The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Jurgen walks - Stallion vindicated

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cornerback

https://twitter.com/btsportfootball/status/1126005559482671106

Great move by TAA for the 4th goal but does anyone else think that he initially tried the wee tap corner (10secs into this clip) for shaqiri to come along and take/dribble the ball out of the quadrant?

Taylor

While Klopp has bought very well in the transfer market the best bit of business he has done is getting £105m - £140m for Coutinho  :o

trueblue1234

It's unbelievable given the team that they had out. When I was looking at the team I was just thinking where will the goals come from. I don't really rate Shaq. Origi is OK and and a decent squad option but never did I think he would be so involved. I couldn't see us being clinical enough without Salah and Firmino. But for me last night showed exactly why the most important person in Liverpool is Klopp. He does something that a lot of top managers struggle with. He improves players. I don't know if it's solely through given them enhanced confidence that they can be the best or through tactically training but in most parts each player has improved under him. For me that's the sign of a great manager. And I know if they end up losing the league and lose the final, we'll have the same posters on here questioning whether he is as good as we make out. But potentially 97 points in the league and in the CL Final 2 years running is huge.
The most important thing is keeping him for the next few years. You could take losing Salah or Mane as I'd be confident in Klopp bringing in someone else to fill the gap. But there's no-one that would replace Klopp for me (That would be willing to move). The stars aligned that time when Liverpool managed to secure him as I'm sure at that stage we weren't the most attractive option. And I just hope he gets the silverware this year to justify the extraordinary performance.
It's prob too early to look at where you could strengthen the team for next year. But it's definitely shown a lack of depth in strikers. I'b prob hold on to Origi for another year but cut Sturridge & Shaq loose and try and bring in a younger prospect who will be happy playing 2nd fiddle to the front 3. Midfield is hard to know. You have Gini, Hendersdon, Fabhino (who has had a great year), Ox , Lallana, Kieta, Milner. So a good pool. I can't see Lallana staying but don't think we need too much coming in. Milner will be a bit part player next year you could imagine. But good cover.
Defense might need a bit. Would like to see Lovern and Moreno leave and a decent squad centre half coming in. I'd hold on to Matip. Gomez hopefully along with VVD will be the 1st choice. Would be good to see cover for TAA and Robertson coming in as well.
But the squad isn't in bad shape. Not City standard, but no overhaul needed.

Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

magpie seanie

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 08, 2019, 10:07:38 AM
Liverpool everything which United aren't at the moment and it really really hurts, the work ethic is outstanding with everyone playing for each other. 

Once the 2nd goal went in you could see so many of them didn't have the stomach for the battle. There's so much to admire about the job Klopp has done and in fairness he's been backed by the board to and bought brilliantly. I hope Spurs win tonight as I just don't think Ajax could live with Liverpool.

+1

cornerback

Quote from: trueblue1234 on May 08, 2019, 10:35:06 AM
It's prob too early to look at where you could strengthen the team for next year. But it's definitely shown a lack of depth in strikers. I'b prob hold on to Origi for another year but cut Sturridge & Shaq loose and try and bring in a younger prospect who will be happy playing 2nd fiddle to the front 3. Midfield is hard to know. You have Gini, Hendersdon, Fabhino (who has had a great year), Ox , Lallana, Kieta, Milner. So a good pool. I can't see Lallana staying but don't think we need too much coming in. Milner will be a bit part player next year you could imagine. But good cover.
Defense might need a bit. Would like to see Lovern and Moreno leave and a decent squad centre half coming in. I'd hold on to Matip. Gomez hopefully along with VVD will be the 1st choice. Would be good to see cover for TAA and Robertson coming in as well.
But the squad isn't in bad shape. Not City standard, but no overhaul needed.

Is Milner out of contract at the end of the season - could he return to Leeds if they get promoted?

Estimator

Origi has come a long way since this headline.

