Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Quote from: 6th sam on March 31, 2021, 04:19:14 PM
Quote from: Angelo on March 31, 2021, 04:14:19 PM
Quote from: 6th sam on March 31, 2021, 04:04:58 PM
Quote from: ardtole on March 31, 2021, 03:49:28 PM
I dont know anyone in the north who refers to the residents in the south as freestaters. Ive been to hundreds of county games as well and never had any trouble at gaa matches north or south either.

I've never heard it from either side at football matches but have heard a few anecdotes both ways.
I heard The term "freestate" used by farmers back in the day, as a descriptive term based on a lack of knowledge , annoying but not antagonistic. More recently I've heard it used occasionally, and it's always being used antagonistically , it's offensive , and makes no sense to me for  a republican to think that using derogatory terms about the majority of people on this island is going to further their cause .

How is it dergogatory?

It's factual, particularly if you're a republican.

I'm northern and I'm a republican, and I find it derogatory , and what's more I'd be confident that all SF politicians find it derogatory as well

I find it derogatory too, a republican from the unoccupied 3.

Rossfan

We all do "down here".
For the record the Irish Free State passed away 31/12/1937.

I was in an Irish Centre in England some years ago (2014 maybe) to watch a Tyrone/Mayowestros game.
A crowd early 20s bucks from the North came to watch it and it was non stop "Free State bastards" throughout the game, which they thought was hilarious.
Must have been all Angela's relations  ;D

I'm not saying they're representative but jases they were most annoying.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

J70

I dont know anyone in the north who refers to the residents in the south as freestaters. Ive been to hundreds of county games as well and never had any trouble at gaa matches north or south either.

I've never heard it from either side at football matches but have heard a few anecdotes both ways.
I heard The term "freestate" used by farmers back in the day, as a descriptive term based on a lack of knowledge , annoying but not antagonistic. More recently I've heard it used occasionally, and it's always being used antagonistically , it's offensive , and makes no sense to me for  a republican to think that using derogatory terms about the majority of people on this island is going to further their cause .

I've been away a while, but I heard "free state bastards" or the like thrown around plenty of times following Donegal around Ulster over the years, up into the early 00s.

Usually one or two loudmouth wankers, but it was definitely out there.

Silver hill

Quote from: Rossfan on March 31, 2021, 06:08:42 PM
We all do "down here".

I was in an Irish Centre in England some years ago (2014 maybe) to watch a Tyrone/Mayowestros game.
A crowd early 20s bucks from the North came to watch it and it was non stop "Free State bastards" throughout the game, which they thought was hilarious.

Easy explanation there Rossfan; Tyrone. Nothing more to be said.

Itchy

I do recall on one of the occasions we handed Fermanagh a bearing and I'm talking 1990s or 2000s, few eejits had some freestate bastards song. Never heard it said since.

Angelo

How is it dergogatory?

I'm northern and I'm a republican, and I find it derogatory , and what's more I'd be confident that all SF politicians find it derogatory as well

Why do you find it derogatory?

As a Republican I find them claiming a partitioned part of Ireland as the Republic of Ireland insulting. It's the free state, that is what it should be known as while part of this island is still occupied and governed by a foreign power.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Angelo

Quote from: Silver hill on March 31, 2021, 06:21:28 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on March 31, 2021, 06:08:42 PM
We all do "down here".

Easy explanation there Rossfan; Tyrone. Nothing more to be said.

The Derry obsession with Tyrone.

A bit like how unionists model themselves as Super Brits on how much they hate catholics. The Derry lads now try to compete as to who can hate Tyrone the most.

A pitiful culture that has brought them to Div 4 in football. Playing in empty stadiums during Covid must feel like nothing has changed for Derry.

Lar Naparka

This little anecdote may seem to be rambling off-topic but it might serve to emphasise a point I, and others, have been making. The antics of a few can get a whole load of totally innocent people a bad name.
Years ago, the Swinford Pioneers Association organised an excursion to the beach in Bundoran.  This was at the height of summer so there was no spare seats on either of the two buses. A good number of those travelling were honest pioneers with their lapel pins and I'd say just about all were genuine non-drinkers.
You couldn't get a more respectable group of people anywhere. However, a few hard chaws decided to buy tickets and claimed they had no interest in the demon drink. The organisers thought no more of it; they sold all available seats and everyone was in good spirits all the way to Bundoran beach.
It was a very hot day and the usual suspects son grew tired of sitting around eating limp sandwiches and drinking lukewarm coca-cola.
So a few slipped off to the nearest pub and started to lorry into the black stuff.The inevitable happened and soon they were mixing it with a gang from somewhere else who were on the beer too.
A few thumps were exchanged and a few drinks were knocked over and in the end the guards arrived to sort things out.
Of course, the story didn't end there.
Word got back to Mayo that a full-scale brawl had taken place and it took a dozen guards to restore the peace.
The poor Pioneers were blamed for the trouble and bringing shame on the good name of the county. Hard to believe but the Pioneer numbers in the town dropped off and there was never another coach outing in the years that followed.
It's human nature to tar the many with the actions of a minority- much the same as we are discussing here.
I don't imagine the name-callers will derail the peace process  but they have the capacity to gain their fellow nationalists a bad name.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Itchy

6th sam

Quote from: Angelo on March 31, 2021, 06:47:09 PM

How is it dergogatory?

As a Republican I find them claiming a partitioned part of Ireland as the Republic of Ireland insulting. It's the free state, that is what it should be known as while part of this island is still occupied and governed by a foreign power.

I hope I've always treated you with respect Angelo, and hopefully you'll afford me the same. I've called out people from the South whenever they've unfairly attacked us northerners , but everyone's a product of their environment and influences. We've seen on this thread how some southerners have taken on board our concerns and hopefully better understand our psyche . Most of them want a United ireland and regret  the implications of the treaty as much as any of us. You're effectively blaming people for something for which they bear no responsibility, Using a term which clearly generalises and insults .
I find it offensive .

6th sam

Angelo

Quote from: 6th sam on March 31, 2021, 07:13:24 PM
Quote from: Angelo on March 31, 2021, 06:47:09 PM

How is it dergogatory?

I hope I've always treated you with respect Angelo, and hopefully you'll afford me the same. I've called out people from the South whenever they've unfairly attacked us northerners , but everyone's a product of their environment and influences. We've seen on this thread how some southerners have taken on board our concerns and hopefully better understand our psyche . Most of them want a United ireland and regret  the implications of the treaty as much as any of us. You're effectively blaming people for something for which they bear no responsibility, Using a term which clearly generalises and insults .
I find it offensive .

Can you point out what southerners have taken home our concerns?

Bar Itchy I can't really see it.

Where's the contrition and acknowledgement that the Free State failed us?

It's grand they attest to wanting a United Ireland but the constant references of us needing to work with the "DUP/UUP" just shows the ignorance to the situation.

This is the type of nonsense nationalists have to deal with:

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/staff-made-uncomfortable-over-fermanagh-gaa-progress-mla-hits-out-at-latent-intimidation-37041596.html

I haven't seem much effort at acknowledgement and contrition for the inaction and lack of empathy for northern nationalists. I've seen plenty of victim blaming, I've seen plenty of the "both sides as bad as each other commentary", the "but the IRA" excuses, but no one saying yes it was unforgivable the southern state did not do more for northern nationalists during the troubles. They're quick to judge on a conflict they clearly know little about.

I'll put it this way, if your neighbour was walking home one evening and saw you take a ferocious beating from a gang of thugs and you were prone on the ground as you saw him watching it and then running away. You come out of the hospital a few months later with some long lasting trauma and physical impacts. That neighbour who did nothing and who ran away rather than trying to intervene himself, no mattter what the risk never mentions that incident to you again, both of you know what happened but he never acknowledges, he never tells you that he regrets doing nothing - I think the value you would hold that person in as a human being would be very low and then he lectures for sticking up for yourself the next time. For me that's how I view The Free State and anybody who tries to rewrite the history or inaction or disregard shown by the Free State to the north is showing utter contempt to northern natioanlists.

That's plain and simple for me.

Milltown Row2

Plain and simple.... Jesus Christ!!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 31, 2021, 09:06:06 PM

What another great Mildred contribution.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Angelo on March 31, 2021, 09:12:38 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 31, 2021, 09:06:06 PM

What another great Mildred contribution.

I'm struggling with whether or not you believe half the shite that you spew out your gob
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea