Laois footballers the Championship 2018 What went on and the review!

Started by Unlaoised, April 10, 2018, 10:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Who would have thought we'd have a strong bench like that come championship time...
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Jd

I reckon Donoher a bit unlucky not to start. Was involved in so much last time out. Maybe management feel he's only able for half an hour ?

redsetanta

Great option from the bench though. Full of energy and running, not what a back would want late in a game.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

on the hop

wary enough their forwards, especially loughlin in the corner, he caused us a lot of problems twice this year, very fast.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Helix

Great win! Well done lads. A day out in Croker against the Lillies probably.  :)
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

Joeythelips

Well done to players and management, hard to get full picture listening to live stream but after a slow start (again) Laois put in another dominant second half, 4-13 is some scoring in fairness. Was surprised when I heard is our first time to put back to back wins in Leinster in 12 years so after winning Div 4 title its nothing to be sniffed at. It means Laois are well prepared and will have no excuses going up to Croker where Kildare or Carlow will stand in their way of a Leinster Final appearance. I expect Kildare to edge out Carlow (just) which would make them favs against Laois in Croker. Its a perfect next step test for our lads as Kildare are a Div 2 team, who although lost all their league games they were playing the likes of Dublin, Monaghan, Kerry and Galway so no doubt about it its a step up for us after beating Wexford and Westmeath. Our two wins and in particular our second half displays will give our lads great confidence and they will not fear them.

CruiseCigar

Well done to lapis today. Great effort and some progress in the championship
Laoise abĂș

BallyroanAbu

Well done Laois, we are now in bonus territory.  It's up 2 or 3 levels now playing Kildare but two wins and a promotion we have had a good year.  I don't hold out much hope playing Kildare but we have improved out of sight since last year.  I would most certainly fear them,  Laois have had 5 or 6 years of messing about. It is completely unrealistic to expect us to beat Kildare who have been an upward curve over the last 3 years they may have been relegated but they are 2 or 3 years ahead of us.  They are a decent team.

Laoiseabu

Kildare beat us by 14/15 points last summer . So what would be considered a result against Kildare that would suggest progress? How close do we need to run them ?

BallyroanAbu

Lets see how they go against Carlow, but my guess is 5 or better.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Strange game today, we started well but couldn't put scores on the board. A good few chances fell to Donie and Ross but unusually they were either blocked down or kicked wide by our two most experienced forwards. Jonno was doing very little and Begley wasn't making his usual impact and we fell behind playing poorly with a strong wind in our backs.
The man to step up was Lillis and he was winning great ball and working very hard off the ball. Niall Donoher replaced Alan Farrell after 20 mins and made a huge difference with his pace and his passing.

After 30 mins John Connellan pulled down Gareth Dillon who had really come into the game and got a black card. After that incident Laois upped the pace and played at a much higher level for the rest of the game. It was a great display in the end and Paul Kingston took his goals very well with Evan tormenting them with his runs up the left wing.
If we can get into the game a little earlier we can give the next game in Croker a good rattle and who knows, we might even reach a Leinster final....

We have now won 9 games in a row and this is the biggest win over Westmeath since 1991.

on the hop

Great win tonight, wasn't expecting it but we punished them with goals which knocked the stuffing out of them. Really took a while to get going with the wind in the first time. The 8 to 1 run of points made a big difference. It was no coincidence that niall donaghers introduction improved the forward play. The second half after a slow start we managed to get on top. Both teams got 7 scores we managed 4-3 while they got 1-6. They ran out of steam completely by the end. Brody was ok, not much to do but we still conceded another terrible goal and he gifted them another score. Dillon after slow start was very good. Not Timmons best game, conceded a few scores to his direct opponent. Attride eventually got into it. Half back line was ok, Egan caused problems early on and I still think Crowley though very game is still a bit on the light side. Begley was motm. Drove the team forward. Midfield finally got on top especially Lillis,  jol had his problems with daly until he went off. In the forwards Paul Kingston finished great and was very dangerous when he went full forward.ross and Farrell were poor while carroll and o Connor were average. Donie mixed a bit of everything. I thought the subs came on did ok, strong and Evan were the best of them. Certainly the forwards are far more effective when they use their pace and go direct. Interesting to see who we face.