Electric Cars. Real aternative or ego boosters?

Started by Denn Forever, September 02, 2019, 02:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Hardy on September 04, 2019, 10:08:55 PM
Quote from: Ball Hopper on September 04, 2019, 05:48:30 PM
Porsche called it a Taycan?  Really?  Irish guy on staff having a bit of fun?

I see it runs $150,900 for the basic taycan, with the turbo S model at $185,000.

Some taycan for that money.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/04/porsche-debuts-teslas-newest-competition-with-the-all-electric-taycan.html

They're Taycan the piss.

Thought this electric technology would defeat the extraction process?  I'm not up to watt is all about, shockingly.

omaghjoe

As far as the environment goes it's prob less CO2 but in terms of overall environment fairly dubious.... depends on other factor... how electricity is generated, manufacturing methods materials etc. Heard about a scheme in Maderia where the cars would have solar panels charge themselves and charge the grid at night...interesting to see if its a runner.

Everyday driving in the city at least tho they seem very feasible... biggest obstacle atm would be cost.

As far as self driving cars go did they ever get the liability issue sorted out? https://mobile.twitter.com/SethWageWar/status/1102712751313498112?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-9945005493595046887.ampproject.net%2F1908231648370%2Fframe.html

Eamonnca1

With EVs you at least open up the possibility of getting energy from renewables. With an internal combustion engine you don't have that option. EVs are part of the solution, but they don't claim to be the whole solution.

Franko

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 05, 2019, 07:15:15 AM
With EVs you at least open up the possibility of getting energy from renewables. With an internal combustion engine you don't have that option. EVs are part of the solution, but they don't claim to be the whole solution.

Biodiesel?

tyroneman

The Tesla cars look great, seem to perform great and havea  decent long range option.

Are the big drawbacks

a) the fact you can only get them seviced in Dublin
b) the worry that Tesla as a company might go bust?

rosnarun

they are grand as novelties buy for them to become common place there need to be huge infrastructure put in place. where I work the are 2 charging points for 600 cars if there were even 300 EV who would pay for the extra power points
Would rural areas ie. anyway west of the Shannon  have the power supply to keep all these cars running. I know the power grid in mayo is strained at the minute and the esb now have to fork out huge compensation payments to each land holder to make changes to power lines. for 6 to 15K a pylon as well as community contributions who would pay for that? 
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

thebigfella

Quote from: Ambrose on September 04, 2019, 04:29:30 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 02, 2019, 05:49:46 PM
The biggest fear for me would be the repair costs when something goes tits up.

Warranty, then extended warranty if you plan to keep it.

The new Porsche Taycan looks interesting, definitely the best looking EV so far, though still unmistakably a Porsche. The new interiors on the current model range are a huge step forward also.

Yeah I love that Taycan - serious cash over the model S though and would want to see the range in everyday use rather than quoted figures.

Plenty of stuff in the pipeline from other manufacturers as well in the next year or 2.

whitey

Almost bought a Tesla 6 months ago but got a hybrid instead

Living in New England I need an AWD and the range in the wintertime would have been an issue for me.

I know a bunch of people who have Tesla's and they would never go back to a gasoline fueled car. Some guys are on their 2nd.

I'm not mechanical, but I guess there's shag all that can go wrong with them. Believe it or not some of the "repairs" can be done remotely (online) and in Metro Boston they also have a technician who'll come to your house or business and fix your car without having to bring it into the shop

Ambrose

Quote from: thebigfella on September 05, 2019, 11:54:18 AM

The new Porsche Taycan looks interesting, definitely the best looking EV so far, though still unmistakably a Porsche. The new interiors on the current model range are a huge step forward also.

Yeah I love that Taycan - serious cash over the model S though and would want to see the range in everyday use rather than quoted figures.

I thought the Taycan was going to be priced around the £70k mark, is there not an entry level model? The Turbo S badge is usually the preserve of the best of the road going versions of the 911 range.
You can't live off history and tradition forever

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Franko on September 05, 2019, 07:28:34 AM

Biodiesel?

Maybe. I hear the NOx emissions can be a bit high, but a lot depends on the blend. Could be useful for jet fuel.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 06, 2019, 06:23:39 PM
Quote from: Franko on September 05, 2019, 07:28:34 AM

Biodiesel?

Maybe. I hear the NOx emissions can be a bit high, but a lot depends on the blend. Could be useful for jet fuel.

Is it for sustainability or CO2 they are floated as a solution for? Big problems either way when used en mass.

David McKeown

Was there not an issue with how how batteries are made for EV. I remember reading a few years back that most were Nickel Cadium and the production process was so bad for the environment that you had to north of 100k to offset the carbon footprint of manufacturing the batteries. Is that still the case?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Ambrose

Quote from: Ambrose on September 06, 2019, 05:01:20 PM
Quote from: thebigfella on September 05, 2019, 11:54:18 AM

I thought the Taycan was going to be priced around the £70k mark, is there not an entry level model? The Turbo S badge is usually the preserve of the best of the road going versions of the 911 range.

Porsche have announced a 'cheaper' 4S version of the Taycan, starting at £83K, though with a few options such as the additional battery pack and a few creature comforts you won't have much change out of £100k.

https://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/porsche-taycan/201843/porsche-taycan-4s-revealed-with-563bhp

armaghniac

My grandma used to bring my Grandda his lunch  a taycan and sandwiches.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Ambrose

I got an extended test drive in a Model S earlier in the year, other than the blistering pace, they really are fast in a straight line and the extended range, they don't have a lot going for them. The build quality is awful, doesn't come close to European standards. The paintwork is dire, orange peel effect all over the car, it should never have passed any quality control inspection. I've noticed the same problem on a lot of their cars, but you'd expect more on a demonstrator. The infotainment system is good, but the interior is decidedly low rent. Added to a non existent dealer network, I can't see a reason to buy one, especially at those prices.