Meath V Tyrone Qualifier Round 1 Saturday 9th June 2018

Started by never kickt a ball, May 28, 2018, 11:42:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

westbound

I'm not really getting what you are trying to say jinxy.

Looking from outside, meath have plenty to play for. A good run in Leinster would have given them a great chance to get to the super 8's.
The super 8's is being viewed by many as 'sucess'.

In addition, Meath had plenty to play for in division 2 league this year.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Jinxy on May 29, 2018, 01:31:52 PM
Longford and Carlow have something to play for though.
Look at the reaction to their respective wins.
They took two 'scalps', i.e. defeated counties who are traditionally more successful than them.
A successful (and I use the term loosely) Leinster campaign for Meath in the current climate would involve beating Kildare.
We know we are a hundred miles off Dublin.
I don't mean any disrespect to Longford or Carlow who were full value for their wins.
It's not arrogance, so much as it is a kind of malignant and subconscious apathy.
The players do the training, eat the right food etc. but it's as if they've forgotten all of that stuff is a means to an end, and not an end in itself.
We used to have cold-blooded killers playing for us.
They might not have been the best trainers, or had the best diet, but when they went on the field they refused to give an inch and refused to give up no matter how far behind they were.
With the benefit of hindsight, I think we were too hasty and got rid of some of our best footballers in recent years because they weren't athletes.
Now, we're in some kind of limbo where we don't have enough footballers to beat a team of footballers and we don't have enough athletes to beat a team of athletes.

Meath are between a Rock and a Hard place. No credit is given for beating anyone in Leinster bar Kildare. Same for Kildare on the reversal. Dublin are so far ahead that there is nothing to motivate players. Most won't give the commitment because they know they will just be ridiculed if they fail. Dublin have sucked the life out of Leinster.

Jinxy

Quote from: westbound on May 29, 2018, 02:22:08 PM
I'm not really getting what you are trying to say jinxy.

Looking from outside, meath have plenty to play for. A good run in Leinster would have given them a great chance to get to the super 8's.
The super 8's is being viewed by many as 'sucess'.

In addition, Meath had plenty to play for in division 2 league this year.

Beat Longford and play Dublin in Croke Park.
Would that be a good run?
I'm hoping there will be a kick from the lads against Tyrone because we now have something tangible to play for.
a) it's game over if we lose
and,
b) we are playing a superior team, but not 'Dublin-level' superior, at home.
My prediction is that we might well play our best game of the year and still lose.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Jinxy

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 29, 2018, 03:03:49 PM
They took two 'scalps', i.e. defeated counties who are traditionally more successful than them.
A successful (and I use the term loosely) Leinster campaign for Meath in the current climate would involve beating Kildare.
I don't mean any disrespect to Longford or Carlow who were full value for their wins.
It's not arrogance, so much as it is a kind of malignant and subconscious apathy.
The players do the training, eat the right food etc. but it's as if they've forgotten all of that stuff is a means to an end, and not an end in itself.
They might not have been the best trainers, or had the best diet, but when they went on the field they refused to give an inch and refused to give up no matter how far behind they were.
With the benefit of hindsight, I think we were too hasty and got rid of some of our best footballers in recent years because they weren't athletes.
Now, we're in some kind of limbo where we don't have enough footballers to beat a team of footballers and we don't have enough athletes to beat a team of athletes.

Meath are between a Rock and a Hard place. No credit is given for beating anyone in Leinster bar Kildare. Same for Kildare on the reversal. Dublin are so far ahead that there is nothing to motivate players. Most won't give the commitment because they know they will just be ridiculed if they fail. Dublin have sucked the life out of Leinster.

This +1000.
Glad someone who isn't from Meath or Kildare can see it.
Dublin will obliterate Longford and whoever they play in the final, and there's a strong chance both of those teams will be easy pickings in the qualifiers as their morale will be on the floor.
That's what the Leinster championship does to you.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Farrandeelin

Meath are between a Rock and a Hard place.

Let them stay there for as long as possible.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

joemamas

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 29, 2018, 03:43:56 PM

Wonder what the outspoken bullshit artist Bernard has to say.

Btw, even as a Mayoman I feel for the genuine Meath folk on here, Jinxy and the Juice, they are so correct on the Leinster issue, however on the flip side, given the population explosions in both Meath and Kildare over last twenty years, it is some what mindboggling to say the least how bad they both are.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: joemamas on May 29, 2018, 05:23:55 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 29, 2018, 03:43:56 PM

Wonder what the outspoken bullshit artist Bernard has to say.

Btw, even as a Mayoman I feel for the genuine Meath folk on here, Jinxy and the Juic, they are so correct on the Leinster issue, however on the flip side, given the population explosions in both Meath and Kildare over last twenty years, it is some what mindboggling to say the least how bad they both are.

Me too  :) And football is worse off without Meath there challenging Dublin.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

You'd miss them alright.
No matter what disasters might befall them during a game v Dublin the old Meath would keep battling away and still frighten the sh1te out of them.
They had contempt for just about everyone.
Sad times when people are feeling sorry for them.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Just like Kilkenny did in the hurling . But sitting on your arse and whining about how unfair it is isn't great either. The great Meath teams Boylan built never got anything handed to them.
You win by doing the iterations. You win by learning. Kilkenny played Galway 11 times since 2009 and won 10. But nothing lasts forever. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYj-24PmwsE&t=54s

The Dub empire will also fall. Teams like Meath and Kildare have to find players who can see beyond this year and who want to do the work to build up into something. A losing psychology is hopeless.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

The only solution I can see is the 10 normal Leinster counties playing for a Leinster trophy every season with Dublin being freed to play more competitive A vs B games instead. I'd propose 2 groups of 5 with each team gettting 2 home and 2 away games. 2nd and 3rd in each group going into quarter finals with the two group winners getting home semi finals.
Possibly split north and south so it would be a group A of Longford, Louth, Meath, Offaly and Westmeath with group B comprising Carlow, Laois, Kildare, Wexford and Wicklow. The winner could even enter the All Ireland series at some stage.

seafoid

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on May 29, 2018, 08:37:41 PM

The only solution I can see is the 10 normal Leinster counties playing for a Leinster trophy every season with Dublin being freed to play more competitive A vs B games instead. I'd propose 2 groups of 5 with each team gettting 2 home and 2 away games. 2nd and 3rd in each group going into quarter finals with the two group winners getting home semi finals.
Possibly split north and south so it would be a group A of Longford, Louth, Meath, Offaly and Westmeath with group B comprising Carlow, Laois, Kildare, Wexford and Wicklow. The winner could even enter the All Ireland series at some stage.
It could be called the Stockholm Cup
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

thejuice

Going back to an earlier point Jinxy made, this Longford team had a good record against us at underage and so didn't fear going up against us at senior. Pretty sure they beat us twice in the last 5 or 6 years at Minor level.

I'm not asking for anyone's pity or for a restructuring of any competition. We just haven't got our house in order yet but I think we are slowly getting there I hope. The current state of the senior squad is just something we'll have to put up with for now because there's no amount of tweaking or fiddling with the engine is going to turn a Fiat Punto into a Porsche 911.

That said still no reason why we shouldn't ram our Punto into the side of the red and white Honda Civic that's coming down the N2 in a few weeks.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

rrhf

I think of all the provincial championships Leinster is the most fcuked. The all Ireland is pretty much going the same way though.  However with the population explosions in Kildare and Meath does the extensive  funding for Dublins coaching and development stop at the border of these counties.   If so how can that be justified as these counties are highly populated also and need more resources than before. 
Because that in itself would be a major part of the problem.  All kids need access to the best coaching for our games throughout the island and if centrally funded it should go beyond the needs of the Dubs. 
Obviously there are other factors as well but from the sound of it new clubs need to be created in Kildare and Meath in areas of high density population. Just the same as Dublin did. 
The management of the Leinster GAA situation is obviously lacking in wit never mind resources, not just the individual counties.   

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: rrhf on May 29, 2018, 10:28:38 PM
I think of all the provincial championships Leinster is the most fcuked. The all Ireland is pretty much going the same way though.  However with the population explosions in Kildare and Meath does the extensive  funding for Dublins coaching and development stop at the border of these counties.   If so how can that be justified as these counties are highly populated also and need more resources than before. 
Because that in itself would be a major part of the problem.  All kids need access to the best coaching for our games throughout the island and if centrally funded it should go beyond the needs of the Dubs. 
Obviously there are other factors as well but from the sound of it new clubs need to be created in Kildare and Meath in areas of high density population. Just the same as Dublin did. 
The management of the Leinster GAA situation is obviously lacking in wit never mind resources, not just the individual counties.

Leixlip and Confey needed to amalgamate at minor level last season, I imagine it is a different story 5 minutes up the road in Lucan.