China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 17, 2020, 08:22:16 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on April 17, 2020, 08:08:22 AM
Liverpool to Dublin ferry looks to not be running and some controversy round it. That is not good for any of us I suspect. Apparently p and o I think it is owe 600k to the Liverpool port and haven't paid it so can't sail out.

I am not sure if Eamonn your first paragraph is related to your second above...

See ferries coming into Belfast daily. Would it not be mainly goods vehicles?

I assume so. Lots of commotion on social media about it. One side was told painting the liverpool port in a very bad light and then their side came out and it didn't look so good for the other one so who knows what is going on.

Itchy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 17, 2020, 12:02:51 AM
Quote from: Itchy on April 16, 2020, 11:44:33 PM
Quote from: Smokin Joe on April 16, 2020, 10:09:19 PM
Quote from: Emmett on April 16, 2020, 05:37:33 PM
I haven't been on here in a while but would like some advice if someone could be so kind.

A friend of mine works in Belfast but has been working from home at her parents in Fermanagh.

Today she received word that as of next week she has to return to the office and start working from there again. They are staggering workers back to the office.

She has very bad asthma and suffers with anxiety.

Can they enforce this given the UK governments stance of if you can work from home you must?

She does not feel comfortable with this plan whatsoever!

If she can do her work from home then she should continue to work from him.
But if, for example, she worked in manufacturing then her employer could make her go into work.
According to government guidance manufacturing should still be continuing in the UK, where social distance should be maintained as much as possible, but if it can't be then other precautions should be put in place.  These instructions are here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/social-distancing-in-the-workplace-during-coronavirus-covid-19-sector-guidance#manufacturing-and-processing-businesses

It is down to the company to determine if she can work from home and do her job to same level.

So if you can prove the job is done correctly at home then you should be allowed.

Automatically you are then putting more people on the roads, interacting with shops, petrol stations buses or trains, more risk of poor social distancing measures.

Why not stick it out? Seems to be going against what the 'experts' are saying

First of all, if her company is still open then it "should" be a critical company of some sort - that is my assumption.

Secondly, I work in such a company where we let loads of people go home to work from home at the start of this crisis. Some proved to be equally effective and some proved to be at home having a doss leaving the rest of the work force to carry the can for them.

So the company makes the judgement call on whether someone can do their job from home based on the results they see from that person being at home (and I am excluding people who are in the high risk bracket who should simply not be at work). In our case we told some people to come back in. In some cases we had to force people to work from home that decided themselves to keep coming in.

This decision is not the decision of the individual worker and, by the way, it is in the companies interest to get this right. No sensible company wants those people that can genuinely work from home, coming in and causing crowding that in turn could cause a spread of Covid 19 which in turn will mean lots of people out of work for 14 days minimum.

marty34

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 17, 2020, 08:39:05 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 17, 2020, 08:22:16 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on April 17, 2020, 08:08:22 AM
Liverpool to Dublin ferry looks to not be running and some controversy round it. That is not good for any of us I suspect. Apparently p and o I think it is owe 600k to the Liverpool port and haven't paid it so can't sail out.

I am not sure if Eamonn your first paragraph is related to your second above...

See ferries coming into Belfast daily. Would it not be mainly goods vehicles?

I assume so. Lots of commotion on social media about it. One side was told painting the liverpool port in a very bad light and then their side came out and it didn't look so good for the other one so who knows what is going on.

Hopefully they get it sorted asap to get vital supplies in.  Not sure what the story is or what side is right but I suppose that's one way of getting £600k - just say boat with vital supplies is not going anywhere until it's paid.

As I say, needs sorted asap.

imtommygunn

They have said they have the money so if they have it they should just pay it and that would be that.

Franko

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 17, 2020, 01:17:21 AM
Quote from: HiMucker on April 16, 2020, 10:18:36 PM
Mental stuff
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-52316150

I met a Bolsonaro supporter at a party a few years back. She was as mad as a box of frogs. You thought Trump supporters were as thick as champ? I asked her what good she thought Bolsonaro was going to do.

