U20 All Ireland series

Started by Farrandeelin, July 04, 2018, 10:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Said it before Disgrace Kerry were not allowed use their Senior Under 20 players. Makes the competition a farce. That's not sour grapes. Said this before the final result. Happy to see Kildare win a national title if not us. Just it does feel like a competition proper anymore.

whitey

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on August 06, 2018, 07:33:06 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on August 06, 2018, 05:22:31 PM
First half was a great game of football. Neither team played with a sweeper and it was real man on man, forward v defender. Some lovely scores by both teams.

Never seen anything like the red card before. He actually pushed the ref twice!!! It was only the second one that was caught by the tv cameras.

At the very a least 6 month suspension. The amount of people defending him/ claiming it's one of those things is incredible. He's not the first player in a minor or U21 game to be sent off in croke park and he won't be the last. You can't react like that and the GAA need to hand out appropriate punishment.

In the rule book it states that minor interference includes pushing or shoving which is only a 12 week ban, possibly 24 week with two pushes. If there was a strike he will be in a lot more trouble. The level of his rage is still hard to get my head around.

I heard the commentary in MidWest. Seemingly there was an ongoing ltussle off the ball initiated by the Kildare lad. Maybe Flynns frustration/rage with the officials was due to the inaction of the officials. The commentators implied that the officials seemed to be turning a blind eye to what was going on, and this was stated before he got carded

Captain Scarlet

There were a few little tussles going on alright but he was feckin wired. Like a Mayo man was booked for one too so local radio bias might have been in play a bit too.
Correct me if I'm wrong but Flynn also completely took out Kildare's corner back in the first half under the Cusack and it wasn't even a tick, when it was a blatant black.
It was far more than minor interference but i wouldn't like to see him hung out to dry.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Jinxy

Just copped that the ref was the same fella that Kevin McStay pushed during the Donegal game.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on August 07, 2018, 09:32:51 AM
There were a few little tussles going on alright but he was feckin wired. Like a Mayo man was booked for one too so local radio bias might have been in play a bit too.
Correct me if I'm wrong but Flynn also completely took out Kildare's corner back in the first half under the Cusack and it wasn't even a tick, when it was a blatant black.
It was far more than minor interference but i wouldn't like to see him hung out to dry.

That was at the start of the second half, it was Evan O'Brien. It was the far side of the pitch to me but looked a clear black. The ref played advantage and it ran on for a long time. The next break in play O'Brien was subbed off. The ref dodnt seem to be looking around for him though
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Tubberman

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 07, 2018, 11:31:12 AM

That was at the start of the second half, it was Evan O'Brien. It was the far side of the pitch to me but looked a clear black. The ref played advantage and it ran on for a long time. The next break in play O'Brien was subbed off. The ref dodnt seem to be looking around for him though

That was in front of me - I thought it was accidental collision, but could easily have been given a black alright.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

MayoBuck

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 07, 2018, 11:31:12 AM

I'm fairly certain that was Flynn midway through the second half. I remember wondering why they subbed off O'Brien straight away in case the ref came back and black carded Flynn. In hindsight getting a black card at that point would have been better for everyone.

Donnellys Hollow

A great day for Kildare football and just reward for the work started by Bryan Murphy and Syl Merrins over ten years ago. Hopefully this is not just a once off and we can push on now and consistently challenge at All Ireland level at minor and u20. Naas CBS winning the Leinster colleges this year bodes well for the future.

Obviously Jimmy Hyland has generated huge hype over the last few weeks and he lived up to all expectations on Sunday. He had that natural ability at schools level and at minor a few years ago but there was a fear that the cruciate injury would blunt his development. Not a bit of it. Physically he added a bit of bulk and he now looks a senior footballer in waiting. There will be plenty of corner backs from intermediate clubs around Kildare having sleepless nights thinking about the prospect of marking Jimmy over the next few weeks!

Brian McLoughlin and Aaron Masterson should make an impact at senior level once they fill into their frames a bit more. Going on his displays for Moorefield in the Leinster club championship, Mark Dempsey could have probably done a job for the Kildare seniors this year but credit to the senior management for resisting the temptation to throw himself and Hyland in after the Carlow debacle. Aaron O'Neill and Mark Barrett are still underage next year and I'd be inclined to take the same course of action again and leave them with their own age group.

Ruadhan Ó Giolláin was desperately unfortunate and he is another I think can make the step up next year. It was a nice touch by the team to visit him on the journey home. This group appear quite tightly knit and Davy Burke and his management team have excelled themselves as the year has gone on. This looked a long way off when we were leaking goals to Laois and Meath during the Leinster championship but the management learned and made the necessary changes. A feature of this team's run has been the impact that players off the bench have had. That was in evidence again on Sunday with John O'Toole in particular having a big impact despite his loss of form earlier in the campaign.

They certainly earned this All Ireland having beaten Dublin, Kerry and Mayo. Mayo had a few players who look like they have the potential to make an impact over the next few years. I thought the centre back Cathal Horan and the centre forward Ryan O'Donoghue were impressive and did more than most to keep Mayo in the game right until the end. I feel a bit of sympathy for Jordan Flynn. You can't condone what he did but Sunday might possibly be the biggest game he will ever play in and he will have to live with that memory for the rest of his life. The Mayo crowd sitting beside me said that he was known to have a short fuse and you could see that after half time. He took John O'Toole out of it with a late tackle under the Cusack Stand early in the second half and got involved with Jimmy Hyland a few minutes before the sending off. He'll get a long ban for the two incidents with the referee and rightly so but hopefully he'll learn from it.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 07, 2018, 04:25:12 PM
A great day for Kildare football and just reward for the work started by Bryan Murphy and Syl Merrins over ten years ago. Hopefully this is not just a once off and we can push on now and consistently challenge at All Ireland level at minor and u20. Naas CBS winning the Leinster colleges this year bodes well for the future.

