Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 15, 2018, 12:59:32 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on March 15, 2018, 12:37:15 PM
Guardiola inherited a City team that finished ahead of LVG's United on goal difference. It's seriously overegging things to suggest Guardiola inherited a significantly better side. Who spent the most since then doesn't particulalrly matter as both clubs pretty much have as much cash to spend as they want. If United needed to spend more and didn't that's Mourinho's fault.

Guardiola increased the gap to 9 points last season. Now it's 16. I'm not Guardiola's biggest fan but by any measure (bar a Europa league which Guardiola couldn't win as he wasn't in it) he has clearly outperformed Mourinho. They're actually live contenders for the CL in some peoples eyes which United are miles off.

As for the Spanish media coverage - mostly spot on. I like the word "troglodyte"....very apt.

Pep clearly has out performed Mourinho but he certainly inherited a better side.  Lets not forget he's also spent nearly £200m more than Mourinho too.

Where do you think we'd be with Pep in charge? Look at that squad LVG left, Martial ability wise would be capable of doing what Sane is but apart from De Gea and maybe Valenica at right back I just don't see anyone else who would have been first choice in a Pep team. He'd have needed to buy 2 centre halfs, a left back, 3 central midfielders, a right winger and a centre forward. The sort of money he's had at City wouldn't have been available at OT.

If they were a better side why did they only finish ahead of Louis Van Gaal's United on goal difference? It's a myth. I'd love to see for example how Rashford would have developed with Guardiola....or in fact any manager who values attacking play and creativity. Think he has massive potential.

AZOffaly

Rashford on the left and Salah on the right would be nice :)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 15, 2018, 01:06:22 PM
Rashford on the left and Salah on the right would be nice :)

You'd still need a defence though  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

magpie seanie

Quote from: Rawhide on March 15, 2018, 01:03:58 PM
Guardiola inherited a City team that finished ahead of LVG's United on goal difference. It's seriously overegging things to suggest Guardiola inherited a significantly better side. Who spent the most since then doesn't particulalrly matter as both clubs pretty much have as much cash to spend as they want. If United needed to spend more and didn't that's Mourinho's fault.

Guardiola increased the gap to 9 points last season. Now it's 16. I'm not Guardiola's biggest fan but by any measure (bar a Europa league which Guardiola couldn't win as he wasn't in it) he has clearly outperformed Mourinho. They're actually live contenders for the CL in some peoples eyes which United are miles off.

As for the Spanish media coverage - mostly spot on. I like the word "troglodyte"....very apt.

Your not Guardiola's biggest fan, clearly not a fan of Mourinho, out of curiosity would you telling us who you are a fan of?

Simeone. Pochettino.

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 15, 2018, 01:08:51 PM

Your not Guardiola's biggest fan, clearly not a fan of Mourinho, out of curiosity would you telling us who you are a fan of?

Simeone. Pochettino.

Is Simeone not cut from the same cloth as Mourinho? I thought his Atletico teams were very dour?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 15, 2018, 01:09:45 PM

Simeone. Pochettino.

Is Simeone not cut from the same cloth as Mourinho? I thought his Atletico teams were very dour?

I'd have thought so also, very hard to break down
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rawhide

Simeone. Pochettino.

Why? Simeone is a cut out of Jose. Pochettino, has some proving to do.
cccc is a true supporter lol

Maroon Manc

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 15, 2018, 01:05:25 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 15, 2018, 12:59:32 PM

Pep clearly has out performed Mourinho but he certainly inherited a better side.  Lets not forget he's also spent nearly £200m more than Mourinho too.

Where do you think we'd be with Pep in charge? Look at that squad LVG left, Martial ability wise would be capable of doing what Sane is but apart from De Gea and maybe Valenica at right back I just don't see anyone else who would have been first choice in a Pep team. He'd have needed to buy 2 centre halfs, a left back, 3 central midfielders, a right winger and a centre forward. The sort of money he's had at City wouldn't have been available at OT.

If they were a better side why did they only finish ahead of Louis Van Gaal's United on goal difference? It's a myth. I'd love to see for example how Rashford would have developed with Guardiola....or in fact any manager who values attacking play and creativity. Think he has massive potential.

That City side massively under achieved, they downed tools under Pellegrini. Would need to check but can remember mates saying City only won 5 of last 15 league games. They'd given up as they knew he was going, they were a lot more talented than United. Rashford still has a lot to learn, Pep would have spent big money on a centre forward. Rashford was only 18 when Pep took charge of City.

Bord na Mona man

Guardiola had a much easier job to do.

He inherited a team that in 15/16 had scored 71 league goals compared to Van Gaal's 49. Yes, 49 goals in 38 games.
Since then he has spent close to £280 million on keepers and defenders to plug the leaks at the back.

Cutting lose players with septic attitudes like Nasri and Yaya Toure was also low hanging fruit for Pep.

NAG1

Think it is pretty obvious that United have 'under achieved' under JM currently in terms of style, however what does that say for the rest of the pack behind United?

Spurs getting all the plaudits, Liverpool getting praise heaped on them and yet they are still behind United who are getting stick from every corner.

Yes JM doesnt let the reins off which is a criticism but he plays winning football. Problem this season is that City have been so consistent.

Id agree that he maybe he doesnt know his best team currently which isnt helping the whole squad. But it is hard to argue with their league position in this particular season.

johnnycool

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on March 15, 2018, 01:17:38 PM

He inherited a team that in 15/16 had scored 71 league goals compared to Van Gaal's 49. Yes, 49 goals in 38 games.
Since then he has spent close to £280 million on keepers and defenders to plug the leaks at the back.

Cutting lose players with septic attitudes like Nasri and Yaya Toure was also low hanging fruit for Pep.

Yaya was supposed to be the main man when Pep initially took over. Pep didn't pander to him it seems and somehow Yaya had a change of heart and wanted to stay whether he got a birthday cake or not.

Pep doesn't throw his players under the bus when mistakes are made, Jose could do well to learn that.

WRT managers, big Sam will be available in the summer hopefully and he can bring his all action style to the theatre of dreams.

magpie seanie

You do realise that Mourinho's 2016/17 side scored an amazing 54 goals in 38 games and finished one place lower in the table? And that was with Leicester disintegrating from the previous season.

Guardiola might have had a marginally easier job but not by much. The reason he is succeeding is because his style of play suits his players, they believe in it, they believe in him and they play with the confidence of men who know the manager has their back. United are the opposite.

Last 2 jobs Mourinho left tell you all you need to know. He can assemble the players due to his friendships with agents (show me your friends, eh) and his previous success but they don't like playing for him. Real started winning European Cups right after he left and Chelsea rebounded from just above the relegation zone to blitz the premier league.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 15, 2018, 04:14:54 PM

You do realise that Mourinho's 2016/17 side scored an amazing 54 goals in 38 games and finished one place lower in the table? And that was with Leicester disintegrating from the previous season.
Yeah and 58 goals already this season and on target to break 70. You can't simply claim that Jose is unilaterally ploughing the club into the ground.

There are problems, but there have been improvements also.

Syferus

Quote from: johnnycool on March 15, 2018, 02:56:21 PM

Yaya was supposed to be the main man when Pep initially took over. Pep didn't pander to him it seems and somehow Yaya had a change of heart and wanted to stay whether he got a birthday cake or not.

Pep doesn't throw his players under the bus when mistakes are made, Jose could do well to learn that.

WRT managers, big Sam will be available in the summer hopefully and he can bring his all action style to the theatre of dreams.

Yaya was the main man a few years previously to that, by the time Pep arrived he was a good bit past his peak. The reason he's still there is pretty clearly because no one else is willing to pay his current wages (you can assume Man City have tried to shop him on close to a free, so transfer fees is no real issue) so he's decided to bench warm and collect his money before leaving for Turkey or the US or China.

stiffler

Yet both teams finished on 66 points in 2015/16.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009