Celebrating the establishment of the six county statelet

Started by Orior, March 03, 2020, 08:39:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Up north, Unionists are starting to make noises about how best to celebrate the establishment of a british border in Ireland.

Anyone on GAABoard want to join in this 100 year anniversary?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Denn Forever

Maybe Kate and Liam will drop in for tea at Stormont.  Seeing as they are in they are only down the road.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

BennyCake

Aye, another few million to stage another lick arse visit from the inbred royals. How many houses could that money have built?

seafoid

Quote from: Orior on March 03, 2020, 08:39:08 AM
Up north, Unionists are starting to make noises about how best to celebrate the establishment of a british border in Ireland.

NI was born under a bad sign.

I was in Grace O'Neill's  pub in Donaghdee once.  There was a photo on the wall of the town a century ago.
Everyone was well dressed. It is only x miles from Belfast. You could tell there was money. Back then Belfast was the centre of the Irish economy. The Taigs were all poor and ignorant. All the money was in Belfast. Dublin had tenements and TB.

That was the basis on which NI was carved out. Economic power.  That was then.

But this is now. The Taigs got educated. The Brits didn't care about NI when the great industries collapsed.
Plus the coasting
http://virtualmethodist.blogspot.com/2009/09/coasters.html

Most of the men walking outside Grace O'Neill's were less wealthy than their ancestors.
Things fall apart
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Pub Bore

No thanks.

theticklemister

Quote from: seafoid on March 03, 2020, 11:39:10 AM

NI was born under a bad sign.

I was in Grace O'Neill's  pub in Donaghdee once.  There was a photo on the wall of the town a century ago.
Everyone was well dressed. It is only x miles from Belfast. You could tell there was money. Back then Belfast was the centre of the Irish economy. The Taigs were all poor and ignorant. All the money was in Belfast. Dublin had tenements and TB.

That was the basis on which NI was carved out. Economic power.  That was then.

But this is now. The Taigs got educated. The Brits didn't care about NI when the great industries collapsed.
Plus the coasting
http://virtualmethodist.blogspot.com/2009/09/coasters.html

Most of the men walking outside Grace O'Neill's were less wealthy than their ancestors.
Things fall apart

How far was it to Bangor?

Rossfan

Quote from: BennyCake on March 03, 2020, 11:19:08 AM
Aye, another few million to stage another lick arse visit from the inbred royals. How many houses could that money have built?
Or as someone said on another thread 32 Sinn Féin ones.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

The Subbie

I'd say Charlie Flanagan has a long list of events lined up to help the failed statelet celebrate its ignominious birthday.

Eamonnca1

I'm sure the likes of John Bruton will be first to sign up.

Chief

It will be hard to celebrate something that has been a failure against almost every measurable standard.

Birthed under the threat of "immediate and terrible war", sustained initially  by "A Protestant Parliament for a Protestant People", who famously "wouldn't have a Roman Catholic about the place", made (in)famous by a 30 year war, who has consistently been more economically backward than any comparable region in GB or NI for decades now, and whose existence is likely to end in the short to medium term.

This will be a tough sell...  :-\

weareros

Quote from: The Subbie on March 03, 2020, 07:06:59 PM
I'd say Charlie Flanagan has a long list of events lined up to help the failed statelet celebrate its ignominious birthday.

I seem to recall a list of centenaries all the parties in the NI Assembly had agreed to, previously. Was this on it and anyone have that list? Open to correction but think they all signed up to these centenary celebrations:

Ulster Covenant 2012
Titanic 2012
400 years from the Plantation of Ulster 2013
First World War 2014 to 2018
Easter Rising 2016
Battle of Jutland May 2016
Battle of the Somme July 2016
Rise of the Labour Movement
Lloyd George's Convention 2017to 2018
Universal Male and limited Women's Suffrage 2018
General Election 2018
Treaty of Versailles 2019
War of Independence 2019 to 2021
Government of Ireland Act 2021
Civil War and Partition 2022

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

The Unionists made a horse's arse of their wee statelet

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/border-poll-difficult-to-resist-but-poses-risks-for-economy-moody-s-1.4192536

"The Republic is far wealthier than Northern Ireland and its economy grows much more quickly. "
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Hound

The "we never needed a bailout" rhetoric you hear from unionists when comparing the two economies is hard to listen to given the realities of the NI economy.

Main Street

Quote from: seafoid on March 04, 2020, 12:37:40 PM
The Unionists made a horse's arse of their wee statelet

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/border-poll-difficult-to-resist-but-poses-risks-for-economy-moody-s-1.4192536

"The Republic is far wealthier than Northern Ireland and its economy grows much more quickly. "
Another quote from that article, which contains an Apple plc size account's error.

"A Trinity College Dublin paper written by economists John FitzGerald and Edgar Morgenroth last year noted that the North relies on the equivalent of about a €10 million UK subsidy to prop up the regional economy a year. "