Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banna Man

Quote from: dodgy umpire on November 30, 2009, 01:49:00 PM
in relation to the shamrocks game, is it true the referee was changed for it? the CB wouldn't want division three football being played in pairc esler maybe.....?

Once again Shamrocks survive the cull. Is it true DJ is lining out for shamrocks next year?

supersub

Quote from: 13aside on November 29, 2009, 10:01:32 PM
did u20 football games go ahead and any results from the weekend?

Burren won the SD u20 final against clonduff
Mayobridge won the B final by 3 against Rostrevor

Bitta-Banter

Quote from: DownFanatic on November 29, 2009, 10:29:04 PM
Darragh down today. An ageing team that may struggle to get back to Division 2.

DX have 3 players over 30,started 2 minors in the relegation playoffs who both did well,and have good set of 16s movin up into minor next year so i wouldnt worry about age DF.
Div 3 will be tough for all teams next year.

maldini

Quote from: When We Win on November 30, 2009, 10:09:12 AM
Darragh Cross will be kicking themselves that they didnt win this one. They were probably the better team for much of the game but will rue three goal gifts to Shamrocks. A goal straight after half time seemed to be the nail in the coffin for Darragh especially as they were playing into a gail force wind but the dominated from then onwards. Shamrocks played welll against the wind in the first half and the fact they got the two goal probably made life a little easier in the second half. Darragh kept in the game with a a few good frees with wind advantage but could have been doing with a bit more luck around the middle of the park. Ref also gave them little despite some dubious tackling from the shamrocks. Last minute of the game Darragh were denied what looked like a deserved penalty when their forward was shooting for goal and was foot blocked. The ref was rubbish. One of the Darragh players was virtually assulted just before half time and nothing happened despite the presence of 4 neutral linesmen. Newry corner forward was also throwing his weight about but was left licking his own wounds in the second half after coming out second best in a scuffle he started. I heard at the game that he is a bit of a thug after what happened at a previous game.
As for the game itself, it was a decent perforemance from Darragh playing some good football in the conditions but Newry looked the hungrier in the first half and will be glad to get over this one. The pitch looked terrible and as though the cows have been on it for the past few weeks. Its a shame there is not a flat pitch in the county that this game could be played on.
As for the comment about the age of the Darragh players, i was looking at the intermediate final programme and the majority of the playens and in their early to mid twenties. Would hardly say they are an aging team. There is probably three players at most getting to their pasture time.

u raise some interesting points here, yeah the shamrocks number 15 (who scored one of the goals and a few points) assaulted a cross man earlier in the season off the ball knocking out his tooth, the county disciplinary committee failed to take any action, despite the fact that the county secretary was at the game and only yards from the incident and said after the game that he saw it happening.

on the pitch - there are plenty of flat pitches about that it could have been played on - Ballykinlar, Mayobridge, Downpatrick??

these arent excuses for the defeat, shamrocks took their chances and won the game fairly, just a few points id like to bring up

DownFanatic

Quote from: Bitta-Banter on November 30, 2009, 04:38:26 PM

DX have 3 players over 30,started 2 minors in the relegation playoffs who both did well,and have good set of 16s movin up into minor next year so i wouldnt worry about age DF.

Gerard Marks, Sean Timoney, Fintan Murray, Paddy Murray, Pat McMahon, Dermot Timoney, Mark Canavan, Eugene Murray, Tom McMahon, Gareth McGovern and Liam Sloan must all be at least 30 or over. To me that looks like an ageing panel.

dundrumite

Must say if I was from Darragh, I woud be very annoyed with the whole situation surounding that play off.

