Legalise Poker in N. Ireland

Started by RealSpiritof98, January 04, 2012, 02:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RealSpiritof98

Simply put, poker should be legalised in N. Ireland. It makes no sense that games of chance, such as bingo and slot/fruit machines, as well as bookmaking, are all allowed while poker, which is a game of skill requiring maths, game theory, psychology and more, is not permitted. Make poker legal in N. Ireland like the rest of the uk and ireland. Like the page on face book and share it with as many people as possible.

www.facebook.com/.../Legalise-Poker...Ireland

Don't know if there's many poker players on this board but its scandalous that you cant have a game of poker in this day and age.

el_cuervo_fc

I noticed this on your facebook page and was intrigued.  I didn't actually realise it was illegal here.

RealSpiritof98

Aye a few of the organisers got on to me to spread the word.

Legally you can not hold a poker game above £3 entry fee and proceeds must go to charity.

There have been plenty of clubs and they by and large have been left to their own devices by the cops, but two clubs in Cookstown and Bangor were recently raided and told to shut down.  It make commercial sense for the North to open its doors to organised legal poker and its just plain stupid that the wife can legally gamble your hard earned 20 quid on a luckbox game like bingo but you cant take said 20 quid and play a game that requires skill, game theory and analysis (and a bit of gamble).

Orior

In the interests of balance, and shared understanding, and shared future, then I feel duty bound to stand up for the anti-poker group. In fact I bet you £100 (or 100 euro) that they would be never be on the GAABoard.

Keep poker illegal. Tis the past time of the devil.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on January 04, 2012, 03:34:58 PM
Aye a few of the organisers got on to me to spread the word.

Legally you can not hold a poker game above £3 entry fee and proceeds must go to charity.

There have been plenty of clubs and they by and large have been left to their own devices by the cops, but two clubs in Cookstown and Bangor were recently raided and told to shut down.  It make commercial sense for the North to open its doors to organised legal poker and its just plain stupid that the wife can legally gamble your hard earned 20 quid on a luckbox game like bingo but you cant take said 20 quid and play a game that requires skill, game theory and analysis (and a bit of gamble).

And a lock of pints down the road

Milltown Row2

So having the poker nights at friends and Texas games as fundraisers at clubs is illegal?

Had a night of this "illegal" gambling over the holidays, great nights craic, though i lost £30  :(. Had I have been out out on a night out in Belfast i would have spent triple that!!

Not sure though of actually going to a club to play it, would get cleaned out
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on January 04, 2012, 04:20:07 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 04, 2012, 04:05:25 PM
So having the poker nights at friends and Texas games as fundraisers at clubs is illegal?

Had a night of this "illegal" gambling over the holidays, great nights craic, though i lost £30  :(. Had I have been out out on a night out in Belfast i would have spent triple that!!

Not sure though of actually going to a club to play it, would get cleaned out

I tried to tell you this.

Quote from: hardstation on January 30, 2007, 01:12:44 PM
Quote from: milltown row on January 29, 2007, 03:21:45 PM
Naomh Gall Poker Night
No limit Texas Hold'em
Naomh Gall Clubhouse
Saturday 3rd February at 7:30pm (reg 7:15pm)
£10 Entry. No tickets needed just pay at the door.

Illegal!

You did, think I'll ask my boss (well he took my money, well he gave me it first, ha) for my money back!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

the waffler

yeah played a bit at the club in bangor think they have moved rather than closed but not 100% surely if it was legal they could tax it

The Iceman

I have no firm argument against legalising poker in the North. I wonder what people think of poker clubs popping up in towns and cities if it is legalised and people losing even more money (especially in this economy).
Yes there is skill and math and psychology involved but everyone playing doesn't win.

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

DrinkingHarp

You can play online, PokerStars has it setup were you can have "home games" were yourself and mates can play against each other and no one uninvited can play at your table. At least you can play online the States has closed down all poker sites online.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

The Iceman

I think it was banned in the states because playing online for points has led to an increase in young adult and youth gambling.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Gold

What about Strip Clubs while we're at it?--The North is one of the only places in the Western World where they are illegal.
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

RealSpiritof98

Quote from: The Iceman on January 04, 2012, 05:00:53 PM
I have no firm argument against legalising poker in the North. I wonder what people think of poker clubs popping up in towns and cities if it is legalised and people losing even more money (especially in this economy).
Yes there is skill and math and psychology involved but everyone playing doesn't win.

Why dont we ban all the KFC's, sure the poor people might spend too much money and get fat!!

Obviously everybody cant win all the time, but in all walks of life and sport there are entrance fees etc.  Surely if someone wanted to ruin his or her life with reckless gambling there are plenty of ways out there already.

Quote from: The Iceman on January 04, 2012, 05:29:51 PM
I think it was banned in the states because playing online for points has led to an increase in young adult and youth gambling.

Ahh come on, it was banned in the states because of tax regulations and supposed money laundering, it is due before the HoR for rules to regulate it, but we are talking here about live poker, still one of the most popular pastimes in the USA.

bcarrier

Quote from: DrinkingHarp on January 04, 2012, 05:13:36 PM
You can play online, PokerStars has it setup were you can have "home games" were yourself and mates can play against each other and no one uninvited can play at your table. At least you can play online the States has closed down all poker sites online.

There are still some US friendly poker sites according to this .

http://www.iphonebettingapps.com/

Apparently there was easy money to be made in early days but fewer ( US) mugs on line now.

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: The Iceman on January 04, 2012, 05:29:51 PM

The US Dept Of Justice pulled the plug on internet poker......I lost some $$$$$ because of that. They (DOJ) claimed the sites were being used for laundering money and also the US Govt was loosing out on all the $$$$$ flying thru without getting any (taxes).

The PPA (poker players alliance) is working with a few senators/congressmen to get a law passed to play online poker in the US.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014