always done a little bit of mountain biking which us a great escape from traffic.
      Funny on the flip side of things quite a lot of aggro between walkers and mountain bikers. With walkers complaining of the speed and dangerous manoeuvres  of some cyclists!

Abble

Quote from: grounded on July 23, 2019, 08:21:12 PM

Nearly got cleaned a few times. What amazes me is quite often i dont think the driver even realises the danger they've caused. I always thought that this anti collision software that will engage automatically in vehicles to avoid accidents is bollix, but given the number of near misses that almost every cyclist ive talked to have experienced it can be no bad thing.     

I have started to go out later in the evening around 8 or so as things not as busy on the roads. Also ive always done a little bit of mountain biking which us a great escape from traffic.
      Funny on the flip side of things quite a lot of aggro between walkers and mountain bikers. With walkers complaining of the speed and dangerous manoeuvres  of some cyclists!

Very similar to yourselves. On two separate occassions in the space of a week I had two scares. First as I approached a roundabout, lorry came swizzing by me at less than arms reach and then on another, a lorry was approaching in opposite direction but didnt some p***k in a van coming behind me think he would go on thru between me and the lorry, scared life out of me.

I am one of these ones sometimes I dont know what i am doing from one day to the next, family etc, work so I cant cycle regulary in any group. Thing is i love it and continue to go out. But also apart from those ignoramuses who think its a bit of craic to scare a cyclist half to death intentionally there will then be many drivers out who just pay absolutely no attention to the orad, i see it every day while I am out on the roads myself....I am kind of at the point, I know the risk I am taking putting myself in danger and its only a matter of time before I get clipped but I do love a good long 30 mile trek in country roads and I need it to keep some level of fitness up.

I now have a mountain bike also and find it a lot better fun and far safer (a lot less road use, more footpath with kids, parks, bike trails use etc)

GJL

I'm currently doing ~100 -130 miles a week but 90% of the time it is in a group of 4-6 riders. Drivers give a group a lot more room and respect than single cyclists. I go out the odd time on my own but don't like it.

oakleaflad

Ahh to be fair it's been coming. He's been immensely strong in mountainous breakaway stages in the past and the question always was when would he actually focus on GC as opposed to single stage wins. I'm still not sure he'll sustain it and Pinot or Thomas might pip him but he could end up turning in to a continuous GC contender nonetheless.

markl121

Every time I'm out on the bike these days there's at least one near miss, whether it's someone passing me close or the car passing me on a corner or a hill and near getting hit by an oncoming car, it's actually mental. Always out by myself although I wish I was out with someone else and just ride two abreast as by yourself cars just go straight by. I tend to be out in the evenings after work but round 8 or so the visibility is very poor due to the level of the sun, was driving the other day and was behind a cyclist and there were times where I just could not see him at all, scary stuff.

As for alaphillipe, I really hope he is clean, he's by far the most exciting rider in the peloton and just goes for it, it's a joy to watch.

maddog

Quote from: oakleaflad on July 24, 2019, 01:16:10 PM

Ahh to be fair it's been coming. He's been immensely strong in mountainous breakaway stages in the past and the question always was when would he actually focus on GC as opposed to single stage wins. I'm still not sure he'll sustain it and Pinot or Thomas might pip him but he could end up turning in to a continuous GC contender nonetheless.

Correct. He hasn't come out of nowhere, he is the world number 1 for a reason. Just hasn't been targeted at a 3 week race before. Although earlier in his career he was touted as the big french hope he was handed his ass a few times on longer climbs. Tour of California was the first time he showed being able to cope with high mountains although it is a lower grade race. This year Fleche Wallone, Milan San Remo, Strade Bianchi have all been big milestones in his development. His performances in the mountains so far fit in with what he has achieved to date so no massive shock there. His performance in the time trial was the major shock. But lets see what happens. It's been an excellent tour up to now.

bennydorano

Surprised I haven't seen it referred to, but at this stage he's doing pretty much what Tommy Voeckler did a few years back, hanging in there in the mountains when not expected to / puching above his weight - and Allaphillipe is in a different stratosphere to Tommy. I dont see Allaphillipe winning this year but a GT win is not an impossibility for him.

HiMucker

Anyone able to recommend a good bike rack? Its for 2 possibly 3 bikes, my mountain bike and the kids bikes. Id want something that is pretty handy to use, and take on and off. Cheers