?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Milltown Row2

Quote from: 6th sam on November 09, 2020, 09:19:16 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 09, 2020, 08:34:26 PM
I doubt anyone would put pressure on anyone to wear a poppy, if it was the case we'd have plenty stories about it, other than the ones made up here by boarders saying he'll have pressured into wearing that'

Keane Lennon and O'Connell don't seem the type to bow to pressure.

Did O'Gara regret his attitude to the queen? Or did I read that wrong?

I genuinely don't get this. They weren't pressured into wearing it?
What actually happened was they went down to their local Spar and bought one and have been wearing it daily for the last 2 weeks?

No I reckon it was handed to them and they decided to wear it, they could have decided not too. That's their decision. I don't find it that difficult to understand.

Surely by now after all these years there would be some sort of 'poppy pressure' story coming out!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

6th sam

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 09, 2020, 10:11:21 PM
I doubt anyone would put pressure on anyone to wear a poppy, if it was the case we'd have plenty stories about it, other than the ones made up here by boarders saying he'll have pressured into wearing that'

What actually happened was they went down to their local Spar and bought one and have been wearing it daily for the last 2 weeks?

No I reckon it was handed to them and they decided to wear it, they could have decided not too. That's their decision. I don't find it that difficult to understand.

Surely by now after all these years there would be some sort of 'poppy pressure' story coming out!
I don't think the head of the BBC are standing over presenters and forcefully pinning the poppy to their lapels. But I  Think it highly unlikely that many presenters buy their own poppy in the local shop . Therefore Its easy to assume that there is an unwritten policy of handing presenters poppies with the expectation that they wear one, presumably for presentation purposes. Many of these presenters/pundits probably think "anything for a quiet life" and thereby comply. The likes of McClean  then stands out for his principled stance. It's perhaps a microcosm of British/Irish history. Try to assimilate the Irish to British ways, many will comply, and those that don't are painted as unreasonable agitators. I respect British culture , but don't respect those that give it an elevated status .

BennyCake

The poppy should not be on football shirts, full stop.

I'd say a lot of players have a problem with British army and their wars, but wear one for "a quiet life". The few that don't stick out like a sore thumb.

I don't think there should be any poppy or Remembrance Day recognition at any sporting event. Whatever about remembering those who died in wars, the poppy is a decisive symbol. But if something is to be done, then a minute silence at Remembrance Day weekend matches.

I'm sure the likes of James McClean would respect that (whatever his stance on the poppy). A minute silence, players/fans/management respect the silence, and then play the game. Nobody will be singled out for not wearing a poppy. That is the reason why McClean gets sectarian abuse for the last 8 or 9 years, and the FA need to take the blame for it. But instead, they sit on their arses , say nothing and allow players like McClean take constant abuse.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: 6th sam on November 10, 2020, 01:05:11 PM

I don't think the head of the BBC are standing over presenters and forcefully pinning the poppy to their lapels. But I  Think it highly unlikely that many presenters buy their own poppy in the local shop . Therefore Its easy to assume that there is an unwritten policy of handing presenters poppies with the expectation that they wear one, presumably for presentation purposes. Many of these presenters/pundits probably think "anything for a quiet life" and thereby comply. The likes of McClean  then stands out for his principled stance. It's perhaps a microcosm of British/Irish history. Try to assimilate the Irish to British ways, many will comply, and those that don't are painted as unreasonable agitators. I respect British culture , but don't respect those that give it an elevated status .

I think we are in the dark on this, and my point is that surely after all these years there must be at least one Irish man that has worn a poppy that was 'forced' upon him would come out and speak about his experiences. If they did come out it would at least show them up.

Id say the policy was in place though an unwritten one, but the way the BBC is regulated now in relation to standards fair and equal pay and all the controversy they have take lately will not want to have anymore bad press.

James has stood out and he should never take the treatment he has... I don't blame the Poppy charity for this I blame certain media outlets that like to bring it to the attention of others to create a non story.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Franko

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 10, 2020, 03:10:59 PM

I think we are in the dark on this, and my point is that surely after all these years there must be at least one Irish man that has worn a poppy that was 'forced' upon him would come out and speak about his experiences. If they did come out it would at least show them up.

Id say the policy was in place though an unwritten one, but the way the BBC is regulated now in relation to standards fair and equal pay and all the controversy they have take lately will not want to have anymore bad press.

James has stood out and he should never take the treatment he has... I don't blame the Poppy charity for this I blame certain media outlets that like to bring it to the attention of others to create a non story.

I reckon it's more a Frank Mitchell/Frank McClorey type thing.

If you want to have a successful career on British TV then you have to toe the line.  It's clearly not enforced by any written mandate, moreso subconsciously 'enforced' by a rotten British press and their associated Tommy Robinson type sheep who will hunt down and attempt to destroy the career of those who decide to take a principled stand.

