Super 8s

Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Jases Trillick them must be strong tablets yer on!!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 21, 2017, 06:15:21 PM
Get rid of the league, keep the provincials and create a championship that would guarantee every county a minimum of 6 games on a Champions League format.

Cue the ability to lose a few games and win the All Ireland debate.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: thewobbler on February 21, 2017, 01:23:17 PM
I (personally, yes... me, everyone please look at me) did solve almost all the issues described in this thread, in a proposal a couple of years ago.

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=25868.msg1475581

People of course found a couple of new issues (such as when Tyrone endure both a dreadful league and provincial championship, their fans still expect them to be awarded a place in the last 16, plus some people expect the progress of weaker teams to be stymied, even though they'd be getting just as many games... and the majority of the them in an extremely competitive environment), but as I say, most of this thread's bugbears are put to bed.

Best thought out situation I've seen yet.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Zulu

Quote from: trileacman on February 21, 2017, 09:53:43 PM
And your wrong that everything needs to be entertaining. I didn't start supporting Tyrone or trillick as a kid because we were "entertaining". We were shite and played shite but it was our shite and I loved that. You've fallen into the Peter Mckenna trap that thinks the gaa is a product. Something to be bought and sold and glammed up to charge a consumer for. I don't need u2 playing at half time of the ai final or cheerleaders before throw-in for me to want to watch it and it's worth f**k all more if they bother to do that.

I don't need change for changes sake. I don't need a super 8 or 40,000 people at a interprovincial final. I don't need heated seats, hotdogs or overpriced pints of carlsberg. By all means change the game to accommodate club players or stamp down on cynicism or eradicate burnout.

But don't change the game to create "interest" or "entertainment" or increase gate revenue. People who turn up to gaa matches for entertainment should be refused entry and sent to the cinema.

Good man. That's the greatest load of bollocks I've read in a long time. Do you still go to matches by horse and trap, do you abuse fellas for drinking a latte from Starbucks when walking to the match rather than a flask of milky tae and a hang sandwich? Do you moan to your mates about the amount of women at the match with their fancy sunglasses or the Tyrone supporters that weren't at some poxy McKenna cup game in the arse end of January??

To say that kids will play their Dads game and won't be influenced by TV sports stars is so far from reality that I wonder if there's any hope of having a reasonable conversation about this with you. Christ almighty Ger Egan and Jimmy Barry Murphy's sons play professional soccer and they are two of the GAA's biggest icons, Seanie O'Leary's son plays rugby, Mick Galway jacked in IC football for rugby, Darren Sweetman jacked in IC hurling for Munster rugby and there's loads more. Ask the majority of Irish kids what they want to be when they grow up and it will be a professional soccer player. We have great games and a lot going for us but it serves nobody to ignore the reality of the competition we face.

By the way, I've often spoken about the benefits of changing our structures so this certainly isn't about change for change's sake it's about have a better structured more vibrant, interesting IC season that will allow clubs more certainty about when they are playing too. The current system doesn't do that so why anyone would want to keep it is beyond me.

trileacman

Judging by the way your rhyming off players who left gaa for rugby or soccer it's obvious your pre-occupied by both of them. I'll leave you to dream up a "format  that reflects modern society", whatever the fcuk that's supposed to mean. More than likely it's one with group stages, sin bins, bigger goals and a rule preventing anyone from handling the ball bur the goalie.

The facts will be though in 10 years Leitrim will still be shite and getting hammered, there still be an elite set of teams, clubs will still be at loggerheads with the counties and we'll have another plethora of experts fit to fix all the ills of the world with things like seeding and 5 dedicated matches a year.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Syferus

Don't worry Zulu. Dublin will still win the AI no matter what the format is.

Duffy distracting people with an argument over format when the real one is season length and funding. The GAA at its most typical.

trileacman

There was a lad here who posted the 7 or 8 current problems with the championship a year or two ago in one of those threads. If someone remembers it and could dig it up it where all debate on this issue should eminate from. Most of the changes suggested address only one problem of the current system and create 2-3 more.

Wobblers is a sound suggestion but even it has its flaws, however the positives far outweigh the negatives. The problem is that a radical solution such as his is needed to address the current problems. The gaa democratic structure however is completely unable to pass such radical ideas as congress is so wide and such broad consensus is needed that only small piece meal changes can be made. This means some round robin/ champions league shite will be foisted on us and address simply no issues apart from the one that it's been a few months since we did something reckless.

Short of some benevolent dictator seizing gaa hq in the morning I hold out no hope for reasonable well-thought changes coming from Gaa congress hence I am opposed to any changes they may make or dream up. A champions league group here or a round Robin there achieve f**k all really and stand out as change for changes sake.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Avondhu star

Quote from: Zulu on February 21, 2017, 10:19:50 PM
And your wrong that everything needs to be entertaining. I didn't start supporting Tyrone or trillick as a kid because we were "entertaining". We were shite and played shite but it was our shite and I loved that. You've fallen into the Peter Mckenna trap that thinks the gaa is a product. Something to be bought and sold and glammed up to charge a consumer for. I don't need u2 playing at half time of the ai final or cheerleaders before throw-in for me to want to watch it and it's worth f**k all more if they bother to do that.

I don't need change for changes sake. I don't need a super 8 or 40,000 people at a interprovincial final. I don't need heated seats, hotdogs or overpriced pints of carlsberg. By all means change the game to accommodate club players or stamp down on cynicism or eradicate burnout.

But don't change the game to create "interest" or "entertainment" or increase gate revenue. People who turn up to gaa matches for entertainment should be refused entry and sent to the cinema.

Good man. That's the greatest load of bollocks I've read in a long time. Do you still go to matches by horse and trap, do you abuse fellas for drinking a latte from Starbucks when walking to the match rather than a flask of milky tae and a hang sandwich? Do you moan to your mates about the amount of women at the match with their fancy sunglasses or the Tyrone supporters that weren't at some poxy McKenna cup game in the arse end of January??

To say that kids will play their Dads game and won't be influenced by TV sports stars is so far from reality that I wonder if there's any hope of having a reasonable conversation about this with you. Christ almighty Ger Egan and Jimmy Barry Murphy's sons play professional soccer and they are two of the GAA's biggest icons, Seanie O'Leary's son plays rugby, Mick Galway jacked in IC football for rugby, Darren Sweetman jacked in IC hurling for Munster rugby and there's loads more. Ask the majority of Irish kids what they want to be when they grow up and it will be a professional soccer player. We have great games and a lot going for us but it serves nobody to ignore the reality of the competition we face.

By the way, I've often spoken about the benefits of changing our structures so this certainly isn't about change for change's sake it's about have a better structured more vibrant, interesting IC season that will allow clubs more certainty about when they are playing too. The current system doesn't do that so why anyone would want to keep it is beyond me.

Whos Ger Egan and Darren Sweetman?
Maybe you mean John Egan and Darren Sweetnam.
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

rosnarun

you got to love the written on the back of a fag box solutions to the championship format , these pages show the exact problem. we have 4 or six 'Solutions' to the problem
and We cant' even agree what the problem is . find a joint solution to cure all theses ills if you can
a) too much intercounty football
b) too little  intercounty football
c) burnout and 'abuse of player'
d) players not getting enough games
e) Clubs being pushed around by county boards/ management,fixture schedule
f) counties out of the championship in June still running club championship in October due to some minor/u21 involvement?
g) too much time wasted on provincial games
h) at least with provincial games 4 counties get to win something
one of my own
i) the curse of hurling the drawing up of fixture is always reliant of making room for hurling in some counties halving the number if Sunday's available
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Avondhu star on February 22, 2017, 09:18:10 AM
Quote from: Zulu on February 21, 2017, 10:19:50 PM

Whos Ger Egan and Darren Sweetman?
Maybe you mean John Egan and Darren Sweetnam.

Midfielder for Westmeath, didn't know he had a young lad  :P
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 21, 2017, 09:50:17 PM
Tipperary voted to support the proposals tonight, despite a strong statement from Liam Kearns against the motion.

Saw that, Duffy's trip to Tipp to influence the hurling crowd was worth it in the end. Mayo and Kerry going to support the stupidly named Super 8s too. Never thought I'd say it but fair play to Cork, they are voting against it. Only thing the Super 8s has going for it IMO is that the GPA are supposed to be coming out against it. Maybe there is some merit in it there somewhere so.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

tippabu

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on February 22, 2017, 09:56:10 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 21, 2017, 09:50:17 PM
Tipperary voted to support the proposals tonight, despite a strong statement from Liam Kearns against the motion.

Saw that, Duffy's trip to Tipp to influence the hurling crowd was worth it in the end. Mayo and Kerry going to support the stupidly named Super 8s too. Never thought I'd say it but fair play to Cork, they are voting against it. Only thing the Super 8s has going for it IMO is that the GPA are supposed to be coming out against it. Maybe there is some merit in it there somewhere so.

Tipp football bored,  management, players all completely against it, no surprise it was voted through....would have had better chance if we went for it and said it would be beneficial to tipp football almost certainly would've been voted no here then

yellowcard

The GAA's concerted campaign drive seems to bearing fruit. Offer a few extra quid into the coffers of cash strapped county boards and it is amazing how the loyalty of county delegates can be swayed.

Jinxy

An illustrious career in FF awaits Duffy if he ever jacks in the DG job.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Syferus on February 22, 2017, 12:34:41 AM
Don't worry Zulu. Dublin will still win the AI no matter what the format is.

Duffy distracting people with an argument over format when the real one is season length and funding. The GAA at its most typical.
Does his proposal not shorten the season?
Quote from: rosnarun on February 22, 2017, 09:32:40 AM
you got to love the written on the back of a fag box solutions to the championship format , these pages show the exact problem. we have 4 or six 'Solutions' to the problem
and We cant' even agree what the problem is . find a joint solution to cure all theses ills if you can
a) too much intercounty football
b) too little  intercounty football
c) burnout and 'abuse of player'
d) players not getting enough games
e) Clubs being pushed around by county boards/ management,fixture schedule
f) counties out of the championship in June still running club championship in October due to some minor/u21 involvement?
g) too much time wasted on provincial games
h) at least with provincial games 4 counties get to win something
one of my own
i) the curse of hurling the drawing up of fixture is always reliant of making room for hurling in some counties halving the number if Sunday's available

Nicely summarised.