Hurling 2022

Started by Dag Dog, January 17, 2022, 02:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on March 28, 2022, 11:28:21 AM
Quote from: keep her low this half on March 27, 2022, 05:44:24 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 27, 2022, 04:33:00 PM
Waterford playing well...

Should be a tough Munster championship this year..

Waterford are a joy to watch with their movement and playing through the lines. The 5 team championship should suit them as they have a very deep panel. If this weekends matches are anything to go by we are in for a treat. I hope Limerick drop a game or two in the round robin to keep it interesting. There is always a danger that they just blow everyone away.

Three teams genuinely feel they're in with a chance of lifting Liam this year.

Limerick
Waterford
Cork

Others that could be in the mix if they find a bit of form, Galway in particular are the proverbial curates egg...

Kilkenny
Tipp
Galway
Wexford

Still think Clare and the Dubs are a tad below that but could easily beat any of the four above on the day.

Interesting championship coming up in a few weeks.
Waterford have psychological issues
Tipp and Galway are rebuilding.

Good video here re Tipp accuracy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoZqopQTpfE

It all depends on what level Limerick are at.

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on March 29, 2022, 10:31:17 AM
https://www.rte.ie/sport/hurling/2022/0328/1289005-cusack-project-belfast-needs-ramping-up/

Project Antrim more like.

Surprised he didn't mention "team Ulster" the spoofer who knows nothing of hurling in Ulster.

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on March 29, 2022, 01:58:08 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 29, 2022, 10:31:17 AM
https://www.rte.ie/sport/hurling/2022/0328/1289005-cusack-project-belfast-needs-ramping-up/

Project Antrim more like.

Surprised he didn't mention "team Ulster" the spoofer who knows nothing of hurling in Ulster.
It shouldn't be run by county if all the counties have the same problem.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

I dont really get the issue with Antrim folk and Donal óg, is it because he is gay? Must be because as far as I can see he the only boy who consistently at least makes any comment on Antrim and who offers any sort of honest critique rather than the oul pat on the back, and tbh he hasnt been wrong in anything he says.

He knows a lot more about hurling than any of us bozos on here

imtommygunn

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on March 30, 2022, 10:55:05 AM
I dont really get the issue with Antrim folk and Donal óg, is it because he is gay? Must be because as far as I can see he the only boy who consistently at least makes any comment on Antrim and who offers any sort of honest critique rather than the oul pat on the back, and tbh he hasnt been wrong in anything he says.

Wise up.

Also JC is from Down not antrim.

marty34

Wtf?

Are you for real? 

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 30, 2022, 10:59:57 AM

Wise up.

I know,sound man too.

But I'm trying to find some ridiculous reason for tye ridiculous responses on social media every time he speaks.

"

johnnycool

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on March 30, 2022, 11:12:05 AM

Wise up.

I know,sound man too.

But I'm trying to find some ridiculous reason for tye ridiculous responses on social media every time he speaks.

"

I can't speak for Donal Og on social media as I don't follow him.

No one underestimates the issues facing Antrim and Ulster hurling but he does go for the odd headline without much thought.

Belfast is nothing like Dublin, the clubs are much smaller and more condensed in certain areas. Yes, get the GPO's in but don't be expecting the clubs to foot half the bill like the super clubs in Dublin can afford to.

So other than a wee soundbite what is he proposing?

Milltown Row2

No, you can be gay and still be a condescending dick.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: johnnycool on March 30, 2022, 01:49:29 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on March 30, 2022, 11:12:05 AM

Wise up.

I know,sound man too.

"

I can't speak for Donal Og on social media as I don't follow him.

No one underestimates the issues facing Antrim and Ulster hurling but he does go for the odd headline without much thought.

Belfast is nothing like Dublin, the clubs are much smaller and more condensed in certain areas. Yes, get the GPO's in but don't be expecting the clubs to foot half the bill like the super clubs in Dublin can afford to.

So other than a wee soundbite what is he proposing?

We have to foot half the bill in Derry for GPO and we never get anywhere what Belfast gets in funding either

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 30, 2022, 06:10:18 PM

No, you can be gay and still be a condescending dick.

