DIY thread

Started by Jim Bob, February 25, 2018, 05:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebuzz

Quote from: under the bar on January 03, 2020, 10:26:18 AM
Quote from: Jim Bob on January 03, 2020, 08:24:09 AM
Anyone got a good leaf vacuum for the garden ?  Back breaking stuff shovelling leaves into brown bin. Need something handier at my time of day.

I've had a few of them Jim and I have trees everywhere!   Found the black n decker best of the blow/vac but when it eventually packed in I settled on a petrol blower and two of the big plastic 'hands' out of Home Bargains to lift them.  Much quicker in the long run than blow/vac/mulch and better exercise with a manageable bit of stooping.

If they're the plastic hands I'm thinking of they're a great job for lifting a good pile of leaves.

MoChara

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 02, 2020, 08:17:24 PM
Quote from: MoChara on January 02, 2020, 01:53:42 PM
I have an old shed with a corrugated steel roof, was thinking of converting it to a gym but it could be freezing in the winter, anyone any idea a cheap way to insultate it? can you spray foam insulation straight onto it, not too worried about how pretty it ends up

Panel the roof with some wood,  Use the spray foam insulation and cover with a few sheets of plywood, then nailed to the frame! Perfect

Cheers, I was gonna cheap skate it and Foam insulate the underside of the tin and then panel it saving a layer of boards, but might just have to do it that way.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: MoChara on January 03, 2020, 02:19:41 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 02, 2020, 08:17:24 PM
Quote from: MoChara on January 02, 2020, 01:53:42 PM
I have an old shed with a corrugated steel roof, was thinking of converting it to a gym but it could be freezing in the winter, anyone any idea a cheap way to insultate it? can you spray foam insulation straight onto it, not too worried about how pretty it ends up

Panel the roof with some wood,  Use the spray foam insulation and cover with a few sheets of plywood, then nailed to the frame! Perfect

Cheers, I was gonna cheap skate it and Foam insulate the underside of the tin and then panel it saving a layer of boards, but might just have to do it that way.

Would love to have the freedom/time to try that, but can't be arsed! I've a vison of all the things I want to do or try and nearly got my wife to buy me a whole new set of tools/equipment for doing the DIY stuff but didn't bother!

I could make time but I'm the type that once you start something I'm trying to finish it in a day!!!!!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

Have to fix up an old shed, and was needing guttering.

Was going to go for metal/aluminium guttering as it should last a lot longer. Just wondered what sort of price you'd be talking?

bigfrank

Trying to sort a garden shed for the house,it's gonna me made out of box section and metal cladding sheets or something.first part of the project is forming a concrete base,should I make it the exact size of the sheds frame so the cladding panels go down past the concrete base or should I make the base say a 150mm approx bigger right around the shed or does it matter?? Any do' and donts I should consider??

For concrete base I'm thinking take off grass sods,dig down maybe 150mm,whacker place in 75mm of gravel/stone and then use a 4x2 timber frame levelled and filled with concrete as my base on top?? Bolt shed down to that

johnnycool

Quote from: bigfrank on November 04, 2020, 09:20:54 PM
Trying to sort a garden shed for the house,it's gonna me made out of box section and metal cladding sheets or something.first part of the project is forming a concrete base,should I make it the exact size of the sheds frame so the cladding panels go down past the concrete base or should I make the base say a 150mm approx bigger right around the shed or does it matter?? Any do' and donts I should consider??

For concrete base I'm thinking take off grass sods,dig down maybe 150mm,whacker place in 75mm of gravel/stone and then use a 4x2 timber frame levelled and filled with concrete as my base on top?? Bolt shed down to that

Are you putting a lorry in it?

bigfrank

No few bags of coal/logs, tools and a work bench kinda area just for doing odd jobs,thinking a 10 foot x 10 foot shed or something along that line. I assume your question was a dig at my method lol??

Emmett

Would any of you fine folk be able to offer me some advice please? I am replacing a shower enclosure and have the 2 slide doors removed. However the 2 sides (frames) which are mounted to tiles are not budging. Screws removed and Stanley knife slid through the silicone on both sides. Despite this they are as solid as before I started to work on them, almost as if they are glued down the centre. I'm afraid of cracking the tiles.....help  :o

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Emmett on March 01, 2021, 08:31:29 PM
Would any of you fine folk be able to offer me some advice please? I am replacing a shower enclosure and have the 2 slide doors removed. However the 2 sides which are mounted to tiles are not budging. Screws removed and Stanley knife slid through the silicone on both sides. Despite this they are as solid as before I started to work on them, almost as if they are glued down the centre. I'm afraid of cracking the tiles.....help  :o

DW40, try that
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

majestic

Anyone got recommendations for dealing with mould on a garden shed roof. Im positive its not leaking, I think the moisture was in the wood at the time of building. I've seen anti mould paint, should I just go ahead and give the roof a coat or would there be anything else needed before this?

JoG2

Quote from: majestic on March 01, 2021, 09:13:27 PM
Anyone got recommendations for dealing with mould on a garden shed roof. Im positive its not leaking, I think the moisture was in the wood at the time of building. I've seen anti mould paint, should I just go ahead and give the roof a coat or would there be anything else needed before this?

Roof or celing majestic? I've used anti mould paint on a shed ceiling (hardwood) before, good job. Haven't had to reapply in over a year

Emmett

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 01, 2021, 08:32:38 PM
Would any of you fine folk be able to offer me some advice please? I am replacing a shower enclosure and have the 2 slide doors removed. However the 2 sides which are mounted to tiles are not budging. Screws removed and Stanley knife slid through the silicone on both sides. Despite this they are as solid as before I started to work on them, almost as if they are glued down the centre. I'm afraid of cracking the tiles.....help  :o

DW40, try that

Cheers MR2. Will give it a go

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Emmett on March 01, 2021, 09:33:35 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 01, 2021, 08:32:38 PM

DW40, try that

Cheers MR2. Will give it a go

Re done both shower units during lockdown, a mate who's into his DIY swears by it, lifted stuff off easily enough, let it soak in and see if it moves it.

east down gael

It'll likely be the profiles have silicone ran up the back of them. Very difficult to remove the profiles without damaging the tiles if this is the case. You could try getting a wire in between the profile and the tile.

majestic

Quote from: JoG2 on March 01, 2021, 09:23:26 PM
Quote from: majestic on March 01, 2021, 09:13:27 PM

Roof or celing majestic? I've used anti mould paint on a shed ceiling (hardwood) before, good job. Haven't had to reapply in over a year

Ceiling, what brand did you go for?