All Ireland Semi Final: The Dubs v Cavan, 1730 Saturday 5 December 2020

Started by Hound, November 24, 2020, 08:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

Some bad publicity for Cavan, will Kingspan be associated with another flaming mess next Saturday

I don't think they can cash out this time

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/nov/27/kingspan-directors-cashed-shares-grenfell-tower-fire-inquiry

Angelo

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 28, 2020, 07:50:04 AM
No matter what he said you don't want a player missing a game over verbals ffs

Rory Brennan had his season ended over touching a referee on the arm.

Rules are rules.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Lar Naparka

Quote from: JoG2 on November 28, 2020, 01:44:00 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on November 28, 2020, 01:20:47 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on November 28, 2020, 08:52:06 AM
Apparently it is.

—-

It's only a few months now until most counties realise again they've facing a referee shortage.

Is it any fucken wonder when the Association brushes verbal abuse under the carpet, and so many GAA folk support this measure?
From what I can see half the time refs are bringing it on themselves.

Yeah, screw them. Let's continue to verbally and physically abuse our refs as they deserve what's coming to them. Once we've run most of them away from the game, the away team can nominate one of their club men to ref to keep the games going. 
IMO, the problem all refs have to contend with is the sheer pace of the game. Players have become faster, fitter and more cynical in recent years.
If a man who is probably  older than any of the players on the field and definitely less fit by a country mile, is in charge, then errors will be made. That's a fact of life.
As well, the stakes were never higher: there's no Gaelic version of the Marquis of Queensbury rules.
It's biff, boot, bite and bollack to the greatest extent possible, once the ref's ability to keep control has been sussed. I think refs are fast becoming an endangered species.
While the man in the middle is shortening his life expectancy, there's a total of six other officials with a very much better chance of seeing what's going on- behind the referee's back.
I find it hard to believe that nothing can happen in the course of a game that won't be spotted by at at least one of the men in white coats. I know refs are making greater use of his helpers but if the ref chooses, he can ignore their input.
The Martin Sludden c**k up ten years ago should have been enough for change to be made. In the interim, games had been won and lost and refs have been abused left, right and centre - what's the betting that there won't be plenty of controversy when the semi finals are played?

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Itchy

Quote from: Lar Naparka on November 28, 2020, 04:04:54 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on November 28, 2020, 01:44:00 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on November 28, 2020, 01:20:47 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on November 28, 2020, 08:52:06 AM
Apparently it is.

—-

It's only a few months now until most counties realise again they've facing a referee shortage.

Is it any fucken wonder when the Association brushes verbal abuse under the carpet, and so many GAA folk support this measure?
From what I can see half the time refs are bringing it on themselves.

Yeah, screw them. Let's continue to verbally and physically abuse our refs as they deserve what's coming to them. Once we've run most of them away from the game, the away team can nominate one of their club men to ref to keep the games going. 
IMO, the problem all refs have to contend with is the sheer pace of the game. Players have become faster, fitter and more cynical in recent years.
If a man who is probably  older than any of the players on the field and definitely less fit by a country mile, is in charge, then errors will be made. That's a fact of life.
As well, the stakes were never higher: there's no Gaelic version of the Marquis of Queensbury rules.
It's biff, boot, bite and bollack to the greatest extent possible, once the ref's ability to keep control has been sussed. I think refs are fast becoming an endangered species.
While the man in the middle is shortening his life expectancy, there's a total of six other officials with a very much better chance of seeing what's going on- behind the referee's back.
I find it hard to believe that nothing can happen in the course of a game that won't be spotted by at at least one of the men in white coats. I know refs are making greater use of his helpers but if the ref chooses, he can ignore their input.
The Martin Sludden c**k up ten years ago should have been enough for change to be made. In the interim, games had been won and lost and refs have been abused left, right and centre - what's the betting that there won't be plenty of controversy when the semi finals are played?

Nice Post buy absolutely nothing to do with this thread

dublin7

The majority of posts on this thread have nothing to do with the game. Why single out this one

Itchy

Quote from: dublin7 on November 28, 2020, 05:12:37 PM
The majority of posts on this thread have nothing to do with the game. Why single out this one

Well we were discussing a ridiculous overturning of a suspension to a dublin player who will now play in the semi final, thats relevant.

Armagh18

Quote from: mrdeeds on November 28, 2020, 08:40:11 AM

So verbally abusing an official is ok?
Not the end of the world

Main Street

Quote from: dublin7 on November 27, 2020, 08:37:30 PM
Quote from: Angelo on November 27, 2020, 08:01:20 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on November 27, 2020, 07:38:36 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 27, 2020, 03:38:49 PM
Quote from: Angelo on November 27, 2020, 03:28:19 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 27, 2020, 03:04:11 PM
Well fair dues to whoever struck that deal.

Dublin GAA's full time marketing and commercial manager. How many counties have one of those on the payroll?

It's obviously paying for itself. So no brainier. Employ someone to find funding/sponsorship within your county..

Success brings opportunities for sponsorship

Wexford hired a full time commercial manager and he has brought in the sponsors and sold naming rights on their ground. Amazing what counties can do when they show some initiative

Yet Wexford aren't getting 1m every year from GAA HQ.

How is that relevant? That's a bizarre statement, even for you. County Boards are allowed show initiative without relying on GAA HQ for all their funding/income
Initiative??  the naming rights initiative at Wexford Pk. has been in place for 15 years.
This year there was a changeover in naming rights from Innovate to Chadwicks.
It's probably worth no more than Eur 20k p/a. That might pay for the meal after training.

dublin7

This thread is now 11 pages long. If you were to take out the posts not related to the game you'd delete more than half of them.

Does anyone know why the suspension was overturned? In the GAA being innocent or guilty is irrelevant when it comes to an appeal. It's all about finding some idiotic loophole in the rule book. Until the GAA do something about this suspensions will continue be overturned on a regular basis

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Itchy on November 28, 2020, 05:38:12 PM

Well we were discussing a ridiculous overturning of a suspension to a dublin player who will now play in the semi final, thats relevant.
With all due respect Itchy, your post above is off-topic also. You are not discussing the semi final but are harping on about something that happened in an earlier game.
You say that overturning the suspension was ridiculous. Well, that's your personal opinion but the powers that be seemed to think otherwise.
I don't know what led to the overturning of the suspension, and neither do you, but the only logical., conclusion that the ref amended his report.
It likey that if oonew or more of his six assistants had seen what happened and drew the ref's attention to the incident, there would have been no reason for us to be discussing what happened ( or didn't happen,) right now.
And while I'm at it, you do a fair bit of wandering off topic yourself.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Rossfan on November 28, 2020, 01:41:55 PM
Probably the reason hardly anyone discussing the game is because we know who's going to win and are fearful it could be by a large margin.

Surely that's not the way Cavan supporters are thinking at the moment? A week out from an All Ireland semi-final they will be expecting the very best from their team. It would be good to hear their views on the game and what they are expecting to see from the team.

Of course Dublin are hot favourites but since the early 1950s Dublin would always have been favourites in any All Ireland semi-final in which the two counties might have met.

Having said all that, as a Dublin supporter, I expect Dublin to win but a ball hasn't been kicked yet so nothing has been decided. (For what it's worth, in 2011 I expected Dublin to win the Minor football final). 
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Itchy

Quote from: Lar Naparka on November 28, 2020, 06:56:18 PM

With all due respect Itchy, your post above is off-topic also. You are not discussing the semi final but are harping on about something that happened in an earlier game.
You say that overturning the suspension was ridiculous. Well, that's your personal opinion but the powers that be seemed to think otherwise.
I don't know what led to the overturning of the suspension, and neither do you, but the only logical., conclusion that the ref amended his report.
It likey that if oonew or more of his six assistants had seen what happened and drew the ref's attention to the incident, there would have been no reason for us to be discussing what happened ( or didn't happen,) right now.

I'm harping on about a player who was suspended for this game and now isn't. Its relevant and you'd have to be totally thick not to see that.

As for the game, I gave my initial thoughts on it unlike you. 

Captain Obvious

Quote from: dublin7 on November 28, 2020, 06:47:53 PM

This thread is now 11 pages long.

If you keep taking to yourself this thread should get to 100 pages in no time.

Aaron Boone

Quote from: Angelo on November 28, 2020, 03:49:08 PM

Rory Brennan had his season ended over touching a referee on the arm.

Rules are rules.
A truly harsh ban for the offence incurred.  You'd go a long way in sporting life to see harsher justice.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Itchy on November 28, 2020, 07:34:42 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on November 28, 2020, 06:56:18 PM

I'm harping on about a player who was suspended for this game and now isn't. Its relevant and you'd have to be totally thick not to see that.

As for the game, I gave my initial thoughts on it unlike you.
I see, now Itchy is fast becoming Scratchy.  ;D
So during the course of a previous match, a player was suspended and now the suspension has been revoked. You may not like this reversal but you know no more about it than I do. There are controversial decisions made by referees every time they take on a game and if the umpires and linesmen had the authority to draw a ref's attention to what they see as an infringement of the rules then it's quite possible that sourpusses like you would have less reason to complain.
BTW, what have my thoughts on the game got to do with the merits or otherwise of Kilkenny's sending off?