Her: You don't know what it's like in the favelas! People are getting shot! People are getting murdered!
Me: Okay, but what's Bolsonaro going to go about it?
Her: He's going to fix it!
Me: How's he going to do that? By shooting more people?
Her: You don't know what it's like!
Me: How's he going to fix it?
Her: Brazil needs a strong leader like Bolsonaro! He's going to fix things! You don't know what it's like! You have no idea!
Me: So was Pinochet good for Chile?
Her: Huh?
Me: Was Pinochet good for Chile?
Her: No
Me: Was Galtieri good for Argentina?
Her: No
Me: When has a dictator ever been good for South America?
Her: This is different!
Me: How?
Her: This time it's going to be different! Bolsonaro is going to fix everything! We need a strong leader! You don't know what it's like in the favelas! People are getting shot every day! Children getting shot! You have no idea what it's like! Bolsonaro is going to deal with it! We need him!
Me: Yes, quite. I need to go for another drink...

;D Enjoyed that!

Sounds like a conversation with your run of the mill Brexiteer.

screenexile

Keelings chartering a flight from Bulgaria for fruit pickers. . . is there any truth to that??

Rudi

Quote from: screenexile on April 17, 2020, 09:21:19 AM
Keelings chartering a flight from Bulgaria for fruit pickers. . . is there any truth to that??

That looks true, shocking stuff. No more Keelings for me.

Jeepers Creepers

Fruit Farms in England doing same.

GetOverTheBar

What was the craic on London bridge last night - any of you see the video with everyone standing around clapping with no social distancing and even worse, the police standing there joining in / not enforcing social distancing?

Is it social distancing except for the clap on a Thursday night or what? Mad stuff altogether.

trailer

What's the issue with Keelings guys? That they want to get their crops picked?

Smokin Joe

Quote from: Itchy on April 17, 2020, 08:49:12 AM
I haven't been on here in a while but would like some advice if someone could be so kind.

A friend of mine works in Belfast but has been working from home at her parents in Fermanagh.

Today she received word that as of next week she has to return to the office and start working from there again. They are staggering workers back to the office.

Can they enforce this given the UK governments stance of if you can work from home you must?

But if, for example, she worked in manufacturing then her employer could make her go into work.
According to government guidance manufacturing should still be continuing in the UK, where social distance should be maintained as much as possible, but if it can't be then other precautions should be put in place.  These instructions are here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/social-distancing-in-the-workplace-during-coronavirus-covid-19-sector-guidance#manufacturing-and-processing-businesses

It is down to the company to determine if she can work from home and do her job to same level.

So if you can prove the job is done correctly at home then you should be allowed.

Automatically you are then putting more people on the roads, interacting with shops, petrol stations buses or trains, more risk of poor social distancing measures.

First of all, if her company is still open then it "should" be a critical company of some sort - that is my assumption.

I'm sorry Itchy, but this is just not correct.  Read the Manufacturing section of this for example: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/social-distancing-in-the-workplace-during-coronavirus-covid-19-sector-guidance

Itchy

Quote from: Smokin Joe on April 17, 2020, 09:55:48 AM

I'm sorry Itchy, but this is just not correct.  Read the Manufacturing section of this for example: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/social-distancing-in-the-workplace-during-coronavirus-covid-19-sector-guidance

I'm not in the UK

ciaraa

Quote from: Itchy on April 17, 2020, 10:40:33 AM
Quote from: Smokin Joe on April 17, 2020, 09:55:48 AM

I'm not in the UK

You're not the brightest either

Milltown Row2

The lad said Belfast and Fermanagh. Would imagine though any company would prefer you staying safe and if they feel you are not working enough then go through the disciplinary procedures
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Rudi on April 17, 2020, 09:24:29 AM

That looks true, shocking stuff. No more Keelings for me.

Whys it shocking?

The locals have neither the appetite or attitude for it.
i usse an speelchekor