GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Eire90 on August 21, 2020, 01:51:49 AM
Why are fans so obsessed with attending games when you can watch on tv
It might just might have something to do with wanting to support their club or county team in person and as tag line said a few years ago, nothing beats being there.

Milltown Row2

Seriously, does anyone really think the spike in numbers is largely due to the numbers at games? I'd be at more than 4 games a week.

Junior championship (novel paring) was about 160 spaced around a large field and very well marshalled , Under 16 Championship game there was about 6 people at it, senior championship there was about 150 at it (being generous) the game last night, minor championship, 20, all parents.

We are getting a rise/spike in numbers for a lot of reasons, house parties, funeral gatherings, meat factories, multiple tenants in a small space, travellers (not those ones ;)) and people not adhering to social distancing in shops and restaurants or bars..

To put the blame at GAA games and attendances is easy as some games have been on tv, punish the clubs that don't adhere, don't be punishing every club!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Cavan19

Are the colleges going back next month, i would be more concerned about them if they are than a few people at a outdoor sports venue. Students sitting in lectures together likely with social distancing in place but 30 or 40 in a 3 bed semi partying till stupid o clock and then heading back to their homes all over the country on a Friday evening will close the country down again.

Eire90

Theres some thing called freshers flu too

Itchy

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on August 20, 2020, 06:49:24 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on August 20, 2020, 05:26:02 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on August 20, 2020, 05:17:50 PM
Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on August 20, 2020, 05:03:35 PM
i think the numbers attending GAA matches should be restricted. There is a differnence between business and peoples livelihoods and  sports and this is factored into what is and isnt an acceptable risk. The line is drawn somewhere and thats that however where the line is, is of course debateable.

i have not seen very many good arguments IMO for increases in spectators numbers at matches, however if the GAA stressed the economic benefit to local businesses of matches taking place i struggle to find an arguement of not allowing spectators at matches.

The good argument is that you are much less likely to get Covid outside than inside. Anyone that ignores this is ignoring science. Allowing 50 people indoors and only 15 outdoors is bollix.
And as for the economic argument, sport is a benefit to people, but there are some costs to running it and you are denying the means to cover those costs.

Well said.

i dont think ive seen anyone claim there is less chance of catching covid indoor v outdoor, so that whole argument is nonsense imo. There are socio econimic elements also considered in deciding what is restricted and what isnt.  Getting schools back has and still seems to be the priority even though it carries a significant level of risk and obviously takes place indoors. Pubs, restaurents, hotels etc. are open because of the economic benefit not because they are safer than other businesses or activities. Sports are very low down the list but beacuse of health and social benefits id imagine  they decided to allow matches to take place.

what i was saying is the economic benefits appear to be a priority for the government and imo rightly so over sports, the GAA could make the argument by having games and spectators they are suppprting economic recovery which is the governments priority.

its hard to argue against allowing pubs and restaurants open to help peoples livelihoods but then say that events that lead to more attendance at these pubs and restaurants which help people livelihoods that work in these businesses  is bad.

We had an advisor from HSE involved with us at work and he said you are 25 time less to catch it outdoors than indoors and that makes perfect sense to me and I don't think its nonsense at all.

BennyCake

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 21, 2020, 08:04:20 AM
Seriously, does anyone really think the spike in numbers is largely due to the numbers at games? I'd be at more than 4 games a week.

Junior championship (novel paring) was about 160 spaced around a large field and very well marshalled , Under 16 Championship game there was about 6 people at it, senior championship there was about 150 at it (being generous) the game last night, minor championship, 20, all parents.

We are getting a rise/spike in numbers for a lot of reasons, house parties, funeral gatherings, meat factories, multiple tenants in a small space, travellers (not those ones ;)) and people not adhering to social distancing in shops and restaurants or bars..

To put the blame at GAA games and attendances is easy as some games have been on tv, punish the clubs that don't adhere, don't be punishing every club!

Say Strabane play Dungannon, the home clubs stewards won't know who is who from the away fans, and who lives in the same household, so clubs can only do so much. The problem might have already happened by carpooling (on probably a journey of an hour) before they entered the ground.

People need to cop on. If you can't get to the match in your own car, then do the sensible thing and stay at home.

PadraicHenryPearse

Quote from: Itchy on August 21, 2020, 09:20:13 AM
Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on August 20, 2020, 06:49:24 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on August 20, 2020, 05:26:02 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on August 20, 2020, 05:17:50 PM
Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on August 20, 2020, 05:03:35 PM
i think the numbers attending GAA matches should be restricted. There is a differnence between business and peoples livelihoods and  sports and this is factored into what is and isnt an acceptable risk. The line is drawn somewhere and thats that however where the line is, is of course debateable.

i have not seen very many good arguments IMO for increases in spectators numbers at matches, however if the GAA stressed the economic benefit to local businesses of matches taking place i struggle to find an arguement of not allowing spectators at matches.

The good argument is that you are much less likely to get Covid outside than inside. Anyone that ignores this is ignoring science. Allowing 50 people indoors and only 15 outdoors is bollix.
And as for the economic argument, sport is a benefit to people, but there are some costs to running it and you are denying the means to cover those costs.

