Leinster U-20 Football Championship 2019

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, April 23, 2019, 02:01:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

High Fielder

Let's not fabricate something that at the moment doesn't exist. It was an exceptional year for the hurlers and a decent enough year for the footballers. In both codes, we are a long way off the top sides in the country, so neither code can thumb its nose at the other and even if it could, it would be meaningless to do so. The make up of our county makes it very unlikely that we'll ever be really competitive in either code. The numbers are just not there. We rely as ever on an exceptional bunch to win us something. The reality is that in top counties, players are being discarded that could do a job for the likes of us. I'm being deadly serious when I say that we could do worse than try and get some players back who may have some Laois blood in them. The key for us is to try and get lads committed to Laois, its pitfalls and its lack of glamour. We can only keep trying, and in fairness, both codes did as well as they could this year.

Chrimtain

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I wasn't able to be at the match on Friday evening, but I was able to watch it on TG4. I will be shot down for these observation, but was indiscipline a problem with this team? The referee did us no favours, that goes without saying, but the Laois management appeared to become wrapped up in an ongoing battle with the referee and linesmen and I wonder did the players eventually fall into the same trap? With the camera focussing on the Laois management a lot, the TG4 commentator seemed amused at the ongoing battle of words that was going on.

Perhaps I am way off he mark, but someone who was the match remarked to me that, to him, the Dublin players appeared to be a lot less verbose than some of the Laois lads.

High Fielder

I felt their frustration Chrimtain. It just felt like he was trying to get under our skin. The best refs are the ones you don't see, but he was attracting plenty of focus. At key moments, he made decisions that knocked us off our stride. He wasn't the difference between winning and losing by a long chalk, but he was a sickening little Kildare p***k. They're usually the worse kind of sickening little pricks in my experience.

Chrimtain

Quote from: High Fielder on July 22, 2019, 10:43:41 AM
I felt their frustration Chrimtain. It just felt like he was trying to get under our skin. The best refs are the ones you don't see, but he was attracting plenty of focus. At key moments, he made decisions that knocked us off our stride. He wasn't the difference between winning and losing by a long chalk, but he was a sickening little Kildare p***k. They're usually the worse kind of sickening little pricks in my experience.

Fair enough High Fielder. I accept that a bad referee can make the most disciplined of teams lose their cool, and, in fairness, when I saw this Laois team in earlier rounds, there did not appear to be a problem with discipline at all.

High Fielder

Frustration brings out the worst in fellas. We were struggling to get a foothold at times and this jumped up little gobshite seemed determined to drive the nail in. But getting back to the team, it was a massive dose of reality for some of them. We looked weak side by side with the Dubs. Our conditioning was miles behind. Their basics, tackling, passing and movement, were streets ahead of ours. It's becoming clear that coaching in the county is old fashioned and just poor. We cannot expect our Senior coaches to make silk purses out of sow's ears, and I know that's not the best phrase to use. But let's not kid ourselves. We have a lot of work to do at underage.

Don Draper

Lads need to learn to handle adversity better. Its weak to say the referee is to blame for any or part of it. Our reaction to the referee is a reflection of our own mindfulness. This is as much a requirement nowadays as S&C. I hope these players are encouraged to learn and grow from and not allowed to blame "that Kildare p***k" as some would have it. Nothing will be gained in defeat if this is allowed.

High Fielder

They were my words, but it was widely accepted that he did us no favours. I haven't met anyone yet who blamed him for the defeat. The responsibility for that rests with ourselves. But it did need to be said all the same

The PRO

Quote from: High Fielder on July 22, 2019, 11:13:23 AM
They were my words, but it was widely accepted that he did us no favours. I haven't met anyone yet who blamed him for the defeat. The responsibility for that rests with ourselves. But it did need to be said all the same
Correct. It's not impossible for the referee to be poor (which he was) and also not the cause of our defeat. Felt sorry for young Mohan who had a brilliant game and at an important stage in second half was fouled coming out with the ball, turned over and ref correctly then gave a free in to Dublin. Was a free out first all day long.
Huge gap between the two teams though. Not dissimilar to senior really. Dubs first, everyone else miles behind.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: thegreeenandgold on July 21, 2019, 07:59:53 PM
Quote from: vetoldthe on July 21, 2019, 07:49:59 PM
There are lots of good young footballers in our County,
but after watching our seniors, u20, and minors this season
we are crying out for a top class coach,
when Eddie Brennan got the job over our hurlers the first thing
he did was to get a first class coach [Niall Cororan]
the improvement in that team in 8 or 9 months was hard to beleive
their skill level and first touch was much improved,
they were well drilled,
there tackling was very good,
and tracking back,
and got their match-ups good,
they worked their socks off,

So until we get top coaches over our footballers
we are going to stay at the same level and never get near the big teams.

Why did the Hurlers win something ?  They did pretty much the same at Senior Level as the footballers,  at U20 level and Minor the footballers were far more competitive.  Joe McDonagh is essentially Intermediate, I'd be happy to come back and listen to you next year when they back it up.

Well if you want to be smart, yes they did, they won the Joe McDonagh Cup, surely that at least matches a Division 4 league final?
Also beat a team ranked higher than them in the championship.
Haven't seen any such snide remarks about the Laois Senior Football team.
The reality is that they are around the same level. A good bit better than the lower half ranked teams and a good bit off the next level (Top 8 in football, top 9 in hurling). As of this year the hurlers have closed the gap a little, the footballers haven't. The reverse was true last year. No biggie.
Try to keep the bitterness under wraps like a good boy.

Also, your argument re Minor & u20 doesn't stack up at all.
Minor footballers drew with Carlow and beat Longford & Westmeath. Lost a semi final
to eventual champions Kildare.
Minor hurlers beat Kildare, Antrim & Westmeath. Lost a quarter final to eventual champions Wexford.
That's practically an identical run.

The U20 footballers beat Kildare, Westmeath & Meath before being well beaten by eventual champions Dublin.
The U20 hurlers with a much tougher draw were well beaten by Kilkenny (eventual champions) first day out.
The difference here was largely the draw and games to prepare, but the footballers took advantage of it & had a couple of good wins.

I see no evidence that the minor & u20s were far more competitive.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

thegreeenandgold

Minor Footballers beaten by 3 points by Kildare I'd say that's more competitive than the hammering dished out by Wexford.

As for U20's stop it

Your points fair enough on Seniors.

The PRO

Quote from: vetoldthe on July 21, 2019, 07:49:59 PM
There are lots of good young footballers in our County,
but after watching our seniors, u20, and minors this season
we are crying out for a top class coach,
when Eddie Brennan got the job over our hurlers the first thing
he did was to get a first class coach [Niall Cororan]
the improvement in that team in 8 or 9 months was hard to beleive
their skill level and first touch was much improved,
they were well drilled,
there tackling was very good,
and tracking back,
and got their match-ups good,
they worked their socks off,

So until we get top coaches over our footballers
we are going to stay at the same level and never get near the big teams.
Sugrue brought in two coaches this year with the seniors. I thought the seniors had a decent enough year. Sean Cotter was one and a fellow Kerryman of Sugrue was the other. Can't recall his name.
I think O'Loughlin could have done with a really top level coach in his backroom team.
Know nothing about Donncha and the minors regarding level of coaching.
Corcoran seems to be the real deal with the hurlers alright.

blueandwhite1

We are behind the times in a few different areas. Teams will only get so far at any age level now without playing to a well drilled system. Looking at the U20s on Friday there was plenty of individual skill and promising players for the future but the setup seemed very 1992 like. Pumping the ball into a static and big full forward. Who does that any more? Not filtering your forwards back to tackle and harrass? Not having a well drilled (and low risk) kick out strategy. We also don't get the ball forward fast enough, can't tackle and can't break a tackle. Maybe it's too much to expect that level of organization at under age but it is a limiter. Dublin were extremely well organized and took advantage of our structural weaknesses. We seem to rely on individual brilliance. Physical conditioning can come later but some of the other skills and instincts need to be coached at a much earlier stage.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: thegreeenandgold on July 22, 2019, 01:12:01 PM
Minor Footballers beaten by 3 points by Kildare I'd say that's more competitive than the hammering dished out by Wexford.

As for U20's stop it

The minor footballers were lucky to draw with Carlow. Do you want to keep playing this game?
How do you think the U20 footballers would have competed if they had drawn Dublin in the first round?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Keyser Söze on July 22, 2019, 04:17:51 PM
Quote from: thegreeenandgold on July 22, 2019, 01:12:01 PM

As for U20's stop it

The minor footballers were lucky to draw with Carlow. Do you want to keep playing this game?
How do you think the U20 footballers would have competed if they had drawn Dublin in the first round?

Lads, this is a completely pointless and unhelpful discussion. There will be no winners.

Silkyskillssunshinee

Hurlers had the better year at Senior level. They have an opportunity now to build on this year and try to stay up in the Leinster championship next year. I saw enough from the minor and U-20 hurlers to know that they can bring more talent into the squad in the coming years.

The footballers had an average enough year in the championship, but more importantly gained promotion and will play Division 2 football next year. The standard of league football is crucial because it helps teams get up to the intensity required for playing the big boys in the championship.

The minor and U-20 footballers also have an array of talent throughout the squad, but to turn them into Senior footballers a lot of work needs to be put in with their S&C.

I just hope that both Sugrue and Brennan stay on. Those two men are some of the main reasons why football and hurling has been turned on its head in the county and there's the possibility of a bright future for Laois in both codes.