Tipping

Started by Aristotle Flynn, June 20, 2008, 07:52:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aristotle Flynn

I heard a story recently about a pilgrimage to Lourdes where the parishioners passed round a collection for the pilot. I think that's mad. He probably earns more in a month that most of those old dears do in a year. There should be guidelines on tipping. I only tip in restaurants - never taxis or barbers.

What does everybody else do? 
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

ONeill

Cow tipping's great after a feed of stout and I suspect the cattle love it as well.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

I once tipped yer ma, HS. 3.30 at Haydock, yermazzadalek.

ziggysego

Big something anyway
Testing Accessibility

Zapatista

I was thinking about starting a thread on this the other day :-\

can you people please stop tipping. We do not tip in this country. Be it for a meal, taxi, hotel or whatever. We do not tip. All you tippers out there are making the rest of us look bad and are embarrassing us into paying higher prices for our services. If someone does you a good service you keep using that service and then give them something at Christmas. Otherwise they can sod off and you tippers can sod off too.

ONeill

Tis a good way, though, to make a point and leave a 3p tip.

Never been a waiter. We'd need to hear from them.

saffron sam2

If he had the aul fella's accuracy he would have missed.

Although the da did score two goals for Antrim on his senior championship debut, in a team managed by his da. The next person to achieve such a feat was the legendary Darren O'Hare.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Puckoon

I bartended and waited tables for years. Never made much in the way of tips - except the odd shout of have one for yourself. In omagh, that meant the price of a pint. In belfast that meant 20p. No kidding.

Its ridiculous over here and Im far too nice to people which costs me a f**king fortune. Ive no problems with tipping - and would tip at home in Ireland, but its the whole premise that gets me.

We go into a chain resturaunt (lets say red robin). I buy the food, the waitress brings the food, the cook makes the food. All three of these events help Red Robin to make their huge profits, yet Im the plonker thats expected to supplement the waitress' minimum wage with a tip (not even 10% anymore - 15% for half decent service) in order for her to make a living. She in turn is expected to tip the bus boys, the cooks and the manager.

Its the corporations that are killing it.

Also, tips are expected from:

Poker dealers
Tattoo artists
Hair dressers
Taxi drivers
Valet servers
Cocktail servers

Im sure theres more but I cant think of them and now Im mad. :D

fred the red

Are you supposed to tip hookers?

Puckoon

Quote from: fred the red on June 20, 2008, 09:59:52 PM
Are you supposed to tip hookers?

Leppers usually leave a tip.

TacadoirArdMhacha

See I like leaving a tip. Its just when its expected that it bothers me. If you expect a tip then add it to the price and stop making a cod out of both sides.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Fluffy Che

Dont mind tipping,silent or grumpy taxi drivers get nowt. Few years ago in the armpit of Indiana at a greasy spoon was served by the short-order cook who had an 9mm pistol strapped to his thigh...now he got a good tip!
Midnight to Six..

Maguire01

I was a waiter during my University years. Tips made up about half of what i made. I wouldn't have done the the job otherwise and I'm glad i don't have to do it any more. I've worked in factories, stacked turf in the bog and numerous other 'manual labour' type jobs and none of them were as tough as being a waiter - regular 12 hour shifts with one or two (very) short breaks if you were lucky and it was quiet.

As such, i would tip in restaurants, but only where it was earned.  For example, if the waiting staff were rude or unhelpful, they'd get nothing.  I also don't feel obliged to tip 10% if the bill is huge and a large proportion of it due to the cost of wine/alcohol, although if it's a big table, it's easy for everyone to stick in £2.

I also tip the hairdresser (if they do a decent job!) - just tell them to keep the change.  Have also let taximen keep the change, but that's the exception rather than the rule - i wouldn't be a fan of taximen in general.

Square Ball

I hate the way they add a service charge to parties of, say 10 and over. what is that all about?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid