The Official UFC Thread

Started by RONAN, February 05, 2008, 11:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Yair is a star in waiting and the key to them breaking into Mexico. That fight was an embarrassment though. Penn had no business in there with him at his age and after so much downtime. At the weigh in he said "kicking ass is timeless." 'Fraid it's not BJ, I'm afraid it's not. For the love of God retire again for good.

The Gs Man

Penn looked like an old man alright.  Looked completely out of shape.

First time seeing Rodriguez too.  Really liked him.  His kicking was unreal. 

Where is he in the rankings?
Keep 'er lit

gallsman

Tenth with an 8 fight win streak. He'll be knocking on the door after another fight I'd say. Everyone above him had already been demolished by McGregor, Aldo or Holloway.

The Iceman

I'd like to see Mendes in their with Yair. I think it would be a good fight and make sense.
As gallsman said BJ had no business in there - what I don't get is the deterioration in skills in such a short period of time.  Yes he hasn't fought in about 2 years but he was in the gym, surely he was sparring, surely he was working on his conditioning? He looked like I would if I went in there against a professional. I was shocked and saddened to see him take such a beating. I suspect there's something else going on behind the scenes...
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Walter Cronc

Thinking of going to the UFC in London in March. Tickets on sale next week.

I'm a bit of a novice fan. What you lads make of the line up?? Worth going or waste of money!

Brad Pickett (GB) vs Henry Briones (MX)
Leon Edwards (GB) vs Vicente Luque (BR)
Mark Diakese (GB) vs Teemu Packalen (FI)
Tom Breese (GB) vs Oluwale Bamgbose (US)
Bradley Scott (GB) vs Scott Askham (GB)
Darren Stewart (GB) vs Francimar Barroso (BR)

The Iceman

so far the card on paper isn't great in terms of big name fighters.
However, the night will be determined by the fights. They could be all out wars with KO's and crazy submissions or they could be snoozers with no real action. The names don't always make the fights - its all about the matchups....There has to be more names to come at the top. Pickett is not a headliner.  I'd say Bisping maybe? Or a recognizable name that would draw a crowd...
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

gallsman

Quote from: The Iceman on January 18, 2017, 01:28:54 PM
I'd like to see Mendes in their with Yair. I think it would be a good fight and make sense.
As gallsman said BJ had no business in there - what I don't get is the deterioration in skills in such a short period of time.  Yes he hasn't fought in about 2 years but he was in the gym, surely he was sparring, surely he was working on his conditioning? He looked like I would if I went in there against a professional. I was shocked and saddened to see him take such a beating. I suspect there's something else going on behind the scenes...

He was awful two years against Edgar in fairness.

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 18, 2017, 05:11:27 PM
Thinking of going to the UFC in London in March. Tickets on sale next week.

I'm a bit of a novice fan. What you lads make of the line up?? Worth going or waste of money!

Brad Pickett (GB) vs Henry Briones (MX)
Leon Edwards (GB) vs Vicente Luque (BR)
Mark Diakese (GB) vs Teemu Packalen (FI)
Tom Breese (GB) vs Oluwale Bamgbose (US)
Bradley Scott (GB) vs Scott Askham (GB)
Darren Stewart (GB) vs Francimar Barroso (BR)

Assume this would be in the middle of the night like Manchester?

Gabriel_Hurl

that was a PPV - I don't think they will be doing that for a Fight Night card like this

Smokin Joe

Did you see the Russian heavyweight, Oleksiy Oliynyk, in the Prelims in Phoenix?

He was on his back taking a good few punches when he choked the guy on top of him.  I've only recently started watching UFC; but I've never seen that before.
The guy on top had him mounted and looked to be in control,  the next thing he tapped out.

Actually, I just googled and apparently it was the first time it was done in the UFC, but it's the 11th time Oliynyk has done it in his career!! https://www.mmanews.com/oleynik-ezekiel-choke-breakdown/
http://mmajunkie.com/2017/01/how-did-ufc-fight-night-103s-aleksei-oleinik-sink-the-first-ufc-ezekiel-choke-he-laid-a-trap

Walter Cronc

Cheers for the response guys. I've no idea on how much the tickets will be either.

Frig it. Think I'll go if I can.

gallsman

Tickets meant to be at least as expensive as UFC 204 was in Manchester. Joke for a non-PPV card with a lineup that absolutely stinks at the minute. Pickett's retirement fight so should be a half decent atmosphere though.

The Iceman

Quote from: gallsman on January 18, 2017, 06:23:26 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on January 18, 2017, 01:28:54 PM

He was awful two years against Edgar in fairness.
I agree thats why I think its a good next fight for him - proving ground

gallsman

I'm talking about BJ - he last fight two years so and was soundly beaten. Last won a fight six years ago. I don't think there's anything sinister going on behind the scenes - think he's just shot and has been for years.

As for Yair, Mendes is suspended for the next 18 months. Stephens or Swanson would be good matches for him.

oakleaflad

Bisping out of action until May with an injury