Liverpool striker Divock Origi named in Ligue 1 worst team of the season

Liverpool's Divock Origi, the Belgium striker on loan at Lille, has had the dubious honour of being named in L'Equipe's Ligue 1 worst team of the season.

Liverpool paid £10m for Origi last summer after a breakthrough season in Ligue 1 and a series of impressive performances at the World Cup but allowed him to stay at Lille in order to further his development.

Origi has scored only eight goals in 33 Ligue 1 appearances, which included a 20-game goal drought between October and March.
Ulster League Champions 2009

imtommygunn

Milner massive asset to Liverpool. Be mad to get rid of him. Imagine they'd only Moreno for left back cover last night. The game would have ended up about 3-3.

Origi does remind me of mellor against arsenal and Olympiakos that year where he scored two key goals in a week and was lauded. I still don't think, longer term like mellor, origi will cut it but fair play to him for the last week. ( and curses to him fo that late goal against Everton).

AZOffaly

Florent Sinema Pongelle scored against Olympiakos that night too I think :)

GJL

Lads Liverpool were fantastic last night no doubt but how bad were Barca? They could hardly string 3 passes together in the second half! Probably in shock!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: GJL on May 08, 2019, 01:45:01 PM
Lads Liverpool were fantastic last night no doubt but how bad were Barca? They could hardly string 3 passes together in the second half! Probably in shock!
They have shown now over the last couple of years that they're very good when on the front foot but they are there for the taking if you go after them and crucially can get that early goal. Valverde looked really nervous when it went to 2-0 and whatever we say about Messi being the best ever, he's definitely not a natural leader and I think they suffered from not having someone to try to get some control last night. However, Liverpool didn't let them settle and when applied the high press had them really rattled from the first whistle. I'd usually be crapping myself for the last 5 minutes and usually don't watch the end of the matches, but last night I watched in the knowledge, that even with Liverpool playing deeper than I would have liked, I knew Barca didn't look like scoring.

Armamike

They were poor yes, but they weren't given the time or space to do their stuff.  If Liverpool had sat off them maybe we would be talking differently about them.  They weren't allowed to play and couldn't come up with a solution.  Pundits have been talking about their midfield not having the athleticism to cope with Liverpool's energy.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Taylor

Quote from: Armamike on May 08, 2019, 02:07:19 PM

They were poor yes, but they weren't given the time or space to do their stuff.  If Liverpool had sat off them maybe we would be talking differently about them.  They weren't allowed to play and couldn't come up with a solution.  Pundits have been talking about their midfield not having the athleticism to cope with Liverpool's energy.

Liverpool played a high line at the back allowing them to press every restart.
With little pace/balls over the top to stretch the Liverpool defence it meant Barca were constantly under pressure when in possession.

Fantatsic tactics by Klopp but it only works when your team is prepared to work their nuts off and Liverpool did this in spades

Gabriel_Hurl

The ball boys were under order last night to get the ball in quick after it was noticed last week how Barca tended to switch off after a decision went against them

BennyCake

Quote from: gawa316 on May 08, 2019, 07:37:28 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 08, 2019, 07:12:04 AM
Fair f**ks to ye, ye deserve something at the season's end imo. Klopp effect or whatever. Well done.

Fair play to you and a few other utd fellas to come on here, not sure I'd be able to do that if the roles were reversed.

On the Klopp effect...that's what won that game last night...the togetherness, desire, motivation etc etc he has brought to the club, players, and fans is undeniable. Many ridiculed him and Liverpool at the time (some still do) but imo this all started with the players going out to the fans after the WBA draw and has only multiplied since. Klopp knew he needed to make the most of every potential advantage he could to challenge city and other richer clubs, and he identified the crowd/fans as something that could make a difference.

What's the big deal? It's only football like, and none of us are Manx's or Scousers.

seafoid

Klopp deserves to win the CL. He missed it with Dortmund v Bayern and with Liverpool last year
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU