USFC: Armagh v Tyrone @ MAG. 10/6/12

Started by our_fella, May 15, 2012, 01:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC Unique

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 16, 2012, 01:25:54 PM
I've no memory of winning in Armagh either but have a vague memory of them beating us in Omagh with the 2 Grimleys playing

Hastag are ye fishing there or why do you write a paragraph about how our FF line was starved of ball and then write SoN is past it.

Tell us why you think he's past it?
Remember the game has changed so most star forwards of yesteryear are now double marked or have sweepers all around them.

Would that have been the sad day that Paul mc girr died?

Fuzzman

I wasn't thinking of that game as I think we beat them that day back in 1997

Quarter Final   Tyrone   1-12 - 0-12   Armagh   

Hard to believe that Cavan beat Derry in the Ulster final that year.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-Ireland_Senior_Football_Championship_1997

No it was back in the 80's I think that I was thinking of
I was a young teenager and was sitting on the grass behind the goals at the town end thinking those Grimleys are huge giants of men.

Applesisapples

Quote from: EC Unique on May 16, 2012, 02:03:54 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on May 16, 2012, 01:25:54 PM
I've no memory of winning in Armagh either but have a vague memory of them beating us in Omagh with the 2 Grimleys playing

Hastag are ye fishing there or why do you write a paragraph about how our FF line was starved of ball and then write SoN is past it.

Tell us why you think he's past it?
Remember the game has changed so most star forwards of yesteryear are now double marked or have sweepers all around them.

Would that have been the sad day that Paul mc girr died?
No I'm nearly certain that was the day Tyrone scored a dubious goal in the last minutes to snatch a victory. Could be wrong as the memory ain't what it was.

Fuzzman

Ye could be right Apples. It might have been a first round game in 88 or 89
Back in the 80s a lot more counties made it to the final back then
Only Antrim missing out

Year         Ulster Finalists
1989   Tyrone 0–11, 2–13   Donegal 0–11, 0–07
1988   Monaghan 1–10   Tyrone 0–11
1987   Derry 0–11   Armagh 0-09
1986   Tyrone 1–11   Down 0–10
1985   Monaghan 2-09   Derry 0-08
1984   Tyrone 0–15   Armagh 1-07
1983   Donegal 1–14   Cavan 1–11
1982   Armagh 0–10   Fermanagh 1-04
1981   Down 3–12   Armagh 1–10
1980   Armagh 4–10   Tyrone 4-07

I've some memory of Houly getting a cracker goal in some 1st round game in Omagh as well.

BennyCake

Armagh beat Tyrone 5-9 to 1-9 in 1987, in Irvinestown.
Tyrone beat Armagh in 1988 at same venue.
In 1989, Armagh were 8 ahead, before Tyrone came back to win by a point. That was the day Mark Grimley caught everything, and also caught John Lynch's face with a haymaker in the tunnel.
Armagh won by a point in Armagh, 1990.
1993, Draw at Athletic Grounds. Armagh won replay in Omagh thanks to Houli's late goal.
Tyrone won by 2 goals in 1994 in Omagh.
Tyrone won again by 2 in 97, Matt NcGleenan getting a dubious late goal.

That's all I can remember from those years. Armagh haven't played Tyrone alot in the Athletic Grounds in recent years. That's probably why Tyrone haven't been them there in a while.

Fuzzman

Excellent work BC
What was wrong with McGlennon's goal. I can't remember it.
He used to score some class punched goals back in those days

Applesisapples

Ther game I was thinking about was '97 the year McGirr died and Mattie McGleenan fouled Benny in the Armagh goal, the Ref was at the Tyrone 20 m line and didn't see anything wrong. I thought it was closer than 2 goals though.

BennyCake

In 97, I meant Tyrone won by 2 points, not 2 goals.

I think it was 1-9 to 0-10 or something similar. I think McGleenan shoved a defender out of the way before fisting the ball into the net. Can't remember it vividly though, but it was a big talking point that day.

I remember McGleenan got a fisted goal in the drawn game in 93 in AG. He got another fisted goal in the same game but it was wrongly disallowed.

Orchardman

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 16, 2012, 04:02:00 PM
Ye could be right Apples. It might have been a first round game in 88 or 89
Back in the 80s a lot more counties made it to the final back then
Only Antrim missing out

Year         Ulster Finalists
1989   Tyrone 0–11, 2–13   Donegal 0–11, 0–07
1988   Monaghan 1–10   Tyrone 0–11
1987   Derry 0–11   Armagh 0-09
1986   Tyrone 1–11   Down 0–10
1985   Monaghan 2-09   Derry 0-08
1984   Tyrone 0–15   Armagh 1-07
1983   Donegal 1–14   Cavan 1–11
1982   Armagh 0–10   Fermanagh 1-04
1981   Down 3–12   Armagh 1–10
1980   Armagh 4–10   Tyrone 4-07

I've some memory of Houly getting a cracker goal in some 1st round game in Omagh as well.

from 2001-2011 i think all 9 counties have played in an ulster final, not bad going. Derry was the longest wait until last year

regal

From the 1997 game I remember Jarlath Burns and McGeeney lording midfield from start to finish but Armagh kicked something like 18 wides (including about 8 from McConville who was making his debut). Tyrone were crap but armagh just couldn't them away.