Lol, I guess so but I this condescending or stating facts . I'm mad for Antrim to do well but he is right about what he said in terms of where team sits

johnnycool

Fair play to Westmeath, better team won and are currently better placed to make a fist of Div1 hurling than Down.

For Down to have had a chance, they needed to be slicker working the ball out, but alas basic errors were punished hard by Westmeath as it would have been in Div1.
A positive year so far for Down so no complaints here.

As for the other game, serious marker laid down by Waterford there and considering Barron and Gleeson were two notable absentee's they'll take some beating this year. It's no wonder Cahill and Bevans turned down their native Tipp to keep going with this panel. Their in with a serious shout if they keep that up.
Beating Cork on a big pitch with a dry sod when everyone was talking about the seering pace in the Cork team which is indeed there, but Waterford are no slouches either and when Cork lads did take off on the few instances that happened, a waterford lad or two was with them all the way, to get in a hook or flick away. There's a bit of everything in this Waterford team, size, skill, pace and a bit of craft at both end of the field.
They had more options puck out wise, can go short, through the lines and also long, where they've big men under the ball able to out catch their opposite Cork opponent, whereas Cork had to go short as they don't have that same option up the other end, this and their defences inability to win air ball is Cork's weakness, exposed again last night, they don't know who to position at FB, Downey was out on the wing last night, got out caught and outpaced for one of the goals but their defence opened up like the red sea when big men thundered down the middle of their defence. Coleman isn't the type of centre back to go flying into those sort of physical challenges, but someone has to. All four goals hit into the ground to the keepers weak side, they've their homework done..

Wexford can feel a bit better about their performance last weekend now!!

marty34

Quote from: johnnycool on April 03, 2022, 11:56:04 AM
Fair play to Westmeath, better team won and are currently better placed to make a fist of Div1 hurling than Down.

For Down to have had a chance, they needed to be slicker working the ball out, but alas basic errors were punished hard by Westmeath as it would have been in Div1.
A positive year so far for Down so no complaints here.

As for the other game, serious marker laid down by Waterford there and considering Barron and Gleeson were two notable absentee's they'll take some beating this year. It's no wonder Cahill and Bevans turned down their native Tipp to keep going with this panel. Their in with a serious shout if they keep that up.
Beating Cork on a big pitch with a dry sod when everyone was talking about the seering pace in the Cork team which is indeed there, but Waterford are no slouches either and when Cork lads did take off on the few instances that happened, a waterford lad or two was with them all the way, to get in a hook or flick away. There's a bit of everything in this Waterford team, size, skill, pace and a bit of craft at both end of the field.
They had more options puck out wise, can go short, through the lines and also long, where they've big men under the ball able to out catch their opposite Cork opponent, whereas Cork had to go short as they don't have that same option up the other end, this and their defences inability to win air ball is Cork's weakness, exposed again last night, they don't know who to position at FB, Downey was out on the wing last night, got out caught and outpaced for one of the goals but their defence opened up like the red sea when big men thundered down the middle of their defence. Coleman isn't the type of centre back to go flying into those sort of physical challenges, but someone has to. All four goals hit into the ground to the keepers weak side, they've their homework done..

Wexford can feel a bit better about their performance last weekend now!!

Cork, for a second final in a row, will be disappointed.  They wouldn't want to lose another final any time soon.

Full back line in bother, Mark Coleman kept off the ball and probably more worringly,  apart from a few forwards(Hogan and O'Flynn) , they were badly cleaned out. Kingston and co. have work to do to find a settled team.

Waterford were good - ruthless for the goals. Dessie quiet but Bennett, Pa Curran and Neil Montgomery were excellent from open play. Don't seem to cough up many goal chances either in defence.

Down just outclassed. Westmeath's experience counts for a lot at that level.  It's hard to beat. The step up is huge.

Derry move up a league, great to see. Great opportunity in Christy Ring now. Need to win that.

Really good to see hurling in good weather and on a dry sod. Makes some difference.

Don Cockburn

Waterford have peaked too early and set unreal expectations among their supporters.