Underage squads 2024

Started by beano, March 10, 2024, 10:06:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beano

Quote from: Joeythelips on April 04, 2024, 02:18:28 PMAny potentially good senior players in the making from either u-20s or minor panels?

From looking at the u20s

John Brennan looks like a senior prospect. I thought Darragh Slevin was decent against Carlow and has a bit of pace. Jake Darcy also decent.  Cathal Lee from clonaslee is another one worth looking at in the next few years at senior. I like the two midfielders , they are raw but have great potential.  Its hard to judge the forwards over the past two games due to weather conditions. To be honest none of them really showed that they are of senior inter county standard but maybe on a dry day we might see one or two of them emerge.

Voice of tReason

Slightly underwhelming showings from our minors and u20s on Saturday.

Absolutely no shame in losing to an exceptional Kilkenny side; they'll be very close to an All-Ireland.

We lined out with just five players in their final year (Cathal Cuddy, Aaron Phelan, Cody Comerford, Colin Byrne and Conor Fitzpatrick) but we were just dominated physically and athletically.
I feel we as a county need to invest more determinedly in our Strength & Conditioning. Managers coming in for a year or two will care little about overall player development so it needs to be sorted 'in-house'. I know Laois GAA have appointed someone in this role but I think it's important that his responsibilities cover all development panels, minor and U20.
There's still the nucleus of a talented team there but we're relying too heavily on the individual talents of too few.

Improved showing from the minors after being caught like rabbits in the headlights in Newbridge. Kerry were decent but we just about did enough. Kavanagh made a big impact off the bench and hopefully his injury can be managed to allow him stay in the full-forward line. The positional switches helped too with Cunningham a huge boost after recovering from injury.
I'd expect to see them account for Carlow in the last group game.

Laois Rising

Quote from: beano on April 05, 2024, 12:01:15 PM
Quote from: Joeythelips on April 04, 2024, 02:18:28 PMAny potentially good senior players in the making from either u-20s or minor panels?

From looking at the u20s

John Brennan looks like a senior prospect. I thought Darragh Slevin was decent against Carlow and has a bit of pace. Jake Darcy also decent.  Cathal Lee from clonaslee is another one worth looking at in the next few years at senior. I like the two midfielders , they are raw but have great potential.  Its hard to judge the forwards over the past two games due to weather conditions. To be honest none of them really showed that they are of senior inter county standard but maybe on a dry day we might see one or two of them emerge.

I think that is a very good summary of what is there. There is no one or two players that are really standing out head and shoulders over everyone else that you would describe as a nailed on intercounty senior player. It has been a long time since we produced players with the x-factor. If Laois are to return to being a top 12 side in Ireland in the next 5-10 years then these are the players we will need to start producing again. Otherwise, even with the best manager, organisation and commitment there is a ceiling on what can be realistically achieved.

redsetanta

Good win for the U20's last night and straight through to a semi-final.

Do we know who they will play or is there a draw after q/f's?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

les Antiques

There playing Meath next Tuesday in the quarter finals I believe.  Think it's in Portlaoise. 

The Boy Wonder

Dublin straight into semi-final after winning 2/2 in 3-team group.
Kildare straight into semi-final after winning 2/3 matches in 4-team group.

Laois into quarter-final after winning 3/3 matches in 4-team group.
And their reward ? A date with 2021 Leinster Minor Champions, Meath.

Chrimtain

Quote from: The Boy Wonder on April 10, 2024, 11:18:49 AMDublin straight into semi-final after winning 2/2 in 3-team group.
Kildare straight into semi-final after winning 2/3 matches in 4-team group.

Laois into quarter-final after winning 3/3 matches in 4-team group.
And their reward ? A date with 2021 Leinster Minor Champions, Meath.

In fairness, i'd say the group Laois won was the weakest of the three groups.

les Antiques

I have only seen one of the games but there's something about them .
A very committed bunch with 2 or 3 likely to make it to inter County level .
 Kieran Kelly is a also a future Laois Senior manager I think . They'll give Meath plenty of it next week .

redsetanta

U20's seem to have made a right go of it last night.

Meath had the ability to get goals and the scoreline doesn't reflect how close they were. Two very early goals and then one in the last minute.

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Chrimtain

Quote from: redsetanta on April 17, 2024, 10:15:01 AMU20's seem to have made a right go of it last night.

Meath had the ability to get goals and the scoreline doesn't reflect how close they were. Two very early goals and then one in the last minute.

Laois put up a very good performance last night but shot themselves in the foot on too many occasions. The scoreline does not reflect the closeness of the game. Mid way through the second half, in my opinion, Laois were looking the better team and most likely winners.

Kieran Kelly has done a good job with these lads.

georgedoylesrightleg

third goal killer.early goal hit hard but lads had recovered n had winnin of it. missed chances mid way 2nd half cost them but they rattled fcuk outta meath as seen by sendin off n way meath rowed at end. kelly a fine manager, good setup. be proud o dem lads, murphy of joeys is a real star.

Laois man

What Clubs make up the clan ne NGael team that are playing in the hurling minor league this year??

burdizzo

Quote from: Laois man on April 22, 2024, 09:24:32 PMWhat Clubs make up the clan ne NGael team that are playing in the hurling minor league this year??

Clonad, Trumera, Colt-Shanahoe, and St. Paul's.

Laois man

Burdizzo thanks for that they have some pick from that many clubs.

burdizzo