Next Laois football manager

Started by SCFC, July 30, 2019, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joeythelips

Wait, newsflash. The Laois senior football managers role is NOT the most attractive role in the country? I am shocked. It looks like Johns ultimate role would be to be manager of Kerry senior footballers and good luck to him.

Plenty of journey men have come to Laois taken a few coins of silver and done sod all, he took the role and brought the team back to Div 2, in other word he did a good job. Other people noticed this, not just the people on this message board and now he has other offers.

The guy is from Kerry so his long term plan may be to move back one day or should we call him names if he does this? I would imagine Quirkes long term goal would be to manage Kerry seniors also, if he wants a shot at it he would have to also improve Laois, would you not be willing to accept this? or would you rather we appoint Luke Dempsey

thegreeenandgold

Firstly I did not call anyone names.

It's an avenue to the Kerry Senior Job but is that any way certain ?  A lot of uncertainties in that for a man who lives in Portlaoise.

I thought we were talking about Laois GAA, not a talent academy for Kerry ?  Is that the limit of our ambitions !  I would much prefer to be like Monaghan, Roscommon or Armagh, have some pride in your County.  Better "One day as a Lion than a life time as Lamb". 

Kerry have won 5 minors but U20 has been underwhelming with Jack O Connor for all the reasons that we know be it the Calendar and rule on inter-county players.

High Fielder

A talent academy for Kerry? What are you even talking about? The man lived in Portlaoise and knew plenty about local football already. Enough to sort the wheat from the chaff which a lot of previous coaches had a hard time doing. What is your net point exactly? That you object to people wishing him well? That you think we're an academy for Kerry? I'm a little lost in the blurb

thegreeenandgold

Kerry have not exactly been prolific at U20/U21 grade winning Munster 3 times since 2000 and 1 All Ireland.  Not exactly a pathway to managing Kerry Seniors.

High Fielder

He's a Kerryman first and foremost. That carries a lot of weight. As for other reasons, they may be plentiful or few. Who knows? We were told nothing, just to keep the money flowing and trust that everything is being done correctly. That isn't enough though. This episode has left a very sour taste in the mouth of a lot of people, and I include myself in that. The only thing I blame Sugrue for is not being honest with supporters. That showed a lack of respect. But maybe if we knew the full story, I could be in a position to withdraw that remark. I pay a lot of money to Laois GAA and devote a lot of my free time as well. It's not good enough to be treated this way

Don Draper

Quote from: thegreeenandgold on October 08, 2019, 01:49:39 PM
Kerry have not exactly been prolific at U20/U21 grade winning Munster 3 times since 2000 and 1 All Ireland.  Not exactly a pathway to managing Kerry Seniors.
Peter Keane
Eamon Fitzmaurice
Jack O Connor
Pat O Shea
JOC
Paidi
Ogie

How many of them didn't manage Kerry U20 sides or an underage side for Kerry?

thegreeenandgold

Don't disagree with you Don but success was the key to all those appointments for some unknown reason of late Kerry have not been that good at U20/U21.  I would see this as a bit of coup for Kerry to get a young up and coming man with inter county management experience as their U20 manager and who know where that goes.  John Sugrue gets albeit with a  gamble back into the reckoning for Kerry. 

But my gripe is Laois, what do we get ?  We got shafted.  This is an absolute sicker and while I like John and I rate him as a manager.  Going on like nothing has happened and wishing him luck as he moves on to better things while we trudge on in the shit is not my idea of a good time.   

High Fielder

But what do you want? What would you like/expect to happen?

Blow-in

Killian Whelan very vocal on Twitter. Someone replied to him saying Sugrue had to buy the water for a challenge game

Helix.

Quote from: Batman!!! on October 08, 2019, 04:33:34 PM
Killian Whelan very vocal on Twitter. Someone replied to him saying Sugrue had to buy the water for a challenge game

If I'm not mistaken was it said before that there was no team doctor for example appointed this year (anyone can confirm this) That'd be more concerning. Along with whatever list of demands he had while he was in charge that wasn't fulfilled. Champagne dreams on a lemonade budget springs to mind and if he's not getting the backing from County Board financially and with appropriate structures he's right to walk. I also imagine the u20 job came up after leaving the Laois job rather than leaving to go manage Kerry u20s. You can hardly begrudge him managing his home county. Sure wasn't he involved in 08 with the all Ireland winning team.

I can imagine money was tight across the board especially with the hurlers going well and trying to compete to some degree at both grades.

clonadmad

Quote from: Helix. on October 08, 2019, 06:20:06 PM
Quote from: Batman!!! on October 08, 2019, 04:33:34 PM

If I'm not mistaken was it said before that there was no team doctor for example appointed this year (anyone can confirm this) That'd be more concerning. Along with whatever list of demands he had while he was in charge that wasn't fulfilled. Champagne dreams on a lemonade budget springs to mind and if he's not getting the backing from County Board financially and with appropriate structures he's right to walk. I also imagine the u20 job came up after leaving the Laois job rather than leaving to go manage Kerry u20s. You can hardly begrudge him managing his home county. Sure wasn't he involved in 08 with the all Ireland winning team.

I can imagine money was tight across the board especially with the hurlers going well and trying to compete to some degree at both grades.

I can confirm that

High Fielder

Maybe they should start charging all their mates for admission and car parking. That would yield a nice few quid

Laois Rising

In fairness to Laois county board the cost of running teams has become astronomical. in 2018 over 3/4 million euro spent on our intercounty teams. With hurlers going further this year I imagine that figure could be higher again for 2019. While managers are right to look for best of resources, it is unrealistic for a smaller county like Laois to be able to compete with resources that a county like Dublin, Kerry or Mayo can pump into their teams. These counties can tap into wealthy business people both here and abroad who see potential returns (All-Ireland success) for their significant contributions. We do not have that luxury. It is next to impossible for smaller dual counties to adequately provide for both hurling and football teams. While our county board often comes in for a bashing here, they can only operate within the confines of a set budget.

High Fielder

If you're right LaoisRising, then getting a lad in from Kerry is a false economy. He's already costing more than Sugrue and what happens if he's successful and the hurlers have another good year? We lost a good man somehow and I have a feeling we have yet to see the full repercussions. Anyway, the coffers will be nicely bulging after yesterday. Good crowd and 20 euro to get in. Hopefully the hangers on paid like the rest of us

Giovanni

I thought 20 euro entry and 4 for the program was hefty enough for that match yesterday.