There would also be plenty uber-British types in decision making positions within the BBC who would take a dim view of those who refused to 'honour our heroes'.  They would obviously be too smart to ever record this anywhere in a way that would constitute proof.

So why would anyone speak up, without 'proof' of their claims?

Milltown Row2

I don't know the answer, would there not be people or pundits that have retired from it all and come out and mention, even in passing, that they were 'pressured' into wearing it as someone said that it would further your career or at least keep you in a well paid job..

We are doing a lot of assuming over people wearing the poppy, It would take a brave person to test this theory in fairness, brave as in someone willing to see if not wearing it will mean loss of work...

Was Niblock wearing one or Sidebotton at the weekend?

bannside

No. But he should have been wearing a Saffron jersey with 14 on the back.

general_lee

Look we all know what the British are like with their poppy. I 100% admire anyone that takes a stance against it as the farcical nature of poppy culture manages to outdo itself every year. There's a good account on Twitter called @giantpoppywatch which encapsulates this brilliantly.

Regards BBC, ITV etc. I'm sure they could do without the ensuing complaints if x y or z wasn't wearing one on the 6 o'clock news. I'd hazard a guess x y and z know this too so it suits all parties to a certain extent.

Franko

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 10, 2020, 04:26:43 PM
I don't know the answer, would there not be people or pundits that have retired from it all and come out and mention, even in passing, that they were 'pressured' into wearing it as someone said that it would further your career or at least keep you in a well paid job..

We are doing a lot of assuming over people wearing the poppy, It would take a brave person to test this theory in fairness, brave as in someone willing to see if not wearing it will mean loss of work...

Was Niblock wearing one or Sidebotton at the weekend?

Honestly don't know.  I see what you are saying regarding nobody putting their head above the parapet.  I'd love to ask Niblock exactly what the score is.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Angelo on November 09, 2020, 11:21:49 AM
Quote from: general_lee on November 09, 2020, 10:50:14 AM
Quote from: Angelo on November 09, 2020, 10:38:45 AM
Quote from: general_lee on November 08, 2020, 12:30:20 PM
Quote from: Angelo on November 08, 2020, 12:05:18 PM
Lennon with his poppy on display today.
Oh f**k me

I have an issue with a man from the nationalist community contributing to the Lee Clegg beer fund. Obviously you don't.
I honestly couldn't give a f**k who does or doesn't wear a poppy to be quite honest with you.he's not the first Celtic manager to wear one, he's not the first Celtic manager from the "nationalist" community to wear one. He's not the first Celtic manager from the north to wear one!

I don't think Celtic managers should be wearing a poppy. It's insulting to a huge proportion of the fanbase who have made this clear in the past.
Get a life. There a big Scottish Military tradition and many support Celtic. If Celtic have decided that the management team should wear a poppy to reflect this on one day what is the problem.

tyroneman

Whatever the rights and wrongs of Lennon wearing a poppy, it's doing a great job as a dead cat on table and taking attention away from matters on the pitch

Angelo

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 11, 2020, 08:58:59 AM
Quote from: Angelo on November 09, 2020, 11:21:49 AM
Quote from: general_lee on November 09, 2020, 10:50:14 AM
Quote from: Angelo on November 09, 2020, 10:38:45 AM
Quote from: general_lee on November 08, 2020, 12:30:20 PM
Quote from: Angelo on November 08, 2020, 12:05:18 PM
Lennon with his poppy on display today.
Oh f**k me

I have an issue with a man from the nationalist community contributing to the Lee Clegg beer fund. Obviously you don't.
I honestly couldn't give a f**k who does or doesn't wear a poppy to be quite honest with you.he's not the first Celtic manager to wear one, he's not the first Celtic manager from the "nationalist" community to wear one. He's not the first Celtic manager from the north to wear one!

I don't think Celtic managers should be wearing a poppy. It's insulting to a huge proportion of the fanbase who have made this clear in the past.
Get a life. There a big Scottish Military tradition and many support Celtic. If Celtic have decided that the management team should wear a poppy to reflect this on one day what is the problem.

The problem is what the poppy stands for and who it supports. There is a massive moral issue with supporting the causes of the likes of Lee Clegg and Solider F. Large sections of the Celtic fanbase have made this well known to the board on many occasions.

It's Lennon's choice to wear it but I must say I find it disappointing as a northern nationalist and I think he should have shown more respect than to wear it on matchday. I doubt this was an instruction of the club, I would say it was a choice by Lennon which is disappointing.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

LCohen

Angelo are you barred form the coronavirus threads?

MoChara

"We have always found the Irish a bit odd. ... They refuse to be English"

Angelo

Quote from: LCohen on November 11, 2020, 01:17:06 PM
Angelo are you barred form the coronavirus threads?

I've said what I needed to say and grown tired of the juvenile responses.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL