Ulster Club SFC 2019

Started by oakleaflad, October 21, 2019, 10:48:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trueblue1234

Fionn said it best. The reality is that, yes there might be a certain edge to entering Ulster repeatedly, and getting experience in that arena  which clubs in Tyrone haven't got. And I think it would help a Tyrone team if they retained they O'Neill cup as the focus at that stage would definitely be on a run in Ulster.
But if the Tyrone teams were good enough they would still have won more. There's no if's or buts about that.
And it's not something I would overly worry about being from Tyrone and feel the need to defend. Would I prefer a Championship like Armagh, where one team dominated the county championship for the last couple of decades but were successful in Ulster and All Ireland as well? Not really. A mix of both would be good as in a competitive county championship and some success in Ulster. 
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Ethan Tremblay

Another genuine question for Angelo, do you think if Cross, Slaughtneil, Scotstown or Kilcoo were in the Tyrone championship they would be capable of winning it consecutively?
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Pearse Blue

The Tyrone Championship is definitely the most challenging in Ulster if not Ireland. Any team can win it on any given day, meaning the best team doesn't always win. Obviously if you do 2/3 in a row county championships you are going to start putting your focus towards Ulster Championships but in Tyrone you don't have the luxury of thinking about ulster and its the main reason Tyrone champions don't show well in ulster. In many counties, the club championship is a run of games to prepare for ulster as the champions can be identified early. 

Pearse Blue

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on October 24, 2019, 09:28:08 AM
Another genuine question for Angelo, do you think if Cross, Slaughtneil, Scotstown or Kilcoo were in the Tyrone championship they would be capable of winning it consecutively?
Consecutively, no.
More frequent than other teams, yes.

marty34

Can we end this waffle that the Tyrone club championship is quality and their teams are 'wrecked'  after playing in that, that they can't compete in Ulster?

Excuses!  Pure nonsense.

They get a 2 week break, at least, after they finish their county campaign so I don't know how they are burnt out.  They only play football - no hurling, so it's pure waffle.

Not good enough as their record in Ulster senior club states - end of story.

Pearse Blue

Quote from: marty34 on October 24, 2019, 09:38:26 AM

Can we end this waffle that the Tyrone club championship is quality and their teams are 'wrecked'  after playing in that, that they can't compete in Ulster?

Excuses!  Pure nonsense.

They get a 2 week break, at least, after they finish their county campaign so I don't know how they are burnt out.  They only play football - no hurling, so it's pure waffle.

Not good enough as their record in Ulster senior club states - end of story.
Correct, some teams that come out of Tyrone aren't good enough. This is because the best team doesn't win it every year like what happens in every other county

oakleaflad

Yes. People are making out like the likes of Ballinderry, Coleraine etc. were just rolling over and letting Slaughtneil beat them there for a few years. Those sides were as good as what was in Tyrone in my opinion.

marty34

Not senior obviously, but I checked out the winners in the St. Paul's Minour Tournament in Belfast.
At the top:
Derry - 16 winners
Tyrone - 4 winners
Antrim - 3 winners
Armagh - 3 winners
Donegal - 3 winners
Fermanagh - 2 winners
Cavan - 1 winner
Monaghan - 1 winner

Tyrone have serious underage talent but getting into Ulster club, whatever age group, they, for whatever reason, don't do it.

Angelo

Quote from: marty34 on October 24, 2019, 09:58:39 AM
Not senior obviously, but I checked out the winners in the St. Paul's Minour Tournament in Belfast.
At the top:
Derry - 16 winners
Tyrone - 4 winners
Antrim - 3 winners
Armagh - 3 winners
Donegal - 3 winners
Fermanagh - 2 winners
Cavan - 1 winner
Monaghan - 1 winner

Tyrone have serious underage talent but getting into Ulster club, whatever age group, they, for whatever reason, don't do it.

Tyrone is a meritocracy, there is no super club, it's highly competitive, we have by far the best success rate in junior and intermediate in the past decade and you have a case like Trillick a few years back who lost an intermediate final and won the senior championship the subsequent season and narrowly lost out to Scotstown in Ulster.

There are 6 or 7 senior clubs who would go into the Ulster Championship and be more than capable of holding their own, I don't think any other county in Ulster would be capable of that now.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

oakleaflad

Quote from: Angelo on October 24, 2019, 10:08:01 AM
At the top:
Derry - 16 winners
Tyrone - 4 winners
Antrim - 3 winners
Armagh - 3 winners
Donegal - 3 winners
Fermanagh - 2 winners
Cavan - 1 winner
Monaghan - 1 winner

Tyrone is a meritocracy, there is no super club, it's highly competitive, we have by far the best success rate in junior and intermediate in the past decade and you have a case like Trillick a few years back who lost an intermediate final and won the senior championship the subsequent season and narrowly lost out to Scotstown in Ulster.

There are 6 or 7 senior clubs who would go into the Ulster Championship and be more than capable of holding their own, I don't think any other county in Ulster would be capable of that now.
I think the top 6 or 7 in Derry are stronger than the top 6 or 7 in Tyrone.

lurganblue

I think we are confusing competitiveness with quality.  Tyrone may have a lot of teams on the same level, making their championship the most competitive, but clearly they are not of the quality of other sides in Ulster. 

Pearse Blue

Quote from: oakleaflad on October 24, 2019, 10:20:59 AM
At the top:
Derry - 16 winners
Tyrone - 4 winners
Antrim - 3 winners
Armagh - 3 winners
Donegal - 3 winners
Fermanagh - 2 winners
Cavan - 1 winner
Monaghan - 1 winner

Not a chance

oakleaflad

Quote from: Pearse Blue on October 24, 2019, 10:31:45 AM
Quote from: oakleaflad on October 24, 2019, 10:20:59 AM
At the top:
Derry - 16 winners
Tyrone - 4 winners
Antrim - 3 winners
Armagh - 3 winners
Donegal - 3 winners
Fermanagh - 2 winners
Cavan - 1 winner
Monaghan - 1 winner

Not a chance
Any logic to go with that? Derry have been much more successful in any possible Ulster competition. Ulster club championship speaks for itself. Even the pre-season Ulster league has been won by Derry teams more than any other county. Tyrone folk seem to think their club sides are much stronger at senior level than they are.

brokencrossbar1

In the last 25 years,  since football was in the re-invention puberty, nearly all of the Ulster club tiles have been won by Armagh and Derry clubs,  20/25.  Ulster must be as easy as the Derry or Armagh championship then to have that level of dominance seeing as clubs can rest themselves to get to the AI series pretty handily....

clarshack

why is senior football so strong in Derry but Intermediate and Junior so poor in comparison with other counties.?