Owen Lennon

Started by upmonaghansayswe, January 08, 2016, 09:36:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

upmonaghansayswe

All the best in retirement Owen. To come back last year after injury and win another Ulster was a fitting end to a great 13 years service.

orangeman

A warrior for monaghan and the club.

charlie linkbox

A great servant to the county who leaves behind a massive void in midfield that will not be easily filled. Our go-to man for over a decade for giving Monaghan a foothold in midfield.

For some reason a league game in Parnell Park against Dublin round '07 or '08 sticks in my mind. Owen and Benny McKenna destroyed a "Ciaran Whelan led" Dublin midfield on our way to a double-scores win (1-11 to 0-7). Owen scored a good point off his left foot that evening.

Rewarded with the two Ulster medals that his efforts deserved.

GrandMasterFlash

Totally agree, a brilliant servant to Monaghan GAA. Good luck to him in his retirement.

I remember himself and Jason McElroy Hughes lording it over Toal & McGrane in the biggest upset of the 2003 season: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/3018467.stm

Go raibh maith agat Eoin.

armaghniac

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on January 08, 2016, 02:14:00 PM
I remember himself and Jason McElroy Hughes lording it over Toal & McGrane in the biggest upset of the 2003 season: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/3018467.stm

I remember that, how did the teams get on in the end that season?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

upmonaghansayswe

Quote from: armaghniac on January 08, 2016, 03:17:45 PM

Monaghan won one trophy that year. Armagh won none...

Maguire01

Great player for Monaghan and will be a big loss. Best of luck!

gwan-ye-boy-ya

Will be missed. good luck Owen.

omaghjoe

Quote from: upmonaghansayswe on January 08, 2016, 04:08:10 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on January 08, 2016, 03:17:45 PM

Monaghan won one trophy that year. Armagh won none...

;D ;D
You walked into that one Armaghniac

armaghniac

Yes, I forgot about the awesomeness of Monaghan. They won nothing after that game though.

gwan-ye-boy-ya

Quote from: armaghniac on January 08, 2016, 10:18:19 PM
Yes, I forgot about the awesomeness of Monaghan. They won nothing after that game though.
Flash was just stating that a young lennon had a great game against the all-ireland champs.
dont be so hurt armaghniac.

armaghniac

Some things leave a scar....

timmyot501

A super servant to Monaghan over the years. Formed a decent partnership with dick clerkin during the last decade. One of the greatest sights for every monaghan fan was when the big man lifted the Anglo Celt in Clones in July 2013.  Thanks for all the effort Owen during the tough times and the last few better years

Main Street

Quote from: upmonaghansayswe on January 08, 2016, 09:36:30 AM
All the best in retirement Owen. To come back last year after injury and win another Ulster was a fitting end to a great 13 years service.
At a late age for a footballer, to return after 14 months out with an awful injury, make it back to midfield in the Ulster Final (our everest) where he took on and bettered Gallagher and managed to score a crucial glorious point in the 2nd half, was a fitting achievement to end up with after those 13 years.

seafoid

I wonder will Monaghan win the all Ireland before Mayo. Whichever 15 does it for whichever county will be surrounded by groupies I imagine going well beyond Christmas for the year in question.