Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

This is obviously bad news for Clones. The Ulster Council need a proper strategy for this. If Casement is going to be 40,000 capacity, then maybe Clones should be reduced to 25,000 and modernised; or maybe Casement should be developed with 25,000 capacity with a roof and all the bells and whistles.

The Ulster Council should be looking at the bigger picture here and not just building something big for the sake of it.

ardmhachaabu

Bring it on.  About time Casement was redeveloped.  It should be the primary stadium for any big games in Ulster
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

andoireabu

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on October 06, 2010, 07:01:10 PM
Bring it on.  About time Casement was redeveloped.  It should be the primary stadium for any big games in Ulster

Why should it be?  Just because it is in Belfast?

I think the place is away completely when there is money set aside for three stadia when there is cuts everywhere else.  And i don't like the "if its not used it will be lost". who makes the decision that it is lost and where is it lost to?
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: andoireabu on October 06, 2010, 07:37:52 PM
Why should it be?   Just because it is in Belfast?

I think the place is away completely when there is money set aside for three stadia when there is cuts everywhere else.  And i don't like the "if its not used it will be lost". who makes the decision that it is lost and where is it lost to?
Transport links.  Clones is a nightmare to get to and anyway it wouldn't be considered as it doesn't fall within the jurisdiction.  If the GAA are getting the money to build from the government then I don't see that any reason not to redevelop Casement could be a good enough one
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

andoireabu

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on October 06, 2010, 07:43:54 PM
Quote from: andoireabu on October 06, 2010, 07:37:52 PM
Why should it be?   Just because it is in Belfast?

Transport links.  Clones is a nightmare to get to and anyway it wouldn't be considered as it doesn't fall within the jurisdiction.  If the GAA are getting the money to build from the government then I don't see that any reason not to redevelop Casement could be a good enough one
Would somwhere in the middle of the province not benefit everyone a bit better than Casement?  Ones from Donegal and Fermanagh don't really feel the transport links benefits if it takes longer getting home from a game with the only advantage being not sitting in a queue.  Personally i would rather sit in a queue for a while and get home sooner than be on the road for longer.

ardmhachaabu

ziggysego

Quote from: Take Your Points on October 06, 2010, 07:47:56 PM
Take the money and build it on the new for far less at the Maze.

Better still build a new school or two for the same money.

If the money was for Casement Park OR new schools and/or hospitals, I'd agree. However, this money is separate from the Northern Ireland Stormont budget. I cannot go anywhere else but Casement Park. If we don't use, we lose it. It WON'T be re-allocated into other Stormont Departments.
Testing Accessibility

andoireabu

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on October 06, 2010, 07:52:54 PM
where would you suggest?
Thats a tough one to be honest and i can't think of anywhere central to the province that needs doing up that much.  Perhaps Omagh if an all seater stadium is wanted for ulster final day and there is already a start there with the part that is seated already.  this could mean there is a bit left over that could be used in other ways.

However if a case can't be made for why it should be done at all rather than just because it is "long overdue" then i think the money should be used elsewhere.  is there anything really bad about how it is at the minute?  why does it have to be seated all the way round?

ardmhachaabu

As ziggy says, the money is going to Casement or the GAA aren't getting a penny.  What's the problem with all-seater ?

andoireabu

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on October 06, 2010, 08:18:54 PM
As ziggy says, the money is going to Casement or the GAA aren't getting a penny.  What's the problem with all-seater ?

Whats the need for it.  I love standing at a match and roaring a team on and if i ever end up in a seated area then im usually standing for most of the match anyway.

If it doesn't go to Casement where does it go?

ardmhachaabu

andoireabu

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on October 06, 2010, 08:25:32 PM
It's going nowhere and I prefer to sit and roar

Do you need 40000 places to chose from?  But sure it only a few million they are talking about...

ziggysego

Quote from: andoireabu on October 06, 2010, 08:33:33 PM
Quote from: ardmhachaabu on October 06, 2010, 08:25:32 PM
It's going nowhere and I prefer to sit and roar

Do you need 40000 places to chose from?  But sure it only a few million they are talking about...

I think the GAA's cut of it, is £50,000,000. IFA getting £20,000,000 and Ulster Rugby getting £30,000,000.
Testing Accessibility

Milltown Row2

Why are we discussing it? The money is being given and its going nowhere else. I'll be happy to watch our club teams in Casement. The place could be used for other things like concerts and rallys ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea