Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brick Tamlin

At the risk of defending the black n white mafia im maybe thinking you should cut the lad some slack perhaps.
I think a mixture of poor wording, inexperience of dealing with media, lack of savvy and also maybe being taken out of context a little may be at play here.

I also dont think that this particular magpie would be fit for step up up to intercounty senior level albeit with one of our poorest county outfits in a long time.
People have a misty-eyed romanticism when it comes to teams, players and managers who win trophies. Suddenly we find ourselves in a position where theres a clamouring for Kilcoo folk not only to manage and play for our teams but also to oversee administration in the county.

Personally i dont think too many Kilcoo players would make the transition to county footballers. I also dont think their most famous son is the messiah that we are constantly having rammed down our throats. People seriously lose the run of themselves sometimes. Their club journey has been admirable, and they've clearly delivered again and again domestically when it matters most, but as with most things, their domination too will come to a natural end (If Burren and co ever grow a set of balls) and young Brannigan would maybe be a bit more mature in his outlook.

Folk should look around more often. There is plenty of good work being done by people the length and breadth of the county and also beyond. Just because its not being preached by the noisy usuals or captured by the Newry lens doesnt mean its not happening.

Problems lie with the disconnect between schools and clubs (Primary especially) and trying to drag youngsters from behind consoles and outdoors.
Parents have a massive part to play too. Never seen more underage players molly-coddled in my life.

quit yo jibbajabba

As an outsider he seems v fond of the sheep

Brick Tamlin

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on May 04, 2022, 03:39:38 PM
As an outsider he seems v fond of the sheep

It was only a matter of time.

Taylor

A lot of noise about Brannigan.

It was actually quite refreshing to hear a player give his honest opinion rather than the usual soundbites we hear in interviews.

He is an amateur and entitled to play for whoever he wants at the end of the day.

Rather than focus on him speaking the truth perhaps it would be wiser to focus on the malaise in Down football?

Blowitupref

Quote from: Taylor on May 04, 2022, 04:10:37 PM

It was actually quite refreshing to hear a player give his honest opinion rather than the usual soundbites we hear in interviews.

He is an amateur and entitled to play for whoever he wants at the end of the day.

Rather than focus on him speaking the truth perhaps it would be wiser to focus on the malaise in Down football?
Absolutely but refreshing to see a club player kick his county team when they are in the slums?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

thebar

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 04, 2022, 04:22:54 PM

Absolutely but refreshing to see a club player kick his county team when they are in the slums?
Eugene called it for what is is...cant slat the fella for doing that. Not a chance that going for pints weeks before the championship would have been accepted in Kilcoo and when your used to that your not going to accept anything less than total commitment. Its not there with the county. Nothing Eugene said about the county set up was untrue - he called it for what it is respect to him for that.

imagine

Quote from: thebar on May 04, 2022, 04:43:55 PM

Eugene called it for what is is...cant slat the fella for doing that. Not a chance that going for pints weeks before the championship would have been accepted in Kilcoo and when your used to that your not going to accept anything less than total commitment. Its not there with the county. Nothing Eugene said about the county set up was untrue - he called it for what it is respect to him for that.
If he had been part of the panel,walked away from it-he would have a right to comment.Shameful.

Brick Tamlin

Howl on a minute fellas.
Youre making him out to be Roy Keane ffs.

Take the black n white glasses off for a second.
He could have chosen his words more wisely.

Ethan Tremblay

Quote from: imagine on May 04, 2022, 04:45:22 PM

If he had been part of the panel,walked away from it-he would have a right to comment.Shameful.

Agreed, had he been part of the setup and walked away, he would have been in a better place to comment on it.  Also thought the dig at McCartan was uncalled for, he seemed to backtrack on that however, so maybe he realised what he said as soon as he said it.   
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Smurfy123

Did he tell any lies?
He said the standards are poor and so they are
Who goes drinking during a training camp
I would think his comments regarding the Manager was poorly worded

Smurfy123

I would be more concerned about BOH comments regarding about not caring about the TC
Why would any supporter travel to watch known they don't even want to be there
And let's be real about it that is the level Down are at
BOH is probably best to keep the head down and concentrate on his football

thebar

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 04, 2022, 05:23:04 PM
Did he tell any lies?
He said the standards are poor and so they are
Who goes drinking during a training camp
I would think his comments regarding the Manager was poorly worded
100% agree Smurfy..too much of this "poor me attitude" and not wanting to tell it like it is.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on May 04, 2022, 04:53:56 PM
Quote from: imagine on May 04, 2022, 04:45:22 PM

Agreed, had he been part of the setup and walked away, he would have been in a better place to comment on it.  Also thought the dig at McCartan was uncalled for, he seemed to backtrack on that however, so maybe he realised what he said as soon as he said it.
Totally agree.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

befair

The lack of humility from both Eugene Branagan and BOH is depressing; charitably I could put it down to their lack of experience and being quoted out of context.  Far from "everyone being against us," Kilcoo were supported by all the other clubs in Down, and I have have nothing but admiration for their achievements. But county football is a big step up, and apart from Daryl Branagan (unquestionable the best club footballer in Down) the rest wouldn't add much, though You might think they might want to test themselves against higher standards.
BOH's comments were execrable; Tiers work well in club and ladies football, why should men's county football be a any different?

Wildweasel74

Down better off without a footballer with that opinion. Different ball game if Down were doing well. At least McAvoy has stood up to be counted. None of the Kilcoo lads has stood out at county level to be firing criticism especially those who never played at that level. Derry had the same problem for yrs with good players not playing from various clubs plus others managers should picked/ got rid off and shouldn't have.