Obviously Jimmy Hyland has generated huge hype over the last few weeks and he lived up to all expectations on Sunday. He had that natural ability at schools level and at minor a few years ago but there was a fear that the cruciate injury would blunt his development. Not a bit of it. Physically he added a bit of bulk and he now looks a senior footballer in waiting. There will be plenty of corner backs from intermediate clubs around Kildare having sleepless nights thinking about the prospect of marking Jimmy over the next few weeks!

Brian McLoughlin and Aaron Masterson should make an impact at senior level once they fill into their frames a bit more. Going on his displays for Moorefield in the Leinster club championship, Mark Dempsey could have probably done a job for the Kildare seniors this year but credit to the senior management for resisting the temptation to throw himself and Hyland in after the Carlow debacle. Aaron O'Neill and Mark Barrett are still underage next year and I'd be inclined to take the same course of action again and leave them with their own age group.

Ruadhan Ó Giolláin was desperately unfortunate and he is another I think can make the step up next year. It was a nice touch by the team to visit him on the journey home. This group appear quite tightly knit and Davy Burke and his management team have excelled themselves as the year has gone on. This looked a long way off when we were leaking goals to Laois and Meath during the Leinster championship but the management learned and made the necessary changes. A feature of this team's run has been the impact that players off the bench have had. That was in evidence again on Sunday with John O'Toole in particular having a big impact despite his loss of form earlier in the campaign.

They certainly earned this All Ireland having beaten Dublin, Kerry and Mayo. Mayo had a few players who look like they have the potential to make an impact over the next few years. I thought the centre back Cathal Horan and the centre forward Ryan O'Donoghue were impressive and did more than most to keep Mayo in the game right until the end. I feel a bit of sympathy for Jordan Flynn. You can't condone what he did but Sunday might possibly be the biggest game he will ever play in and he will have to live with that memory for the rest of his life. The Mayo crowd sitting beside me said that he was known to have a short fuse and you could see that after half time. He took John O'Toole out of it with a late tackle under the Cusack Stand early in the second half and got involved with Jimmy Hyland a few minutes before the sending off. He'll get a long ban for the two incidents with the referee and rightly so but hopefully he'll learn from it.

Will Davy Burke be in charge next year, interesting to say what he could do with those players? Leinster will be competitive next year as there was no outstanding minor team in 2017 (Dublin won it but during their run only beat Meath by 2 after extra time and Kildare by 5. Meath were the dominant u17 team last year beating Kildare by 4 and Dublin by 5. Laois could be thereabouts as well, two decent teams in 2017.

Also the group stages in Leinster will allow teams develop and a great addition, without it Kildare would not have won the AI.
#newbridgeornowhere

larryin89

Look Jordon will get his ban, a deserving one but this gawd bless us and save us brigade that surrounds GAA need to go away. Several Mayo people said he should never play again for Mayo , my response was to get a grip , if he his any addition to Mayo he should be added.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 07, 2018, 05:11:50 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 07, 2018, 04:25:12 PM

Will Davy Burke be in charge next year, interesting to say what he could do with those players? Leinster will be competitive next year as there was no outstanding minor team in 2017 (Dublin won it but during their run only beat Meath by 2 after extra time and Kildare by 5. Meath were the dominant u17 team last year beating Kildare by 4 and Dublin by 5. Laois could be thereabouts as well, two decent teams in 2017.

Also the group stages in Leinster will allow teams develop and a great addition, without it Kildare would not have won the AI.

I'd hope Burke will be in charge again next year. A lot depends on Cian O'Neill. If the senior job becomes available then Burke will definitely be on the shortlist.

Aaron O'Neill, Mark Barrett, DJ Earley, Daragh Ryan, Shane O'Sullivan, Jack Barrett and Jack Cully are eligible again by my reckoning. Possibly one or two others.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Dubhaltach

A lot of people claiming that Mayo should have adopted a sweeper but it's very hard to change to a defensive system when you have been playing an attacking brand of football in all of the games prior to the final. I think that we had to take them on in a shootout, the problem was that we could win very little primary possession around the middle.

The fact that we lost the game by only 2 points with at most 40% possession tells it's own story. I wouldn't blame management tactically but they do have to ship some of the blame for for not changing the restart strategy sooner. The amount of Kildare scores that came directly from Mayo kickouts was criminal and you can't expect to win an All-Ireland when that's going on.

All in all though, a very positive campaign considering there wasn't much hope for this group at the start of the year. I'd expect to see O Donoghue, Diskin, Colm Moran and maybe Flynn (if he can get his head right) introduced to the senior panel next year. Tommy Conroy has another year under 20 but he's another to watch down the line.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: larryin89 on August 07, 2018, 05:34:56 PM
Look Jordon will get his ban, a deserving one but this gawd bless us and save us brigade that surrounds GAA need to go away. Several Mayo people said he should never play again for Mayo , my response was to get a grip , if he his any addition to Mayo he should be added.

+1
FFS, he is still only a garsún and acted in the heat of the moment. Different if he was a few years older. I don't expect that he will get off lightly but for Chrissake, his detractors should have a sense of perspective.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

rosnarun

Quote from: larryin89 on August 07, 2018, 05:34:56 PM
Ive no doubt he will be back , when he serves what ever ban he gets . he has a good heads for advice around him.
the only danger is he'll go Egg chasing where such activity is lauded become the stuff of after dinner story legend
I reckon 6 months will see him right as it was a push rather than a strike , (and maybe a few classes in anger management )
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Blowitupref

18 week ban for Jordan Flynn, these bans should change to games instead of weeks IMO.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose