Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DownFanatic

Anyody any footage/clippings regarding St Malachy's All Ireland U-16 Vocational Schools victory in 1982 or the Down Juniors All Ireland triumph in 1946?

When We Win

With regard to the Under 21 appointment, let it be. He will not be everyones choice, he will more than like be quite a few other peoples choice. And there will be a few who dont care either way. I doubt someone with no knowledge of the game would take up the appointment and it is unfair for someone to question his cv based on the theory that they were not seen at such and such a game. There are plenty of knowlegable people sit at home and watch matches on the TV. Just because you dont attend does not mean you have got no idea on football. I think there is plenty on the panel to get the right results.

maldini

I dont think Collins deserves this sort of personal abuse before he has even started his job

good luck to him

6th sam

Quote from: fairplay on November 26, 2009, 03:46:45 PM
Quote from: spiritof91and94 on November 26, 2009, 12:09:17 PM
Quote from: thegael on November 26, 2009, 10:51:41 AM
Mid Down ofcourse they should be judged that way. My issue is how in the name of God he got the job.He has zero managerial track record bar a little with div 4 annsborough!!!!
I am told he is not even a member of the gaa .
He would be laughed at if he went for any decent club job he hasn't the cv and it is absolutely ludicrous that he was appointed in the first place!
Things need to be done properly could you imagine him getting a managerial job with any top club team - no way he just hasn't the experience.As a long time follower of Down football club and county I have never seen him at a game. Yes he might go to the silly nostalgic functions about the 90 s teams and plays the great respectable game of golf with old teammates - yawn yawn but he isn't a football man he hasn't got the experience!It is madness to have appointed him ! He probably is a nice fella but going straight in as a county under 21 manager is madness beyond belief !
How in 2009 can such appointments be made at least mc cartan did his time served his apprenticeship so to speak with queens , burren, st galls and ballinderry but collins has not - this is a serious issue ans this should not have happened!

Mr & Mrs Neil Collins are Life Members of Ath Bhriain GLC and he regularly attends our games. He has assisted many clubs and county teams in the past on a voluntarily basis without hesitation - he wanted the job and got it - now get over it and support the guy.
Paddy Hardy, Tom Potter & Brendan Mckernan are a good backroom team and their knowledge will be invaluable.
I believe you when you say about NC being a Life Member but is he an active member of the GAA?  I doubt not-I have never seen him at Club game at league Div 1 and 2  nor  at Club Championship matches  unless he attends Div 3 or 4 matches. I have never witnessed him at a County  NL game or at a Senior Championship game.
    Who were the others interested in the post?

No disrespect to you fairplay,but I have attended many county and club games-the fact that I don't see any particular individual at a game,does not mean he wasn't there,and even if he wasn't,that he is unfit to take a county team.Maybe we should devise some sort of clocking in system,whereby any prospective county managers over the next 10 years,report to yourself and "the gael" at all club and county games,to confirm their attendance.Maybe we should ask Sean Rooney to stagger all club games throughout the county over each weekend to enable potential candidates to see all games held in the county,just in case any future All Star might slip through the net.No,it's time to start living in the real world, and get on with the business of getting Down back to the top.

DownFanatic

When asked, Neil Collins always came down to Dundrum to help out with the training of our goalkeepers. He also seemed to me to be a very articulate man.

charlieTully

Mid Down ofcourse they should be judged that way. My issue is how in the name of God he got the job.He has zero managerial track record bar a little with div 4 annsborough!!!!
He would be laughed at if he went for any decent club job he hasn't the cv and it is absolutely ludicrous that he was appointed in the first place!
Things need to be done properly could you imagine him getting a managerial job with any top club team - no way he just hasn't the experience.As a long time follower of Down football club and county I have never seen him at a game. Yes he might go to the silly nostalgic functions about the 90 s teams and plays the great respectable game of golf with old teammates - yawn yawn but he isn't a football man he hasn't got the experience!It is madness to have appointed him ! He probably is a nice fella but going straight in as a county under 21 manager is madness beyond belief !
How in 2009 can such appointments be made at least mc cartan did his time served his apprenticeship so to speak with queens , burren, st galls and ballinderry but collins has not - this is a serious issue ans this should not have happened!

did you get passed over for the job buddy?

down6061689194

If Mickey Harte wasn't a member of the GAA he would loose all his tactical knowledge and understanding of the game!

Don't talk balls. Member or not its suitability.

And Ive never, ever seen Ross Carr or POR at a game. So of course, they weren't there, and the selectors couldnt have been there if he wasn't. Apparently ::)

Really the view that being a member of the GAA is key to understanding anything about the Football or that they have to be seen at a game by yourself is a load of rubbish.

I hope he wins Ulster and proves The Gael very wrong.

Also why are people suggesting Down have a good chance this year. Last years team did very well to get to the final and played very good football and, at times, above themselves. Quickly thinking, a lot of the top quality players are gone.

If Neil Delivers and Ulster, its a job well done IMO

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: down6061689194 on November 26, 2009, 07:12:47 PM
If Mickey Harte wasn't a member of the GAA he would loose all his tactical knowledge and understanding of the game!

Don't talk balls. Member or not its suitability.

And Ive never, ever seen Ross Carr or POR at a game. So of course, they weren't there, and the selectors couldnt have been there if he wasn't. Apparently ::)

Really the view that being a member of the GAA is key to understanding anything about the Football or that they have to be seen at a game by yourself is a load of rubbish.

I hope he wins Ulster and proves The Gael very wrong.

Also why are people suggesting Down have a good chance this year. Last years team did very well to get to the final and played very good football and, at times, above themselves. Quickly thinking, a lot of the top quality players are gone.

If Neil Delivers and Ulster, its a job well done IMO

Paddy ORourke dosent attend games? well you mustened be at too many because Paddy is a regular attender at games. Many off last years team and subs are stil underage and there are many new additions available, if selected. I really have high hopes and again all the best to Neil and his management team.

down6061689194

I sarcastically insinuated that because I don't see these guys at games when they are county manager, they musnt be there.

13aside

My experience of Neil Collins is that he is an intelligent,articulate,organised and determined man who has a wealth of experience and knowledge of Gaelic football behind him.lets not have endless drivel about the appointments and wish them well and let them get on with it

Bacon

Anything happen at any of the Divisional Conventions? Who are running for the main offices at the County Convention?
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

spiritof91and94

Quote from: fairplay on November 26, 2009, 03:46:45 PM
Quote from: spiritof91and94 on November 26, 2009, 12:09:17 PM

Mr & Mrs Neil Collins are Life Members of Ath Bhriain GLC and he regularly attends our games. He has assisted many clubs and county teams in the past on a voluntarily basis without hesitation - he wanted the job and got it - now get over it and support the guy.
Paddy Hardy, Tom Potter & Brendan Mckernan are a good backroom team and their knowledge will be invaluable.
I believe you when you say about NC being a Life Member but is he an active member of the GAA?  I doubt not-I have never seen him at Club game at league Div 1 and 2  nor  at Club Championship matches  unless he attends Div 3 or 4 matches. I have never witnessed him at a County  NL game or at a Senior Championship game.
    Who were the others interested in the post?

Get a life ffs.

bcarrier

Was Neil involved in management of any of Queens Sigerson sides ?

I'd say he will be Ok . Knowledge of varsity form as important as club games at U-21 level...and backroom can cover the other no uni lads.

Tomorrow is another day

how did the Darragh Cross v Shamrocks game go?

Out in Front

F-T - Shamrocks 3-7 (16) Darragh Cross 1-11 (14)
H-T - Shamrocks 2-4 Darragh Cross 0-7