Whats wrong with that? A simple plea for mercy for all sinners
How can everyone be a sinner? It''s nuts

omaghjoe

Quote from: seafoid on May 03, 2017, 08:30:52 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on May 03, 2017, 08:28:59 PM

Do you remember nothing Seafoid?

Our bodies are just vessels riddled by temptations like selfishness, egos, and envy, therefore we are inherently all sinners. In fact that first line is probably sinning against you as its somewhat belittling you, but I'll leave it in as an example of how easy it is to sin. ;)

Maybe you should ask yourself or a priest about what these lines are trying to say rather than declare it nuts just straight off.
It comes across like you have a very closed mind. Like you have a paradigm that you are not going to deviate from maybe?

Lar Naparka

I'm with Tony for once!
His statement doesn't imply that all people are sinners;  just that all who are sinners are fĂșcked for eternity or something like that unless you, me and the rest of humanity plead for mercy for them, or whatever.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

J70

Quote from: T Fearon on May 02, 2017, 10:28:42 PM
You may die to regret this

Why would one regret an honestly held opinion?

If the god of the bible is real, are we not supposed to use our intellectual gifts/talents to the best of our ability?

Is the person who comes to the honestly held opinion that its all a pile of bollocks in worse shape than the person who doesn't give any of it much thought at all, but merely coasts along on what they were indoctrinated with as a young child?

omaghjoe

Quote from: J70 on May 03, 2017, 11:09:45 PM

If the god of the bible is real, are we not supposed to use our intellectual gifts/talents to the best of our ability?

Is the person who comes to the honestly held opinion that its all a pile of bollocks in worse shape than the person who doesn't give any of it much thought at all, but merely coasts along on what they were indoctrinated with as a young child?

But if your dead and you are able to regret (or not) something... then....theres an afterlife

On your other point if you used your intellectual ability you would indeed realise that many version of what is real are possible, unless of course you've been indoctrinated into thinking that one of them is for sure real...?

J70

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 03, 2017, 11:43:01 PM

But if your dead and you are able to regret (or not) something... then....theres an afterlife

On your other point if you used your intellectual ability you would indeed realise that many version of what is real are possible, unless of course you've been indoctrinated into thinking that one of them is for sure real...?

Let's not complicate or obfuscate a straightforward question Joe. Tony is saying that someone may come to regret a lack of faith if they were to die and find they were mistaken. I'm merely asking how someone could be subject to such harsh consequences for an honestly held opinion and asking why someone who did have faith merely because they'd never challenged it beyond what they were taught as a child should fair better?

omaghjoe

Quote from: J70 on May 04, 2017, 12:00:19 AM

Let's not complicate or obfuscate a straightforward question Joe. Tony is saying that someone may come to regret a lack of faith if they were to die and find they were mistaken. I'm merely asking how someone could be subject to such harsh consequences for an honestly held opinion and asking why someone who did have faith merely because they'd never challenged it beyond what they were taught as a child should fair better?

What harsh consequences?

Anyway ..So your telling me that with so many telling you there is the supernatural, the undeniable possibility that there is one, your former belief that there was one. You wouldn't regret in choosing to believe there is defo none, even when you also had a third (and admittedly) probably more logical choice to say maybe there is?

J70

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 04, 2017, 12:17:36 AM

What harsh consequences?

Seriously?

Damnation and hellfire.

Millennia in some penitential purgatory.

Whatever the consequence of unbelief in whatever god one is talking about, in this case, Tony's christian god.

Anyway ..So your telling me that with so many telling you there is the supernatural, the undeniable possibility that there is one, your former belief that there was one. You wouldn't regret in choosing to believe there is defo none, even when you also had a third (and admittedly) probably more logical choice to say maybe there is?

I don't choose to believe or disbelieve anything. It is a judgment call.

Which is my point.

T Fearon

The point is,according to scripture belief in God is an essential requirement for salvation,not the capacity to rationalise or use intellect.Quite simply and logically then,dying without belief in God (if he in fact exists and scripture is true) has disastrous consequences for such individuals.

omaghjoe

Quote from: J70 on May 04, 2017, 02:55:17 AM

What harsh consequences?

Seriously?

Damnation and hellfire.

Whatever the consequence of unbelief in whatever god one is talking about, in this case, Tony's christian god.

Which is my point.

Now your adding things on that may be the case but it depends on your faith, who knows. Who said anything about consequences? I was talking about it from a more personal viewpoint but thinking about it maybe I was assuming we still have an ego in the here after, apologies if there was confusion.

Anyway you've professed atheism here before so I was alluding to your honestly held belief / disbelief in that....? So are you saying that you've shifted your position on it?

seafoid

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 03, 2017, 08:51:59 PM

Do you remember nothing Seafoid?

Our bodies are just vessels riddled by temptations like selfishness, egos, and envy, therefore we are inherently all sinners. In fact that first line is probably sinning against you as its somewhat belittling you, but I'll leave it in as an example of how easy it is to sin. ;)

Maybe you should ask yourself or a priest about what these lines are trying to say rather than declare it nuts just straight off.
It comes across like you have a very closed mind. Like you have a paradigm that you are not going to deviate from maybe?
If God made us like that Joe how is it our fault? Why do.other religions not have the concept of sin?

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: T Fearon on May 04, 2017, 03:15:35 AM
The point is,according to scripture belief in God is an essential requirement for salvation,not the capacity to rationalise or use intellect.Quite simply and logically then,dying without belief in God (if he in fact exists and scripture is true) has disastrous consequences for such individuals.
so now you're questioning the bible and his existence.

big change since earlier in the thread

seafoid

Are Hindus damned ?

J70

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 04, 2017, 03:56:52 AM
Quote from: J70 on May 04, 2017, 02:55:17 AM

What harsh consequences?

Seriously?

Damnation and hellfire.

Which is my point.

Now your adding things on that may be the case but it depends on your faith, who knows. Who said anything about consequences? I was talking about it from a more personal viewpoint but thinking about it maybe I was assuming we still have an ego in the here after, apologies if there was confusion.

Anyway you've professed atheism here before so I was alluding to your honestly held belief / disbelief in that....? So are you saying that you've shifted your position on it?

Er... no... in my opinion, which I did not choose, gods don't exist. Which makes me an atheist.

J70

Well then god is an irrational, egomaniac.

Trump-type figure.

How can one choose to believe?