Hurling 2022

Started by Dag Dog, January 17, 2022, 02:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on July 24, 2022, 07:32:47 AM
https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/race-is-on-to-succeed-brian-cody-as-kilkenny-legend-emerges-as-frontrunner-41862689.htmlFive candidates were immediately linked to the role last night: Henry Shefflin, Eddie Brennan, Michael Fennelly and Conor Phelan, who along with Martin Comerford and James McGarry were part of Cody's management team during the last two seasons, and Derek Lyng.

There were suggestions in some quarters last night that Lyng, who managed Kilkenny to victory in the All-Ireland under 20 championship this year, is seen as the front-runner and the man most likely to be nominated as Cody's successor with Phelan taking over the under-20 side.

Lyng makes the most sense, heavily involved with this team prior to this year and then managing their U20's to an AI so knows the new blood able to come into the panel.

anyone pick up on a bit of sideline disagreements with Cody during the AI final? Not sure who the other lad was, don't think it was McGarry, but was animated with Cody in the second half..

imtommygunn

Quote from: onefineday on July 24, 2022, 05:47:57 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 24, 2022, 02:24:43 PM
https://www.rte.ie/sport/hurling/2022/0723/1311866-fogarty-kilkenny-job-may-come-too-soon-for-shefflin/

It was very frustrating because it has been said before, Brian wouldn't have been the best man-manager and never was.

He never put the arm around the shoulder and I'm just talking from my own personal dealings with Brian. Maybe this happened to other players.You got the team on a Friday night and you weren't on it and possibly never got a word during the week. That was very, very hard to take as a player
Davy Fitz would be some craic as kk manager!

I suspect they're a non outside manager crowd hence Cody and Shefflin and I even saw a few ex player on twitter not maybe being too favourable to Henry.

I'd like to see the reply if he applied though  ;D

marty34

Quote from: johnnycool on July 25, 2022, 08:46:26 AM
https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/race-is-on-to-succeed-brian-cody-as-kilkenny-legend-emerges-as-frontrunner-41862689.htmlFive candidates were immediately linked to the role last night: Henry Shefflin, Eddie Brennan, Michael Fennelly and Conor Phelan, who along with Martin Comerford and James McGarry were part of Cody's management team during the last two seasons, and Derek Lyng.

There were suggestions in some quarters last night that Lyng, who managed Kilkenny to victory in the All-Ireland under 20 championship this year, is seen as the front-runner and the man most likely to be nominated as Cody's successor with Phelan taking over the under-20 side.

Lyng makes the most sense, heavily involved with this team prior to this year and then managing their U20's to an AI so knows the new blood able to come into the panel.

anyone pick up on a bit of sideline disagreements with Cody during the AI final? Not sure who the other lad was, don't think it was McGarry, but was animated with Cody in the second half..

Gorta?

Antrim Coaster

Quote from: marty34 on July 25, 2022, 09:08:18 AM

Gorta?[/b]

Aye it was Gorta, he was running up and down the line like a madman then up to Cody every so often.

Cody would poke him in the chest as if to say 'I'm in charge here'

johnnycool

Quote from: Antrim Coaster on July 25, 2022, 10:13:48 AM

Gorta?[/b]

Aye it was Gorta, he was running up and down the line like a madman then up to Cody every so often.

Old school vrs new school..

marty34

Quote from: johnnycool on July 25, 2022, 11:23:26 AM
Quote from: Antrim Coaster on July 25, 2022, 10:13:48 AM

Gorta?[/b]

Old school vrs new school..

It was the same in Salthill in the famous handshake  game.  The two of them were constantly having a go - well, maybe Cody telling Gorta what to change etc. as I think Gorta was giving the instructions to the players.

Seemed to be heated enough in Salthill. Maybe that was the pressure of that game but not sure.

Cyril Farrell fan

Cody knows himself that he can't keep blocking out the ideas from up and coming coaches. He knows his time is up.

seafoid

Quote from: Cyril Farrell fan on July 25, 2022, 04:09:06 PM
Cody knows himself that he can't keep blocking out the ideas from up and coming coaches. He knows his time is up.
It might be a Man Utd situation. Handpicking the successor from the inside doesn't guarantee anything.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on July 25, 2022, 04:22:34 PM
It might be a Man Utd situation. Handpicking the successor from the inside doesn't guarantee anything.

cody should have nothing to do with his successor as that may tarnish his reputation exactly like Man U and Ferguson.

KK County board need to be strong enough to pick their next man/woman.

Ash Smoker

https://www.buzz.ie/sport/brian-cody-ego-kilkenny-loughnane-27571437

Brian Cody has the biggest ego and we'll never see his like again
Cody always operates to his own rules, that became clear to me 20 years ago — and this is something I've never made public before

ByGer Loughnane
14:58, 25 JUL 2022

There will be no shortage of tributes made to Brian Cody in the days — and maybe even weeks and months — to come.

A lot of them will repeat the same stuff, stuff that he put out there himself about having no tolerance for egos.

That always made me smile, because few people ever had as big an ego as Cody.

