All Ireland U21 football championship 2017

Started by Captain Obvious, February 21, 2017, 12:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Sadly this highly entertaining and popular grade comes to a end this year. The final ever U21 championship commences this Wednesday.

Leinster

1st round
22-2-17

Westmeath v Meath
Wicklow v Louth
Carlow v Wexford

Quarter finals

1-3-17

Dublin v Meath/Westmeath
Kildare v Longford
Carlow/Wexford v Offaly
Laois v Wicklow/Louth

Semi finals

15-3-17

Dublin/Meath/Westmeath v Kildare/Longford
Carlow/Wexford/Offaly v Laois/Wicklow/Louth

Ulster

Preliminary round

8-3-17

Antrim v Monaghan

Quarter finals

15-3-17

Tyrone v Donegal
Fermanagh v Cavan
Armagh v Down
Derry v Antrim/Monaghan

Semi finals

Tyrone/Donegal v Fermanagh/Cavan
Armagh/Down v Derry/Antrim/Monaghan

Munster

Quarter finals
8-3-17

Kerry v Clare
Tipperary v Limerick

Semi finals
15-3-17

Waterford v Kerry/Clare
Cork v Tipperary/Limerick

Connacht

Preliminary round
11-3-17

Galway v Leitrim

Semi finals
22-3-17
Roscommon v Sligo
Galway/Leitrim v Mayo

All Ireland semi finals

Connacht v Munster
Leinster v Ulster

All Ireland final

sligoman2

Start to finish, it takes seven weeks to complete this competition.

Maybe we could learn something from this.

Who would be favorites for this, I assume Kerry must be near the top considering they have won the minors for the last few years.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Cunny Funt

Kerry with three in a row minor All Ireland winning teams and arguably the best manager the clear favourites.

Galway,Mayo in Connacht will be All Ireland contenders. Kildare Dublin look like the two best in Leinster. Winner of Tyrone v Donegal will probably win Ulster and beat the best in Leinster.

Jinxy

Rumour has it that not only do we not fear the Dubs, we're also never beaten.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

sam03/05

Disgrace that this competition is being scrapped.
It produces some of the best / entertaining do or die matches of the GAA calendar - attracting good crowds. All played in 7 weeks which is how things should be done.
It is the best stepping stone for players to step up to senior squads.
It's a disgrace what it's being replaced with- an u20 competition to be played at the height of summer.
How on earth will that work with clubs etc. Also if a player has been in a senior squad then he can't play. Which makes the competition a farce - Donegal will find it hard to even field a team next year.
It will also lead to a lot of player drop out - at 20 years of age it is very difficult to make a senior squad, most are not ready - the u21s was a great bridge for this.
I predict it will be brought. Back in 3 or 4 years time. This was The GAA answer to the fixture problem
Instead of addressing the real issues. 

Blowitupref

Quote from: sam03/05 on February 21, 2017, 11:37:39 AM
It's a disgrace what it's being replaced with- an u20 competition to be played at the height of summer

How on earth will that work with clubs etc. Also if a player has been in a senior squad then he can't play. Which makes the competition a farce - Donegal will find it hard to even field a team next year.
It will also lead to a lot of player drop out - at 20 years of age it is very difficult to make a senior squad, most are not ready - the u21s was a great bridge for this.
I predict it will be brought. Back in 3 or 4 years time. This was The GAA answer to the fixture problem
Instead of addressing the real issues.
How congress passed the motion with that replacement tournament is a real head scratcher. I hope your prediction is right but I doubt it when you consider Paraic Duffy spent over a decade trying to and finally succeeding to scrap this competition.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Rossfan

Has Mr Duffy overtaken the GPA as the chief bogeyman around here? ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Cunny Funt

Whatever about the GPA and their members I think Mr Duffy is hypocrite. A man so against this competition for years and now that its in the final year he came out with these words last week.

Speaking on behalf of the GAA, Director General Paraic Duffy said: "Since its inception in 1964 the EirGrid U21 Football Championship has been so much more than a stepping stone linking minor and senior, but has always been an outstanding competition in its own right.

"Go down through the list of teams who have carried off the Tim Clarke Cup and it will be dotted with so many of the legends of Gaelic football who signposted their emerging talents with their displays at this grade.

"It remains the case today.  These young stars are the senior heroes of tomorrow and give us great hope and confidence in the future of our Association, while the knockout nature of the competition is a great reward for teams that show consistent high performance

Goals_Will_Come

Donegal highly tipped the year, but expect Tyrone to catch them in the Quarter Final, seriously talented team coming in a little under the radar.

Il Bomber Destro

Armagh, Derry and Monaghan should be decent this year as well.

Would Derry have many u21s involved with Slaughtneil? McGuigan would certainly be a starter for Derry.

All the talk last year was of Tyrone and Donegal and in the end it was Monaghan who won it.

Sleater

Expecting Ulster to be a Donegal v Monaghan final with Donegal favourites. Ususal suspects of Dublin, Corkr, Mayo and Kerry to be there or there abouts in the eventual shake up

Syferus

Quote from: Sleater on February 21, 2017, 07:16:14 PM
Expecting Ulster to be a Donegal v Monaghan final with Donegal favourites. Ususal suspects of Dublin, Corkr, Mayo and Kerry to be there or there abouts in the eventual shake up

Mayo are anything but the usual suspects at U21.

ck

Quote from: Syferus on February 21, 2017, 07:55:40 PM

Of course they're usual suspects!! Always in the shake up at this grade. I can't see anyone touching them in Connacht this year.

Someone above said "Kerry are a mess". I assume that is some strange attempt at sarcasm? Kerry are awesome this year. Easily the best talent pool in Ireland and a top manager. Kerry for All Ireland

Syferus

Quote from: ck on February 21, 2017, 08:20:35 PM

Of course they're usual suspects!! Always in the shake up at this grade. I can't see anyone touching them in Connacht this year.

Someone above said "Kerry are a mess". I assume that is some strange attempt at sarcasm? Kerry are awesome this year. Easily the best talent pool in Ireland and a top manager. Kerry for All Ireland

They've made one Connacht final in eight years. I want what you're smoking.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Syferus on February 21, 2017, 08:23:13 PM
Quote from: ck on February 21, 2017, 08:20:35 PM

They've made one Connacht final in eight years. I want what you're smoking.

For once Syferus you have a point.