Well said.

i dont think ive seen anyone claim there is less chance of catching covid indoor v outdoor, so that whole argument is nonsense imo. There are socio econimic elements also considered in deciding what is restricted and what isnt.  Getting schools back has and still seems to be the priority even though it carries a significant level of risk and obviously takes place indoors. Pubs, restaurents, hotels etc. are open because of the economic benefit not because they are safer than other businesses or activities. Sports are very low down the list but beacuse of health and social benefits id imagine  they decided to allow matches to take place.

what i was saying is the economic benefits appear to be a priority for the government and imo rightly so over sports, the GAA could make the argument by having games and spectators they are suppprting economic recovery which is the governments priority.

its hard to argue against allowing pubs and restaurants open to help peoples livelihoods but then say that events that lead to more attendance at these pubs and restaurants which help people livelihoods that work in these businesses  is bad.

We had an advisor from HSE involved with us at work and he said you are 25 time less to catch it outdoors than indoors and that makes perfect sense to me and I don't think its nonsense at all.

i really should edit that post...  more chance of transmission indoor v outdoor, that is accepted. its a nonsense argument as the decision to open business/activities is not based soley on risk of transmission, its clear they consider socio economic factors also.

rodney trotter

Quote from: Itchy on August 20, 2020, 12:01:48 AM
Quote from: rodney trotter on August 19, 2020, 05:58:17 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on August 19, 2020, 01:52:32 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on August 19, 2020, 01:35:56 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on August 18, 2020, 09:39:36 PM
There have been no cases tracked from outdoor sports events. None.

Where did you hear this? They have stated that there is evidence to show people carpooling to games, and congregating before and after games, has resulted in cases
GAA officials have stated on field activities hasn't resulted in a case thus far. It was only 100 paying supporters in the 26 counties, 50 from each club. Plenty are carpool to the shops, restaurants, beach etc and congregating before and after.

It seems a few on here are going to be shocked and angry when the plug is pulled on the inter County season to fill the void the club provincial and All-Ireland series should be restored for the October to December.

I've been at games and was a lot more then '100', paying members. It didn't make sense that the 6 Counties went from no crowds to 400.  One step back 2 step forward.

The Airtricity league has been playing with without crowds. They could have used the 200 allowance, but would have more hassle then its was worth with who could have tickets.

Pretty sure loi teams were letting in 50 supporters, drawn between season ticket holders.

They weren't. They had the option but weren't availing of it. Each club is using a streaming service.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: rodney trotter on August 21, 2020, 10:07:57 AM

Where did you hear this? They have stated that there is evidence to show people carpooling to games, and congregating before and after games, has resulted in cases
GAA officials have stated on field activities hasn't resulted in a case thus far. It was only 100 paying supporters in the 26 counties, 50 from each club. Plenty are carpool to the shops, restaurants, beach etc and congregating before and after.

It seems a few on here are going to be shocked and angry when the plug is pulled on the inter County season to fill the void the club provincial and All-Ireland series should be restored for the October to December.

I've been at games and was a lot more then '100', paying members. It didn't make sense that the 6 Counties went from no crowds to 400.  One step back 2 step forward.

The Airtricity league has been playing with without crowds. They could have used the 200 allowance, but would have more hassle then its was worth with who could have tickets.

Pretty sure loi teams were letting in 50 supporters, drawn between season ticket holders.

They weren't. They had the option but weren't availing of it. Each club is using a streaming service.

A couple did. Most reckoned it wasn't worth the hassle or cost to police.

Taylor

So it is pretty clear this decision has not been taken because of the health of the country - its completely down to money.

Itchy

Quote from: rodney trotter on August 21, 2020, 10:07:57 AM

I can tell you Sligo Rovers had supporters at game drawn from their season ticket holders.

rodney trotter

Yeah checked there Sligo had, Finn Harps
Dundalk, Cork City, Shamrock Rovers  St Pats hadn't

dublin7

Quote from: rodney trotter on August 21, 2020, 02:30:03 PM

Bohemians and Shelburne are also not allowing fans to attend. Only Sligo and Finn Harps in the Premier Division are allowing small no of fans to attend.

LOI fans have a streaming service which is working well so fans can watch games online. Why should the GAA be different? GAA fans have no justification to demand they be allowed attend games. GAA need to accept the decision like all the other sporting organizations in this country have done

thewobbler

Quote from: dublin7 on August 21, 2020, 06:06:43 PM

Bohemians and Shelburne are also not allowing fans to attend. Only Sligo and Finn Harps in the Premier Division are allowing small no of fans to attend.

LOI fans have a streaming service which is working well so fans can watch games online. Why should the GAA be different? GAA fans have no justification to demand they be allowed attend games. GAA need to accept the decision like all the other sporting organizations in this country have done

Something to do with 2200 volunteer led clubs versus a dozen semi pro businesses.

Maiden1

Quote from: dublin7 on August 21, 2020, 06:06:43 PM

The GAA exists outside of Dublin and consists of mostly rural less than 500 member clubs.  It's up there with let them eat cake expecting anything outside the top clubs in most counties to be able to set up an online streaming service.
There are no proofs, only opinions.