Call it self-belief if you want, but Cody was convinced that he was superior to any others he came across.

Conviction
He'd use that great conviction to dominate others on the sideline, officials and the media.

It's 50 years since I first saw him play, and he was a star on that Kilkenny minor team that won the All-Ireland.

Cody was their captain and he gave a brilliant performance against Cork in the decider.

I was doing teaching training in St Pat's, Drumcondra, at the time and we knew Cody was coming to study too so there was a buzz around.

We ended up living in the same house, and in the same corridor of the house, but I could never say that I know Brian Cody.

I'm not sure many people really do.

He always keeps a distance, always operates to his own rules.

That became clear to me 20 years ago — and this is something I've never made public before.

Clare reached the 2002 All-Ireland final and came up against Kilkenny, going down by seven points.

I went to the Clare function for a while that night and then headed back to the Burlington Hotel, where I was staying.

That turned out to be where Kilkenny were having their victory banquet.

Ruthless
I said to myself 'sure, I'll have a word with Cody'.

We were chatting away and Henry Shefflin came into our company.

Henry was just a young lad at the time. He'd won the man-of-the-match award and was clearly chuffed.

But Cody just turned to him and said 'You hit that shot the only place Fitzgerald could save it, never let me see you do that again'.

Henry's face just dropped. I stuck around for another minute or two and then headed up to my room.

I couldn't make sense of it, how cold Cody was to a player who had performed heroics for him that day.

That coldness and ruthlessness was very much part of his make-up.

A lot of players will feel they owe him a huge debt, but I don't think many — if any — would regard him as a friend.

Tommy Walsh was one of the greatest of Cody's players and I went to his retirement function in Langton's a few years ago.

During the night, different players went up to the stage to say a few words about Tommy.

Cody sat there and eyeballed every one of them as they walked up and down.

Their reaction was incredible.

Some of these were fellas with six, seven or eight All-Irelands and they were clearly still spooked by him.

Aura
His aura had them in his grasp. There were fellas retired a few years and they were afraid to look Cody in the eye.

He got the Kilkenny manager's job in November, 1998, and things were going well for us in Clare at the time.

We'd won two of the previous four All-Irelands and three Munster titles.

We had a bit of stature and, as Clare manager, I was asked for a reaction to Cody's appointment.

I gave the reporters one sentence: "We're all in trouble now''.

Cody had virtually no experience in management at the time, and Kilkenny hadn't won an All-Ireland since 1992, so why was I worried?

The reason was that I knew Cody's personality.

It's the same reason that I said, a few years later, that he'd stick around longer than Seán Boylan.

I have never come across anyone as obsessed by hurling — and Kilkenny hurling, in particular — as Cody.

Cody's belief in the greatness of Kilkenny hurling is almost religious, and has been part of his philosophy all through his life.

Indeed, it is nearly 50 years since he said something to me that has stayed with me ever since.

And it is, I believe, the basis for the motivation which sustained him in the job for so long.

Motivation
We were young students shooting the breeze in St Pat's and I remember him declaring with total conviction: "There are always plenty of good hurlers in Kilkenny."

That is why no Kilkenny hurler — no matter how great or popular — ever loses the run of himself or feels secure in the ownership of the black and amber jersey.

In most other counties, once they become successful, players feel that they own the team, that they are indispensable, and then begin dictating how things should be done.

In 2007, I was manager of Galway and, knowing we would meet Kilkenny some time in the Championship, I hoped we'd get them early as possible as I felt that was the best chance of beating them.

We ended up meeting in the All-Ireland quarter-finals, and Kilkenny had the benefit of a Leinster title in the bag.

That was the year when the two Cannings, Ollie and Joe, didn't play for Galway following a controversial county final between Portumna and Loughrea.

Adding further spice was an innocuous answer I gave in an interview before the game.

When asked what to expect when facing Kilkenny, I mentioned the usual skill, speed, ability in the air and, of course, their physicality — especially the tap across the hand in the tackle.

Cody went ballistic, though I was only giving an honest answer.

The word 'physicality' was the problem because, at that time, physicality=dirt, so it wasn't to be mentioned at all.

Now, physicality is accepted for exactly what it means. Tough exchanges and at a completely different level to dirty play.

That was one of the stamps of his teams.

Different names will be mentioned as possible successors but Derek Lyng looks best placed.

Cody will cast a long shadow, though.

We will never see his like again.

Ash Smoker

Loughnane talking about ego!  ;D

johnnycool

Quote from: Ash Smoker on July 26, 2022, 12:42:55 PM

Loughnane certainly should know in fairness.  ;D

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on July 26, 2022, 08:43:12 AM
Quote from: seafoid on July 25, 2022, 04:22:34 PM

cody should have nothing to do with his successor as that may tarnish his reputation exactly like Man U and Ferguson.

KK County board need to be strong enough to pick their next man/woman.
Cody was unique. The next manager will be closer to the mean.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

True. But still thought it was a good piece

marty34

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 28, 2022, 11:01:18 PM

True. But still thought it was a good piece

A good piece from Loughnane - you must be joking?

Talking about an ego...lol. FFS.