China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

I'd laugh at him too until I realise he's in charge of the "red button".
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Rudi

In Ireland we're locking down the healthy population and opening up the nursing homes. I'll say it again whats happened over the last 5 weeks in a considerable number of nursing homes is shamefull. HSE cocked up big time. In real terms a 30 year old unemployed man cant go out to purchase a tin of paint to paint his own house, yet a medical contractor can work with patients in a coronavirus ward & later do a shift in a nursing home.

Milltown Row2

The absolute cheek of the minister on the news now, wearing a NHS badge, the same Cnut voted against the nurses getting a wage increase!

No shame
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Rudi on April 16, 2020, 12:45:29 PM
In Ireland we're locking down the healthy population and opening up the nursing homes. I'll say it again whats happened over the last 5 weeks in a considerable number of nursing homes is shamefull. HSE cocked up big time. In real terms a 30 year old unemployed man cant go out to purchase a tin of paint to paint his own house, yet a medical contractor can work with patients in a coronavirus ward & later do a shift in a nursing home.

That does on the face of it seem nuts TBF but it's not related to an unemployed man going into a DIY shop with lord knows how many other people doing the same or similar things

Rudi

Quote from: johnnycool on April 16, 2020, 01:40:22 PM

That does on the face of it seem nuts TBF but it's not related to an unemployed man going into a DIY shop with lord knows how many other people doing the same or similar things

Study down by some German scientists on a large portion of the Covid affected population in Heisenberg, he found zero transmissions in supermarkets. Virus doesn't survive long on surfaces, this study seems to conflict with other theories.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 16, 2020, 01:36:45 PM
The absolute cheek of the minister on the news now, wearing a NHS badge, the same Cnut voted against the nurses getting a wage increase!

No shame

I think it was you who once quoted me when I said Irish politics was vile, with all politics is vile.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Rudi on April 16, 2020, 02:08:12 PM
Study down by some German scientists on a large portion of the Covid affected population in Heisenberg, he found zero transmissions in supermarkets. Virus doesn't survive long on surfaces, this study seems to conflict with other theories.

That'd be brilliant news if true - but it would mean that new case numbers should have fallen off a cliff after lockdown and only stupid people caught it.
i usse an speelchekor

Milltown Row2

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on April 16, 2020, 02:18:17 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 16, 2020, 01:36:45 PM

No shame

I think it was you who once quoted me when I said Irish politics was vile, with all politics is vile.

Look the thing about voters, they will still vote people in and allow them to be in charge of the country regardless of how they acted in the past, it doesn't matter which country it is. Very sad that the particular parties are so entrenched on their party course that they can't change their view points when it makes sense!

Politics is a rotten job
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Jeepers Creepers

According to Flu Expert Dr Jeremy Brown and he said it that chances of catching covid-19 from hard surfaces (out and about) would be minimal as it take on a different form?

J70

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on April 16, 2020, 02:24:06 PM

That'd be brilliant news if true - but it would mean that new case numbers should have fallen off a cliff after lockdown and only stupid people caught it.

Looks to be a guy called Hendrik Streeck. His assertions that surface transmission is inconsequential has been about for a couple of weeks now. Hopefully, for all our sakes, there'll be more info coming out to support it. Social distancing and face masks would still have to be maintained, but it would ease a lot of stress if you didn't have to worry that (outside of someone having just sneezed on it) the delivery box or the grocery item is contaminated.

imtommygunn

If it's not coming from surfaces(and to be honest I'm not expert but was never sure it was) then how are all the people who have it catching it is what I really wonder.

armaghniac

The virus survives on surfaces, but perhaps not to the extent required to infect you. I don't think boxes etc were ever a huge issue, but the handle of a basket might be. In Singapore, they indicated that someone had picked up Covid in a chiurch by using the same seat as someone who had been there earlier.

We don't know who caught it after lockdown, a fair few are family members or people who are in the same nursing home etc. Presumably there is more and more data from different countries and this will inform the relaxation of restrictions. Half the restrictions are useless, the trick is knowing which half.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Taylor

Not verified but there is a screenshot of a letter doing the rounds that pubs will not be allowed to open until 1st Sept at the earliest

Gmac

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on April 16, 2020, 11:13:00 AM
Things ramping up this morning on the virus was created in a lab theory.
came from a Wuhan lab that were doing tests on horse shoe bats , got out accidentally is what is being reported .

seafoid

Quote from: Saffrongael on April 15, 2020, 12:23:45 PM
Quote from: seafoid on April 15, 2020, 12:22:12 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on April 15, 2020, 11:27:05 AM
A decent wage for the NHS staff wouldn't have helped this though..well, perhaps more people may have taken to the profession in the meantime boosting staffing numbers I suppose but it's just a complete lack of investment all round and it's now been shown in the most clinical way.

When the coronavirus blitz passes and life begins to return to somewhat normal, (hopefully). The NHS will be booted from pillar to post again. It seems like it's the handest thing to strip to bare bones.....luckily they have been working and spending on a replacement for the Trident Nuclear Warhead in the meantime to teach this pesky virus a lesson soon.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2018/01/conservatives-underfunding-nhs-made-crisis-inevitable

Before last November's Budget, health leaders warned that this fiscal famine could not endure. Simon Stevens, the NHS chief executive, requested a minimum increase of £4bn in 2018 (far below the £18.2bn - or £350m a week - promised by the Leave campaign). "2018, which happens to be the 70th anniversary of the NHS, is poised to be the toughest financial year," Stevens warned. After nearly a decade of austerity, he noted, Britain was underfunding the health service by £20-30bn compared to comparable countries such as Germany, France and Sweden.

Comparing apples and oranges, in Germany's case anyway. Funded totally differently
More on the NHS

https://www.ft.com/content/275a3a98-7f1d-11ea-82f6-150830b3b99a

"When Mr Johnson applauds what ministers pointedly claim as "our NHS", he omits to mention that since 2010 the governments of David Cameron and Theresa May subjected it to a ferocious financial squeeze which, according to the Independent think-tank The King's Fund, represented the harshest clampdown since 1945. Hospitals have fallen into disrepair and patients have faced long delays and waiting lists for essential treatment.

The NHS stands as the poor relation among European neighbours. According to the independent Nuffield Trust, it provides fewer than three doctors per 1,000 of population. That compares with four in Italy, 4.2 in Germany and 4.8 in Norway. There are similar shortfalls in the numbers of nurses and other clinical staff and of hospital beds. By the count of the OECD, Britain has 2.5 hospital beds per 1,000 of population against six in France and eight in Germany.

Defying the rising demand for healthcare from an ageing population and the high cost of sophisticated medical equipment and modern pharmaceuticals, spending on the NHS has fallen as a share of national income since 2010. Between 2000 and 2010 the share rose from 5 per cent to 7.75 per cent. By 2018 it had fallen back to 7.35 per cent. 

An even tighter squeeze on the budgets of local authorities for the care of the elderly has left large numbers of those who would otherwise be in residential homes stranded in NHS beds. The hard work and deep reservoir of determination of health service workers witnessed during the present crisis have long served as a sticking plaster on an open wound."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU