Galway V Mayo R4 Qualifier

Started by Maroon Manc, July 01, 2019, 10:48:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

True enough.
Losing to the likes of Antrim and no Connacht Title from 2008? to 2016.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Blowitupref

Some of things that happened to Galway in the five years before Kevin Walsh arrived

No Connacht title only reached one final
2014 Galway avoided relegation to Div 3 on a head to head result
Got knocked out of Connacht twice (2010,2012) by Sligo
Shipped a 17 point beating to Mayo in 2013

In the All Ireland series  2010 knocked out by Wexford at home 2011 v Meath in Navan, 2012 v Antrim, 2013 v Cork and 2014 v Donegal.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

MayoBuck

Great win! Was honestly hoping for a result more so than expecting it. Thought our full back and full forward lines were excellent.

Harrison especially so after a couple of poor games. Durcan did well on Walsh, hopefully his hamstring is okay but probably out for next weekend. Some great interplay and scores from the 3 up front. Stephen Coen and Donie Vaughan were excellent around the middle third too.

AO'S did some good work but he let Cooke do what he pleased in the 1st half. Galway didn't look like doing anything at the time only for him. Treacy had a nightmare few minutes  when he came on. Got turned over in the lead up to the penalty and the next point after that. Evan Regan took on a stupid shot as well.

Main Street

It's a mystery how there were only 3 points in it at the end, Mayo had Galway on a string.
But I'll look forward to watching Galway play with new management.

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on July 07, 2019, 12:06:15 AM
Best team won.
Can anyone stop the Superhus?
I expect that's the end of Kevin Walsh as a County manager.
Changing manager did the Rossies no harm this year

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

joemamas

Quote from: sid waddell on July 06, 2019, 10:36:55 PM
I loved that game. It was gripping, had some great football, and was full of pure shithousery of the kind people claim to hate but in reality absolutely love. It was like watching peak late 80s Meath in action. The bitterness and the needle were a joy to behold.

It's not hip to say this sort of thing nowadays, but before the throw in, Aidan O'Shea and Donal Vaughan bullied the Galway midfielders, they asserted their physical dominance over them, and Mayo's performance flowed from that.

Mayo's dominance for most of the match was cornerstoned by that fearsome physical aggression, and they put the wind right up Galway.

It's no coincidence that Matthew Ruane and Diarmuid O'Connor both broke bones in training. It's obvious Mayo have been training like they played tonight, they're prepared to knock lumps out of anyone and everyone, and more power to them for it, that's what championship football is all about.

Shine on you crazy green and red diamonds.

Thank you

kopite

Quote from: galwayman on July 06, 2019, 11:26:06 PM
Quote from: giveballaghback on July 06, 2019, 11:19:42 PM
Im sick to the teeth of reading that Shane Walsh is a quality footballer, he may have some ball skills all right but when the chips are down he a choker and at best a show pony.
Didn't play well today for sure.
Were the chips not down in Hyde Park last year when he dragged us to a Connacht title nearly on his own at times?
Because mcstay had a forward playing centre back and decided there was no need to go man to man on Walsh...still think he's a quality player though

Farrandeelin

I loved that game. It was gripping, had some great football, and was full of pure shithousery of the kind people claim to hate but in reality absolutely love. It was like watching peak late 80s Meath in action. The bitterness and the needle were a joy to behold.

It's not hip to say this sort of thing nowadays, but before the throw in, Aidan O'Shea and Donal Vaughan bullied the Galway midfielders, they asserted their physical dominance over them, and Mayo's performance flowed from that.

Mayo's dominance for most of the match was cornerstoned by that fearsome physical aggression, and they put the wind right up Galway.

It's no coincidence that Matthew Ruane and Diarmuid O'Connor both broke bones in training. It's obvious Mayo have been training like they played tonight, they're prepared to knock lumps out of anyone and everyone, and more power to them for it, that's what championship football is all about.

Kind words sid. You're right. It's kill or be killed in championship football.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

APM

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 07, 2019, 08:49:38 AM

Kind words sid. You're right. It's kill or be killed in championship football.

Spot on! Proper championship football!

Duine Eile

That's that for another year, well done Mayo, best of luck going forward. Galway took too long to get going yesterday, Mayo had 2 goals scored by the time Galway realised they were in a battle. Starting Kyne was nuts, Sean Andy hasn't had a great year but I'd have left him at full back for his presence alone, it upset the whole FB line, he could have done a job at CB maybe but too rusty for full back and he's rarely done well in that position anyway. John Daly, Peter Cooke and Cillian McDaid to a lesser extent were our best on they day. In fairness to Kevin Walsh and his management team they've brought us out of the doldrums, made us competitive and again and a solid Division 1 side but his time is definitely up this year, even the defensive system he draws so much criticism about didn't work this year, our forward play is abysmal and those lads don't seem to be enjoying their football. Time for a change, hopefully someone who can get the most of these players before it's too late.

moysider

Quote from: Duine Eile on July 07, 2019, 04:05:20 PM
That's that for another year, well done Mayo, best of luck going forward. Galway took too long to get going yesterday, Mayo had 2 goals scored by the time Galway realised they were in a battle. Starting Kyne was nuts, Sean Andy hasn't had a great year but I'd have left him at full back for his presence alone, it upset the whole FB line, he could have done a job at CB maybe but too rusty for full back and he's rarely done well in that position anyway. John Daly, Peter Cooke and Cillian McDaid to a lesser extent were our best on they day. In fairness to Kevin Walsh and his management team they've brought us out of the doldrums, made us competitive and again and a solid Division 1 side but his time is definitely up this year, even the defensive system he draws so much criticism about didn't work this year, our forward play is abysmal and those lads don't seem to be enjoying their football. Time for a change, hopefully someone who can get the most of these players before it's too late.

Stephen Rochford would leap at it imo.

galwayman

Maybe I need to watch the game again (I was in a corner of the stand so you miss a lot of stuff at that angle) but to me Kyne was by a mile our best fb line player on the day.
You can't play consistently badly and keep getting selected - so I wouldn't at all blame Walsh for dropping Sean Andy. Let's be honest he has been extremely poor all season.
Dropping him wasnt the cause of Kerin and Silke having nightmare games.
Liam Silke needs a break now imo.
Also I thought McDaid was extremely poor yesterday but again I need to watch it again on tv - maybe I'm being unfair.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: moysider on July 07, 2019, 05:21:11 PM

Possibly. I'm sure his ambitions are to be the top dog again somewhere.

PJ has said he's not interested yet because of his work. Whether true or not I don't know. Besides he's barely started with the U20's.

Divilly maybe but he's with PJ at the moment.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: moysider on July 07, 2019, 05:21:11 PM

Will certainly be in the mix when Walsh departs, knows the Galway scene very well from his time with Corofin and would like to see someone like Dave Morris with him also.