snooker world championship

Started by anportmorforjfc, April 09, 2007, 01:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Ronnie's 146 has made him look like a bit of a c**k. Is it the snooker equivalent of Messi's pen.

stew

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 16, 2016, 12:07:53 AM
Ronnie's 146 has made him look like a bit of a c**k. Is it the snooker equivalent of Messi's pen.

Nah, he is just the best player ever at one of the toughest sports in history, the man is a savant
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

rrhf

Quote from: mikehunt on May 05, 2015, 12:01:44 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 05, 2015, 11:56:53 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on May 05, 2015, 11:20:24 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 05, 2015, 10:08:53 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on May 05, 2015, 09:59:32 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 05, 2015, 09:52:54 AM
Quote from: ONeill on May 04, 2015, 11:14:32 PM
Saw Jimmy White in the background watching Bingham kiss the trophy. I'm sure he's thinking - how the feck.

The grumpy shit didn't give him a standing ovation whereas everyone else did!!!  Tough shit Jimmy,  maybe she said to him that she'd rather f**k a World Champion than f**k his saggy old hairy arse!!!  Or maybe he had a shit load of money on Murphy to win!

Bingham played seriously well for someone who had never been in a Final before.  His play during that monster frame was outstanding and the way he held his nerve was brilliant!  Gotta love the underdog!

What did Jimmy ever do to you?

He didn't even clap...and he broke the dreams of a starry eyed young boy who loved watching him play the game!!  He bottled it I tell ye, bottled it!!!

I still love the man. Was such an exciting player to watch and constantly picked himself up after getting kicked in the balls. He wasn't far away from qualifying this year either. It may have broken him but he never gave in. He was grossly unfortunate to run into the borg like Hendry at the height of his powers. When you look at it he didn't really "bottle" too many - the 14-8 to 14-18 one could only have been done by Hendry. That was just pure awesomeness.

Met him years ago in Spain when he was out for a family meal. A real gent!

mate of mine was walking down Temple Bar one night and seen Jimmy p!ssing up against a wall and not in the best of shape. mate goes "Go on Jimmy, you good thing" to which he replied "fak off u paddy cnut". gotta love him.
Anybody having a pee would take exception to being heckled.  A paddy would have flattened your mate. 

cadhlancian

It was bad form to deliberately miss out on a 147. Fabulously talented, but hard to like. Paying customers would be entitled to be mad, asking what money was for a 147 and then doing that? Give the money to charity?
I personally think Hendry in his prime was unbeatable, whilst from a pure talent point of view , jimmy White was tops for me.

winghalfun

Unusually quiet on this thread at such a late stage of this year's competition.

Anyway, that last frame of Fu's and Selby . Is Mark Allen now vindicated for his cheat accusation?

I played a wee bit of snooker in my time and Steve Davis was right.  Anyone involved in the game of snooker knows when they have touched a ball during a shot.
Stephen Hendry also amazed that he didn't call the fowl on himself.
And the boys in the box (John Parrot and Denis Taylor) also speechless for a minute or so.

Tony Baloney

Not calling a foul in snooker is just not cricket.

An Watcher

Just watching bits n pieces of the snooker this year but I don't think it has been that good.  I don't like watching matches that are all about big breaks but this year there has been too much safety n tactical frames

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: winghalfun on April 30, 2016, 08:30:36 PM
Stephen Hendry also amazed that he didn't call the fowl on himself.

I wonder will the chickens come home to roost?

mikehunt

Selby's personality much like his snooker, is hard to like. Thought he got the rub of the green in a lot of the frames. Hope Ding wins it one day. Fantastic player.

longballin

I'm guessing he's called the Jester from Leceister because it rhymes  :-\

No wides

Quote from: mikehunt on May 02, 2016, 10:19:02 PM
Selby's personality much like his snooker, is hard to like. Thought he got the rub of the green in a lot of the frames. Hope Ding wins it one day. Fantastic player.

You couldn't like him if you reared him.  In saying that Steve Davis had that persona also in his playing days and is one of the most likable characters away from the table.

Orior

After winning the World Championship, Selby looked as dull as dish water.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

lurganblue

i had given up on watching snooker for a long time but decided to watch the end of it last night. Boring... i'll not be rushing back to see more of it any time soon.  Selby barely cracked a smile when he won it ffs.

From the Bunker

The problem is the players are too good anymore. In order to be that good a lot has to be sacrificed, including personality. What made it good in the past was players were more erratic. So you have see saw frames. Now you have frames finished at one visit! Also the Competition from other sports on TV was low, so snooker could be afforded more time from sports viewers. This has changed dramatically in the last two decades.

balladmaker

It all went down hill after drinking and smoking were banned from the floor of the Crucible ... those were the days.