Quote from: BennyCake on May 16, 2012, 04:09:34 PM
Armagh beat Tyrone 5-9 to 1-9 in 1987, in Irvinestown.
Tyrone beat Armagh in 1988 at same venue.
In 1989, Armagh were 8 ahead, before Tyrone came back to win by a point. That was the day Mark Grimley caught everything, and also caught John Lynch's face with a haymaker in the tunnel.Armagh won by a point in Armagh, 1990.
1993, Draw at Athletic Grounds. Armagh won replay in Omagh thanks to Houli's late goal.
Tyrone won by 2 goals in 1994 in Omagh.
Tyrone won again by 2 in 97, Matt NcGleenan getting a dubious late goal.

That's all I can remember from those years. Armagh haven't played Tyrone alot in the Athletic Grounds in recent years. That's probably why Tyrone haven't been them there in a while.

I think that may have have been big brother Paul who accidentally brushed shoulders with John Lynch. Armagh were 2-4 v 0-4 up at half time after the finest exception of fielding I have ever seen from Mark Grimley. Armagh team from 89 that I can remember:
Mcalinden
Gareth o'neill - thomas cassidy - hanratty
McQuillan - JGrimley - Toner
MGrimley - Smyth
DCanavan - BCanavan - Shortt
Skeleton - arthur mcevoy - JMcConville

There were a few decent minors playing in the '89 armagh v tyrone - mcgeeney / peter canavan / fay devlin / the lawns / c orourke!

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: BennyCake on May 16, 2012, 04:33:20 PM
In 97, I meant Tyrone won by 2 points, not 2 goals.

I think it was 1-9 to 0-10 or something similar. I think McGleenan shoved a defender out of the way before fisting the ball into the net. Can't remember it vividly though, but it was a big talking point that day.

Tyrone won 1-12 to 0-12 that day. Tyrone of 97 were a tired team on the way down after the disappointments (in the end) of the previous two summers. They were lucky enough to get past a pretty average Down team in the preliminary round and lucky to then beat Armagh. They ended up being hammered 2-15 to 2-3 by a highly motivated Derry team in the semi-final. Derry had a lot to prove that day after the defeats of the previous two summers. Still didn't prevent them going on to blow it again in the final.

stew

Quote from: ONeill on May 16, 2012, 11:05:27 AM
Can anyone remember Tyrone winning in Armagh?

All too often, I mind McGuigan lighting us up like a Christmas tree back in the day, he was some player.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

BennyCake

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on May 16, 2012, 11:25:10 PM
Tyrone won 1-12 to 0-12 that day. Tyrone of 97 were a tired team on the way down after the disappointments (in the end) of the previous two summers. They were lucky enough to get past a pretty average Down team in the preliminary round and lucky to then beat Armagh. They ended up being hammered 2-15 to 2-3 by a highly motivated Derry team in the semi-final. Derry had a lot to prove that day after the defeats of the previous two summers. Still didn't prevent them going on to blow it again in the final.

I'm nearly sure there was only 2 points between Armagh and Tyrone in 1997.

A reason Derry blew it against Cavan was apparently because Brian Mullins told the Derry players not to kick the ball to Joe Brolly, as Cavan would be expecting that. Brolly on his day, could've taken any defender to the cleaners. I remember Brolly and Mullins arguing going in at half time about this. That's like Kerry not playing the ball to Cooper or Dublin and Bernard Brogan. Madness!

Fuzzman

And like Derry kicking everything to Paddy Bradley and him being surrounded
I think ye need to mix and match it.

Just reading through the Tyrone allstars there on wiki. Hard to believe Brian McGuigan only got 1 allstar the same as Davey Harte.

I see Brian is defending his actions in 2003 that Brolly accused him of diving.

Wonder can you get any of those full matches of Tyrone v Armagh with McGuigan Snr in full flow.

sheamy

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 17, 2012, 10:35:14 AM
And like Derry kicking everything to Paddy Bradley and him being surrounded
I think ye need to mix and match it.

Just reading through the Tyrone allstars there on wiki. Hard to believe Brian McGuigan only got 1 allstar the same as Davey Harte.

I see Brian is defending his actions in 2003 that Brolly accused him of diving.

Wonder can you get any of those full matches of Tyrone v Armagh with McGuigan Snr in full flow.

Just saw that. I don't think he said he was denying that he took a dive. He said he did what he did (i.e. took a dive) to get the free overturned or the ball thrown up, not to deliberately get McCartan sent off. He is refuting the reason he did it, not denying it.

His excuse is that referees send players off, not other players. Pathetic really.