Banna Man

Quote from: maldini on November 30, 2009, 04:46:26 PM
Quote from: When We Win on November 30, 2009, 10:09:12 AM
Darragh Cross will be kicking themselves that they didnt win this one. They were probably the better team for much of the game but will rue three goal gifts to Shamrocks. A goal straight after half time seemed to be the nail in the coffin for Darragh especially as they were playing into a gail force wind but the dominated from then onwards. Shamrocks played welll against the wind in the first half and the fact they got the two goal probably made life a little easier in the second half. Darragh kept in the game with a a few good frees with wind advantage but could have been doing with a bit more luck around the middle of the park. Ref also gave them little despite some dubious tackling from the shamrocks. Last minute of the game Darragh were denied what looked like a deserved penalty when their forward was shooting for goal and was foot blocked. The ref was rubbish. One of the Darragh players was virtually assulted just before half time and nothing happened despite the presence of 4 neutral linesmen. Newry corner forward was also throwing his weight about but was left licking his own wounds in the second half after coming out second best in a scuffle he started. I heard at the game that he is a bit of a thug after what happened at a previous game.
As for the game itself, it was a decent perforemance from Darragh playing some good football in the conditions but Newry looked the hungrier in the first half and will be glad to get over this one. The pitch looked terrible and as though the cows have been on it for the past few weeks. Its a shame there is not a flat pitch in the county that this game could be played on.
As for the comment about the age of the Darragh players, i was looking at the intermediate final programme and the majority of the playens and in their early to mid twenties. Would hardly say they are an aging team. There is probably three players at most getting to their pasture time.

u raise some interesting points here, yeah the shamrocks number 15 (who scored one of the goals and a few points) assaulted a cross man earlier in the season off the ball knocking out his tooth, the county disciplinary committee failed to take any action, despite the fact that the county secretary was at the game and only yards from the incident and said after the game that he saw it happening.
on the pitch - there are plenty of flat pitches about that it could have been played on - Ballykinlar, Mayobridge, Downpatrick??

these arent excuses for the defeat, shamrocks took their chances and won the game fairly, just a few points id like to bring up

You mean Mr see no evil speak no evil hear no evil He is the three monkeys all right

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: T O Hare on November 30, 2009, 01:05:26 PM
Any word on the new Down panel, I heard the two Clarkes have made it!!!!!

There is a meeting off the new panel tonight. from what i hear its going to be a large squad and trimmed at a later stage.

Bitta-Banter

Wrong again Down Fanatic,most of fellas you mentioned are between 27 and 30,when players are reckoned to be in their prime.

Eartotheground

What we talkin about

[/quote]

You mean Mr see no evil speak no evil hear no evil He is the three monkeys all right
[/quote]

Eartotheground

Lol anyone booked there hotel in Dublin for september yet.....

When We Win

Quote from: DownFanatic on November 30, 2009, 05:25:37 PM
Quote from: Bitta-Banter on November 30, 2009, 04:38:26 PM

Gerard Marks, Sean Timoney, Fintan Murray, Paddy Murray, Pat McMahon, Dermot Timoney, Mark Canavan, Eugene Murray, Tom McMahon, Gareth McGovern and Liam Sloan must all be at least 30 or over. To me that looks like an ageing panel.

From oldest to youngest:
Pat McMahon
Tom McMahon
Fintan Murray
Gareth McGovern
Dermot Timoney
Sean Timoney
Mark Canavan
Gerard Marks
Liam Sloan
Eugene Murray
Paddy Murray

From Sean Timoney down they are in their 20's. Pat didnt play in the final game and the other old boys i would have say got the upper hands. I would say most teams in div 1 have pleanty of boys around this age in their squad. Maybe there is going to be a senior player cul this year. Be a bit like the mad cow scenario where we could get a few quid for each one we trade in  :) Sure is the average age of Crossmaglen not in about 30 for that matter. No comparing Darragh Cross to Crossmaglen on this point.

supersub

T O Hare

Heard there is four Kilcoo, six from Burren,and  three from the bridge!!!!!!!!!!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: supersub on December 01, 2009, 04:06:55 PM
Any word on the down panel?

T OHare got that correct. Panel off 45 there last night with under 21s not considered at this stage. Mickey Magee is stil involved although Jackie Lynch, John Fegan and Jason Brown are not selected. By the sounds off it Mickey Walsh will be the bridges 4th representative when recovered from a recent operation. Burren having six men is a joke.