Hurricane Irene

Started by Carmen Stateside, August 26, 2011, 10:55:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carmen Stateside

Looks like its going to be a rough weekend on the East coast here in the states.  Hurricane Irene, a category 2 storm right now, could be the biggest storm seen by the North east in a long long time.  They expect it to hit NY area Sunday.  If it stays at catagory 2 it would cause severe damadge around NY, New England.  North Carolina will be first to get hit later today.   
Hopefully all our east coast residents on the board and their familys stay safe! 

J70

Hope the power and cable stays intact until after the Donegal game! :P

Strange week though. I'd never felt an earthquake (mild as it was!) before this week. Never been through a hurricane before either!

Stay safe boys!

dec

The subways and other mass transit will begin shutting down at midday tomorrow so I would guess that any bars that usually show the games will not be open on Sunday.

J70

I watch the games at home. Hook computer up to tv. Just hoping power holds out, although its starting to look like there might be much bigger things to worry about than the Donegal match. Could be a very serious mess.

Tony Baloney

The systems in our new building in PA are getting a quare test this week with quakes and hurricanes!

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: J70 on August 26, 2011, 07:57:10 PM
I watch the games at home. Hook computer up to tv. Just hoping power holds out, although its starting to look like there might be much bigger things to worry about than the Donegal match. Could be a very serious mess.

In the bar this evening that was everyones worry, everyone afraid of the power being out and not seeing the match!

Square Ball

they seem to be evacuating parts of NYC.listening to the mayor talking at the minute
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Carmen Stateside

It seems to have weakened over night, still expected to have 75/80 mph winds with gusta alot higher.  Nearly certain of blackouts purely because of the amount of trees in the area. 
Manhatten will feel strange this evening with no trains or buses operating.

Niall Quinn

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on August 27, 2011, 03:46:58 PM
still expected to have 75/80 mph winds with gusta alot higher.

What's the differentiator between winds and gusts?
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

Square Ball

Quote from: Niall Quinn on August 27, 2011, 08:24:02 PM
Quote from: Carmen Stateside on August 27, 2011, 03:46:58 PM
still expected to have 75/80 mph winds with gusta alot higher.

What's the differentiator between winds and gusts?

the wind is constant at say 50mph with gusts at 80/90mph
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

muppet

Mayo and Donegal have winds every year gusting at least 80 mph. It is what the wind blows over that is the problem. There are very few trees or loose slates etc. in West Mayo or West Donegal.
MWWSI 2017

Forever Green

Heard there was two people killed in N.Carolina RIP

At the same time these tubes were doing this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBVIe-8G9GU

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: muppet on August 27, 2011, 10:00:40 PM
Mayo and Donegal have winds every year gusting at least 80 mph. It is what the wind blows over that is the problem. There are very few trees or loose slates etc. in West Mayo or West Donegal.

Its probably the regularity od gusts over a very short period that makes the difference.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

laoislad

Quote from: Forever Green on August 28, 2011, 01:03:01 AM

At the same time these tubes were doing this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBVIe-8G9GU
Maybe it's the Pinot Grigio but I found that incredibly funny.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Forever Green

I thought it was quite funny too but at the same time extremely retarded lol