Geneology - DNA Ancestry Kit

Started by Orior, August 20, 2013, 09:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Dammit.

I searched for geneology, then ancestory. I should have searched for DNA, but I guess it is not in my DNA.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

muppet

Quote from: Orior on August 20, 2013, 10:59:25 PM
Dammit.

I searched for geneology, then ancestory. I should have searched for DNA, but I guess it is not in my DNA.

Well it could be in mine, but I wouldn't know. I have a lot of numbers, a few 'matches' going back an indeterminable amount of generations and a lot of answers to questions I haven't figured out yet, but that is it.

MWWSI 2017

Aerlik

I didn't but the brother did.  Amazing results.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Aerlik on August 21, 2013, 09:42:21 PM
I didn't but the brother did.  Amazing results.
You would hope to have similar results.

Shamrock Shore

QuoteI didn't but the brother did.  Amazing results.

Could you post it up with names blacked out?

I am a sceptic when it comes to this. They may take your few bob, see you are from Ireland, and then throw in Brian Boru, a few Murphys, Vikings and some auld Moorish blood from Galway etc.

Eamonnca1

National Geographic is very reputable. Couldn't see them getting up to anything shady.  Might give this a shot myself.

Orior

Quote from: muppet on August 21, 2013, 02:09:07 PM
Dammit.

Well it could be in mine, but I wouldn't know. I have a lot of numbers, a few 'matches' going back an indeterminable amount of generations and a lot of answers to questions I haven't figured out yet, but that is it.

Did the test involve you scraping off a piece of tissue, popping it in an envelope and posting it away for analysis?

Cold tea

ONeill

Used to be into all that before I realised what the feck is the point.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on August 22, 2013, 02:24:06 PM
Used to be into all that before I realised what the feck is the point.
Your line should be well enough documented.

muppet

Quote from: Orior on August 22, 2013, 11:39:00 AM
Quote from: muppet on August 21, 2013, 02:09:07 PM
Dammit.

Did the test involve you scraping off a piece of tissue, popping it in an envelope and posting it away for analysis?

Yip, that's the one.

MWWSI 2017

muppet

I did the Family Finder test with FTDNA.

I didn't have to resubmit anything as they just retested the sample I sent in last year.

They produced a list of up to 500 people and categorised them in ranges such as 2nd - 4th cousin, 5th - distant cousin etc.

Interestingly there are 2 people on the list who I have come across before and who were researching the same part of Mayo due to ancestors of theirs. We have not been able to say for sure that we were connected, but given that they sent their sample from their home cities in the States, and we sent in no family info, it is pretty impressive that we show up as distant cousins to each other.

I will keep working on it (I know I keep saying this: http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=22769.15) and if I learn anything useful (I'll prove O'Neill wrong yet!) I will pass it on.

In conclusion I would recommend the Family Finder test with FTDNA over any other, unless you are a Professor of Genetics.
MWWSI 2017

Orior

I've recently been invited to take the test, free of charge.

At this point, I understand my ancestral father comes from either Kerry or Westmeath. I should know more in a couple of months time.