Time to Split Dublin

Started by Dont Matter, September 22, 2013, 05:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is it right that Dublin got 7 million to implement a plan to dominate the GAA World?

Yes
42 (29%)
No
103 (71%)

Total Members Voted: 145

BartSimpson

Anti Dubs will always be just that.

If you don't like the smell of pig shit, and your sisters crack, then become a Dub, and enjoy the free life.

Get over it.
guwan the parish

Dont Matter

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 24, 2013, 11:22:43 PM
Quote from: Dont Matter on September 24, 2013, 11:13:04 PM
Teams aren't competing on an equal footing, that's why they should be split. Not because they're too good.

They're not competing on an equal footing, but they're not too good for everyone else?

What are you smoking?
Quote from: BartSimpson on September 25, 2013, 12:12:38 AM
Anti Dubs will always be just that.

If you don't like the smell of pig shit, and your sisters crack, then become a Dub, and enjoy the free life.

Get over it.
Quote from: Drummerboy on September 24, 2013, 11:18:20 PM
Almost everything you have ever written on this forum has been anti-Dublin. Your hatred of the capital is evident daily on here. You arguments are biased and simply don't make sense. You would rather see GAA diminish in the capital. You don't realise  the amount of work that people have put in. You measure everything in monetary terms.

Here we go with the usual craic. I've made a detailed post of what has happened and why I think Dublin should be split, you clearly can't debate this. You know what I say makes sense, time to face up to it and pick your side. South Dublin, Dun Laoghaire Rathdown or Fingal.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

maddog

Jesus lads, its about getting off yer hole and putting it up to the Dubs. Kerry do it regular, Mayo did it recently but not Sunday, we handed them their asses a couple of times. Splitting Dublin is ludicrous. The real issue in the GAA is that hurling is on its ass, a few counties are there year in year out and no word of it.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Dont Matter on September 25, 2013, 12:27:14 AM
Here we go with the usual craic. I've made a detailed post of what has happened and why I think Dublin should be split, you clearly can't debate this.

I am debating it. You say they have an unfair advantage. I'm asking how you can possibly say that when they're not exactly winning all round them?

You're the one running away from debate here, not me. Ignoring the question and declaring "I'm right and you're wrong" is not debate.

Syferus

Sure we might as well try it for the craic. Let Dont Matter divvy up the city and Eamonnca can get who ever designed the San Fran jersey to make some new threads in shades of blue.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 24, 2013, 10:19:22 PM
Local government boundaries have come and gone. There's 29 counties in the south and none in the north. But everyone still identifies with the traditional 32, thanks in no small part to the GAA reinforcing that sense of local territorial allegiance since 1884. And you think the GAA is going to dump eight centuries of history, and a century and a half of building "brand recognition", all in the name of a county winning its first all-Ireland in god knows how long and because it might start getting too strong?  While Kilkenny bate all round them and there's not a word about splitting them?

Nobody's going to go out and cheer for "County Fingal" or whatever name is concocted for the other half of the county. It's not going to happen.

AFAIK, Kilkenny has just 12 senior and 12 intermediate clubs so splitting that county because of the excellence of its hurlers is a non-runner.
Cork has more than 5 times its hurling resources with Tipp just a short way behind.
I got those figures about 20 years ago and while they may be somewhat outdated by now, I'm sure they are more or less correct.
I got those figures and a lot more besides when a committee chaired by Peter Quinn submitted its report to Congress. The committee had been set up the previous year to examine some issue of concern to the Association and to bring forward its recommendations to the following one.
(I can't remember the exact year but it was in the late 90s, a few years after Quinn's presidency.)
Rural depopulation was one of the issues to be examined and there were a few other s that I can't recall now but the recommendation that Dublin should be split in two got all the headlines. Rightly or wrongly, that proposal got nowhere but the rationale behind it was sound enough.
Believe it or not, the success or otherwise of the county teams didn't enter the picture.
Dublin, in comparison to other counties has by far the greatest percentage of the population but in terms of active participation t club level or even awareness of what's going on in GAA circles, it was (is?) bottom of the pile.
Quinn's committee found that five named Dublin clubs between them had more underage player son their books than any of five counties that were also named.
(Clubs were Ballyboden, Thomas Davis, Brigids Vincents and I forget the other one.
The counties in question were Sligo, Leitrim, Cavan, Fermanagh and Monaghan.
Yet each of the counties has far more than five senior clubs so the drop off in active membership and the failure to get a greater % of the total population involved in Dublin were matters of concern to the GAA.
I don't know what the reaction would be today if a similar report was issued but I imagine the controversy would overshadow the committee's findings once again.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Bingo

If they do split them up, the North Dublin team will get the Dublin home pitch in Croker and the NFL venue in Parnell park. Where will the southsiders play? They have to use the RDS?

Also, will the North siders be barred from Coppers on the south side?

Plus, who will both teams have to start in Div 4 and work their way up?

These are the major issues  ;)

rodney trotter

The North siders would arguably have a stronger side, with players from Oliver Plunketts, Parnells, St Brigids, Ballymun, Na Fianna and St Vincents. Obviously there is lots of non Dubs with those clubs too, but a good number of the Dublin panel would consist of players from those clubs.

Unless Dublin win the next 10 All Ireland's , they could possibly switch,

Dont Matter

Quote from: maddog on September 25, 2013, 12:33:33 AM
Jesus lads, its about getting off yer hole and putting it up to the Dubs. Kerry do it regular, Mayo did it recently but not Sunday, we handed them their asses a couple of times. Splitting Dublin is ludicrous. The real issue in the GAA is that hurling is on its ass, a few counties are there year in year out and no word of it.

Try to read the thread, if every county got 7 million it would make it far easier to compete. One team has been making huge progress in hurling, that's Dublin. Can you guess why that is?
Peter Quinn

Dont Matter

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 25, 2013, 01:15:06 AM
I am debating it. You say they have an unfair advantage. I'm asking how you can possibly say that when they're not exactly winning all round them?

You're the one running away from debate here, not me. Ignoring the question and declaring "I'm right and you're wrong" is not debate.

What's wrong with you? They have an unfair advantage because they receive far more money than everyone else, they got 7 million in a plan devised specifically for them, everyone else got 0. Th fact they've only won 2 senior All Irelands in this time is an embarressment to Dublin. They have won multiple underage All Irelands that they otherwise wouldn't have however. To make it simple for you; Just because they don't win every year doesn't mean they don't have an unfair advantage.
Peter Quinn

DoireGael

Split Dublin.......Split Kilkenny.....Split Kerry......Split Michael Schumacher.....Ludicrous

http://imgur.com/gallery/3Nolu

Dont Matter

Quote from: Bingo on September 25, 2013, 02:01:45 PM
If they do split them up, the North Dublin team will get the Dublin home pitch in Croker and the NFL venue in Parnell park. Where will the southsiders play? They have to use the RDS?

Also, will the North siders be barred from Coppers on the south side?

Plus, who will both teams have to start in Div 4 and work their way up?

These are the major issues  ;)

They will share their home pitch, in football Croke Park is the current Dublins home pitch. It will be the same for the hurlers soon.

I think some of them should be barred anyway for their own health.

Don't Matter also has a new championship and league proposal, once this is implemented the position of each of the Dublins will become clear.
Peter Quinn

Dont Matter

Quote from: DoireGael on September 25, 2013, 03:42:30 PM
Split Dublin.......Split Kilkenny.....Split Kerry......Split Michael Schumacher.....Ludicrous

You're a bit slow.
Peter Quinn

Johnnybegood

Quote from: Dont Matter on September 25, 2013, 03:45:33 PM

You're a bit slow.
would you be happy if a South Dublin team was contesting an all ireland final with a Dublin North team?
Would you object to small counties amalgamating?
Do you know that kildare has roughly the same number of adult players as Dublin ?
What county are you from btw?

Dont Matter

Quote from: Johnnybegood on September 25, 2013, 03:48:58 PM
Quote from: Dont Matter on September 25, 2013, 03:45:33 PM

You're a bit slow.
would you be happy if a South Dublin team was contesting an all ireland final with a Dublin North team?
Would you object to small counties amalgamating?
Do you know that kildare has roughly the same number of adult players as Dublin ?
What county are you from btw?

Yes if they were competing fairly unlike the current Dublin team.
I see no reason for small counties amalgamating.
Again Kildare finances needs to be looked at but start a new thread on that if you want. They didn't get 7 million however.
Laois.
Peter Quinn