Aussie Flu

Started by Hereiam, January 08, 2018, 09:33:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hereiam

What is the craic with this flu is it just media scaremongering or is it a real treat to healthy people

WT4E

Very real - Pomeroy Plunketts GAA in mourning this morning as one of their senior footballers passed away early this morning - Reports it was Aussie Flu.

Very sad.

Milltown Row2

Bad all over, had a doctor in with me last week and she said that they are coming down with it in both the clinics she works at in Belfast and its not the usual run of the mill flu.. Ive a very bad cold at the minute so I hope it doesnt get any worse as afriend of mine, his wife has been struck down for 8 days...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

haranguerer

Quote from: WT4E on January 08, 2018, 09:53:03 AM
Very real - Pomeroy Plunketts GAA in mourning this morning as one of their senior footballers passed away early this morning - Reports it was Aussie Flu.

Very sad.

I doubt that, unless another condition exacerbated the situation greatly - its still flu, won't be fatal unless other factors involved

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: haranguerer on January 08, 2018, 10:18:10 AM
Quote from: WT4E on January 08, 2018, 09:53:03 AM

Very sad.

I doubt that, unless another condition exacerbated the situation greatly

Apparently it was, led to some heart complications.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Milltown Row2

Just read about this young mans death, on social media, very sad.. RIP
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

magpie seanie

The so called "Aussie flu" is the flu that was here last year (A1 strain???). If you've got the flu jab you're covered. There's another strain here this year (B1 I think) that the flu jab only gives limited cover to and is a nasty dose too. Apparently it's 50/50 between the two which is supposedly unusual. It's not too late to get the flu jab. Next 4-6 weeks will see a lot of the virus....I'm getting the jab tomorrow. I usually have got it but so one reason or another haven't got it yet this winter.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 08, 2018, 08:12:49 PM
The so called "Aussie flu" is the flu that was here last year (A1 strain???). If you've got the flu jab you're covered. There's another strain here this year (B1 I think) that the flu jab only gives limited cover to and is a nasty dose too. Apparently it's 50/50 between the two which is supposedly unusual. It's not too late to get the flu jab. Next 4-6 weeks will see a lot of the virus....I'm getting the jab tomorrow. I usually have got it but so one reason or another haven't got it yet this winter.

Too young and fit to get the jab!

Puckoon

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 08, 2018, 08:27:41 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 08, 2018, 08:12:49 PM

Too young and fit to get the jab!

Wrong.

omaghjoe

At the risk of being thrown in the dungeon as an antivaxer..... Ive a few questions

Is there any good reason for not getting a flu shot?
Is there any point to putting a load of chemicals, preservatives and other crap into my body that I probably wont need?
Do medical professionals play it save and use the law of averages for the population when dealing with individuals and thereby declare that pretty much everyone should get it.
Am I making my immune system weaker in the long term?

magpie seanie

I'm not a scientist so I think you should maybe read some peer reviewed reliable information on this topic. My answers to your questions below in order. I'm open to correction but I'd be confident enough in my answers.

I don't see any reason not to get it.

I don't believe the description of the contents of the dose you give below are accurate from my understanding of vaccines. As for the "probably won't need" comment - it's not possible to quantify but I'd say it's more and more likely you will need your flu immunity boosted.

I would say definitely not in this case. To be fair, that's not how most of them think. They target those most at risk and encourage them to get vaccinated.

There's no way you're making your immune system weaker. You're making it stronger.

Quote from: omaghjoe on January 09, 2018, 06:23:03 AM
At the risk of being thrown in the dungeon as an antivaxer..... Ive a few questions

Is there any point to putting a load of chemicals, preservatives and other crap into my body that I probably wont need?
Do medical professionals play it save and use the law of averages for the population when dealing with individuals and thereby declare that pretty much everyone should get it.

Puckoon

None

Rather angled description of the vaccine. Think of a flu shot as insurance for your car/home. Hopefully you never need those either but you avail of their protection. The flu shot usually has the virus itself. That virus is deactivated by miniscule amounts of formaldehyde. Yes. Sounds scary and awful but it's in the parts per tens of millions. Usually there's an adjuvant like aluminum, again the PPM range. Then there's some gelatin. A common stabilizer which keeps the vaccine suitable for use between manufacture and administration. It's usually porcine gelatin so many vaccines will come with a warning for those with pork allergies.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Puckoon on January 09, 2018, 04:04:29 PM

None

Rather angled description of the vaccine. Think of a flu shot as insurance for your car/home. Hopefully you never need those either but you avail of their protection. The flu shot usually has the virus itself. That virus is deactivated by miniscule amounts of formaldehyde. Yes. Sounds scary and awful but it's in the parts per tens of millions. Usually there's an adjuvant like aluminum, again the PPM range. Then there's some gelatin. A common stabilizer which keeps the vaccine suitable for use between manufacture and administration. It's usually porcine gelatin so many vaccines will come with a warning for those with pork allergies.

Wish I had pork allergies over xmas!

So can anyone avail of the flu jab? I thought the very young and the old only

playwiththewind1st

I was working for one of the Councils & they offered it free of charge to all staff through Boot's every winter. Presumably cheaper than having staff going off sick. If you went a full year without going off sick, you got an extra day's leave. Two or more sick free years & you got a max. of 2 additional days' leave.

BennyCake

Over a winter there are numerous strains of flu. A flu in October will be different to one in March. How can the jab cover all strains? It can't.

I won't be getting a jab. I think they do far more harm than good.