All Ireland Semi Final: The Dubs v Cavan, 1730 Saturday 5 December 2020

Started by Hound, November 24, 2020, 08:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Apparently it is.

—-

It's only a few months now until most counties realise again they've facing a referee shortage.

Is it any fucken wonder when the Association brushes verbal abuse under the carpet, and so many GAA folk support this measure?

seafoid

Cavan and Tipp  have done no iterations.
  Mayo have done one. No contest in either semi or final.

https://monthlyreview.org/2011/03/01/structural-crisis-in-the-world-system/
"All systems—from the astronomical universe to the smallest physical phenomena, and including of course historical social systems—have lives.
The functioning of their normal lives has to be analysed in terms of cyclical rhythms and secular trends. The cyclical rhythms are sets of systemic fluctuations (upturns and downturns), in which the system regularly returns to equilibrium. "

Eg Kerry 79-81 and 84-86 followed by Meath then Cork)

"However, it is a moving equilibrium since, at the end of a downturn, the system never returns to exactly where it was at the beginning of the upturn. "

Eg Dubs pre 79. Meath 87

"This is because secular trends (slow, long-term increases in some systemic characteristic) push the curve slowly upward, as measured by some percentage of that characteristic in the system."

Different teams (except Mayo) would win. Derry won. Tyrone won
Laois and Westmeath won Leinster.

"Eventually, the secular trends move the system too near its asymptotes, and the system is unable to continue its normal, regular, slow upward push."

Kerry found it increasingly hard to win all Irelands

" Thereupon, it begins to fluctuate wildly and repeatedly, leading to a bifurcation—that is, to a chaotic situation in which a stable equilibrium cannot be maintained."

Equilibrium means all Irelands being spread around

"In such a chaotic situation, there are two quite divergent possibilities of recreating order out of chaos, or a new stable system. This period we may call the structural crisis of the system"

Gaelic football is in a structural crisis
Hurling is not.

BennyCake

Quote from: LCohen on November 28, 2020, 08:02:57 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on November 28, 2020, 07:50:04 AM
No matter what he said you don't want a player missing a game over verbals ffs

Give it a little thought. I am sure you could come up with a few things that might warrant missing a game. If you put a bit more thought you could come up with a few things that would warrant never playing again.

I don't know what he said.

I can only imagine that there is a clear recording that disproves the referee's account or someone has decided that actually the ref and the first people to look at it gave a punishment that was not in line with the offence that was recorded in the ref's report

If the rules state that a player gets red, and a subsequent ban, for verbals towards an official, then he deserves to miss a game.

Itchy

Quote from: thewobbler on November 28, 2020, 08:52:06 AM
Apparently it is.

—-

It's only a few months now until most counties realise again they've facing a referee shortage.

Is it any fucken wonder when the Association brushes verbal abuse under the carpet, and so many GAA folk support this measure?

I genuinely (and naively) thought Costello would not get off because 1) There could be no evidence to counter the referree account and 2) to overturn it would mean you take the players word over the officials, an incredibley dangerous precedent.  But yet here we are, overturned no explanation. In the vacuum that exists now I can only presume Dublin are above the law, Dublin must have all the aces, f**k everyone else. If Costello was playing for Cavan in the Ulster final absolutely no way he gets off.

Milltown Row2

The only reason I can suggest is this..

And before I start I'm not saying I want him playing, as a referee you don't give out cards willy nilly and (for me) it's got to be serious enough verbals to warrant a card, cheating bastard is a red, you're a useless Cnut generally a red.

After the game is over match report filled in. Trust me after a game like that, the ref will have been approached by the Dublin secretary and asked why he was sent off. He doesn't have to say anything and say it'll be in match report.

After he's written report, that's him done with it. It's down to the CCC who'll hand out ban, it's then appealed. The ref may be asked to review his report and make sure he's correct on it. I've never known a ref to change his view.

So without knowing what he said and what was put in the report it's difficult to judge. I can only assume they relented on context, as in he didn't really mean it and it was taken out of context!

Again we are all assuming something we dont know
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Itchy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 28, 2020, 10:55:03 AM

And before I start I'm not saying I want him playing, as a referee you don't give out cards willy nilly and (for me) it's got to be serious enough verbals to warrant a card, cheating bastard is a red, you're a useless Cnut generally a red.

After the game is over match report filled in. Trust me after a game like that, the ref will have been approached by the Dublin secretary and asked why he was sent off. He doesn't have to say anything and say it'll be in match report.

After he's written report, that's him done with it. It's down to the CCC who'll hand out ban, it's then appealed. The ref may be asked to review his report and make sure he's correct on it. I've never known a ref to change his view.

So without knowing what he said and what was put in the report it's difficult to judge. I can only assume they relented on context, as in he didn't really mean it and it was taken out of context!

i.e. we believe the player on "context" over the linesman/ref.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

The Hill is Blue

Is there any chance that the upcoming game might be discussed here - or is that asking too much?  ::)
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Itchy on November 28, 2020, 10:56:39 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 28, 2020, 10:55:03 AM

i.e. we believe the player on "context" over the linesman/ref.

It's something that's needs sorted... not just this one but way too many people get off with bans and it is in every County, club and all
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Bord na Mona man

These appeals mainly hinge on the referee's report. So for example, if the referee simply reported Costello for verbal abuse, but didn't specify the remarks he made, then it is relatively easy to successfully win an appeal.
For such appeals, Dublin would draw on the services of experienced barristers, so a fada out of place might be all they need to have the charge thrown out.

Armagh18

Apparently it is.

—-

From what I can see half the time refs are bringing it on themselves.

tonto1888

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on November 28, 2020, 12:16:35 PM
Is there any chance that the upcoming game might be discussed here - or is that asking too much?  ::)

While Dublin will win I am looking forward to seeing young Galligan have a go at you. I think he will give Fenton/Howard/McCarthy their fill of it

Itchy

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 28, 2020, 01:20:47 PM
Apparently it is.

—-

I dont want to generalise, but there is a total trampish element in armagh supporters and you clearly are part of it. You would probably be happier over in England roaring abuse at people from the terraces of a nice soccer club like Millwall.

Rossfan

Probably the reason hardly anyone discussing the game is because we know who's going to win and are fearful it could be by a large margin.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

JoG2

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 28, 2020, 01:20:47 PM
Apparently it is.

—-

Yeah, screw them. Let's continue to verbally and physically abuse our refs as they deserve what's coming to them. Once we've run most of them away from the game, the away team can nominate one of their club men to ref to keep the games going.  :-X