snooker world championship

Started by anportmorforjfc, April 09, 2007, 01:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

If Trump wins the world title, would that be as big a shock as Trump winning the US election?

BennyCake

Williams ahead 15-14, after being 14-7 ahead. Cracking final.

Seany

What do they mean when they say john Higgins is a great 'matchplay' snooker player?

Maiden1

Quote from: Seany on May 07, 2018, 08:58:41 PM
What do they mean when they say john Higgins is a great 'matchplay' snooker player?
Matchplay is winning frames especially tight tactical frames. Judd Trump can make 100 look easy but the best players play the right shot at the right time. Things like putting a ball on cushion when 50 up. Taking them away from cushion when 50 down. Going for a shot and leaving white in place that nothing on if miss.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

Rich Ricci

armaghniac

Good to see an oul fellow come back after a gap.
I haven't been following the snooker as much in recent years. but there was some great play.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Insane Bolt

Tony Baloney

The lads rolling back the years. Great to see.

Seany

Quote from: Maiden1 on May 07, 2018, 09:29:53 PM
Quote from: Seany on May 07, 2018, 08:58:41 PM
Matchplay is winning frames especially tight tactical frames. Judd Trump can make 100 look easy but the best players play the right shot at the right time. Things like putting a ball on cushion when 50 up. Taking them away from cushion when 50 down. Going for a shot and leaving white in place that nothing on if miss.
Thanks for that Maiden.  Very clear explanation. 

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: armaghniac on May 07, 2018, 09:53:10 PM
I haven't been following the snooker as much in recent years. but there was some great play.

Very entertaining battle, although unlike many close finals and rather unusually, this one actually appeared to end earlier than expected, as many frames were won quite quickly.

I heard Davis refer to this as the greatest final of all time. I know that is an entirely subjective judgment, but surely the black ball final which he lost out on to Dennis Taylor has to be the greatest? It crossed my mind that his willingness to label last night as the greatest might be more to do with the pain of having lost in 1985.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on May 08, 2018, 03:28:25 PM

Very entertaining battle, although unlike many close finals and rather unusually, this one actually appeared to end earlier than expected, as many frames were won quite quickly.

I heard Davis refer to this as the greatest final of all time. I know that is an entirely subjective judgment, but surely the black ball final which he lost out on to Dennis Taylor has to be the greatest? It crossed my mind that his willingness to label last night as the greatest might be more to do with the pain of having lost in 1985.

There have been a few close finals over the years which equally would have been the best.. Hendry v White think it was the 4th/5th final in a row.. Higgins final v Ray Reardon Joe jonston's flash in the pan win and John Parrot who beat Jimmy White when everyone wanted White to win

That was a good final last night but, there has been better
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on May 08, 2018, 03:28:25 PM

Yes I was thinking that myself. He's been hoping for 33 years that people will talk about another final. To be fair though, Davis is quite a character. Such a change from his playing days.

Taylor said on commentary too, that not many players come back from 7 frames down in the final. He probably had a smug look on his face saying that, as he did exactly that in 85.

mrdeeds

I never knew Mark Williams was such a personality. He drank all night long then. Funny on Twitter.

Insane Bolt

85 will always be my favourite because I had Taylor backed at 33/1. This years final was top notch also.

upmonaghansayswe

If you have never seen, or even if you have, Ronnie playing competitively he is in the NI Trophy final at the waterfront tomorrow against judd trump at 1pm. I don't know how many other sports have their greatest ever talent playing currently, but snooker does. I was at his semi today against Selby and the standard and drama was top class but the crowd was disappointing. Tomorrows match should be a cracker. So change your sporting plans and go watch a living legend.