Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antrim Coaster

Quote from: rrhf on June 01, 2022, 12:22:49 PM
I dont think any neutral counties who has been behind this project would be happy if this is not used by Antrim as their main pitch, and an area to build the GAA from in Belfast.
Why wouldnt it be used by Antrim. It is their county ground - they own it.

Cavan19

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on June 01, 2022, 10:07:36 AM
Quote from: Cavan19 on June 01, 2022, 10:00:50 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on June 01, 2022, 09:48:46 AM
Quote from: Cavan19 on June 01, 2022, 09:28:32 AM
Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on June 01, 2022, 09:22:15 AM
Quote from: Cavan19 on June 01, 2022, 09:15:44 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on June 01, 2022, 08:40:28 AM
Quote from: marty34 on May 31, 2022, 06:00:08 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 31, 2022, 05:51:47 PM
Quote from: marty34 on May 31, 2022, 05:50:32 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 31, 2022, 05:46:51 PM
I'm sure the Gaels of Ardara and Malin are delighted. This has nothing to do with the "Gaels of Ulster" Bully boy tactics .

What about the Gaels of Portaferry etc.?

and the ones in Portavogie.

And Donaghadee.  :)

don't laugh, we've a few wee camogs from Portavogie in the pipeline, Donaghadee is a step too far though  ;D

Quote from: Eire90 on June 01, 2022, 12:06:21 AM
will club teams get access to it  or is it just for antrim and ulster

If you're expecting the South Antrim primary school finals to be played there, then that's a no.

Ulster Club championship games at best played there.

It's the county ground would expect lots of club finals including underage to be played in it.
It's not.

Are you sure it's not going to be ??  ( i know nothing about it but find that strange if Antrim GAA are not going to get use of it)

Like in Cork a stadium management team will be put in place to generate revenue from the place by the Ulster Council.

If Antrim want to use it, they'll pay for it like the Cork Camogs when they use Páirc Uí Chaoimh.

Going by what you are saying it's a waste of money  giving what its going to cost as it looks like the Gaels in Antrim will be looking at it instead of playing in it.  If they spent a few quid in updating/maintaining the county grounds in all the counties it would be a lot better off. ( i know there is a lot of government money going in but the GAA will end up ponying up as well here)
No they won't.
£15 according to that article

marty34

Quote from: Kidder81 on June 01, 2022, 12:19:59 PM
Quote from: Dreadnought on June 01, 2022, 12:15:36 PM
Good run through here from Cahair O'Kane about Casement, and what is expected of it when it opens. Answers a lot of questions posed above about how often it will be used, Antrims use of it and so on.

https://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2022/06/01/news/new-casement-will-be-finished-in-2025-2729473/

"We had an agreement in place with Antrim. With the passage of time, clearly we'll sit down and look at that again. Antrim will enjoy a lot of good days in Casement.

"Depending on their status in the leagues, it will make sense that some of those games would be played at Casement because they would attract a good crowd.

"There's nothing I would say is definite but Antrim's [club] hurling and football finals were always played at Casement, I don't see any reason why those wouldn't be played at the new Casement either."

Stephen McGeehan  ???

So if Antrim are in Div3 or 4 in Football off to Corrigan you go............

Will Ulster GAA be moving their offices to Casement Park now or will they still be in Armagh?

johnnycool

Quote from: Antrim Coaster on June 01, 2022, 01:05:40 PM
Quote from: rrhf on June 01, 2022, 12:22:49 PM
I dont think any neutral counties who has been behind this project would be happy if this is not used by Antrim as their main pitch, and an area to build the GAA from in Belfast.
Why wouldnt it be used by Antrim. It is their county ground - they own it.

Ulster GAA will own Casement as it was "gifted" to them by a previous Antrim executive. Linfield showed the way how to manage your ruling body, Antrim rolled over and got their belly tickled.

Whether Antrim are a sitting tenant, that's another debate.

I do however believe that the current Social Club will still have space in the new stadium but not allowed to open during events.

marty34

Quote from: JoeSoap on June 01, 2022, 09:45:10 AM
I live in Belfast, the area is a killer for parking but the Glider goes out that way. I haven't checked in on the plans in a long time but was there not talk of putting in good transport links/park and ride facilities?

I'd say that should be in the pipeline - in different areas to take the footfall away quicker.

It'd be sensible if in the planning.

full moon

Sounds like nother white elephant like Pairce UI Caoimh that will never be filled.

Not to mention it's way out of the way for most of the province and Antrim have small support. Antrim could barely fill Corrigan Park for the Championship game again Cavan.

They're talking about hosting qualifiers there but like in Cork it isn't central enough for that. The biggest problem was that it was closed up in the first place, that was terrible leaving it falling down.

I won't pretend Clones isn't a dump that's really gone downhill but that's more the town than the stadium. It's not great either but for how much it gets used, a couple of big days a year it's surely adequate??

My main concern is the crowds aren't there anymore for this project and it sounds like it may not be used enough to justify it. I would have similar concerns about other big GAA infrastructure projects, such as Pairce UI Caoimhe.

trailer

How in the name of God can a brand new state of the art stadium in which we can play our games be a white elephant? Some people won't be happy until every stadium is crumbling round them and the piss is running over their shoes.

Cavan19

Quote from: full moon on June 01, 2022, 02:27:50 PM
Sounds like nother white elephant like Pairce UI Caoimh that will never be filled.

Not to mention it's way out of the way for most of the province and Antrim have small support. Antrim could barely fill Corrigan Park for the Championship game again Cavan.

They're talking about hosting qualifiers there but like in Cork it isn't central enough for that. The biggest problem was that it was closed up in the first place, that was terrible leaving it falling down.

I won't pretend Clones isn't a dump that's really gone downhill but that's more the town than the stadium. It's not great either but for how much it gets used, a couple of big days a year it's surely adequate??

My main concern is the crowds aren't there anymore for this project and it sounds like it may not be used enough to justify it. I would have similar concerns about other big GAA infrastructure projects, such as Pairce UI Caoimhe.

There will be feck all up there by the looks of things outside of Ulster Championship semi finals and finals. If Cavan and Monaghan met in a Ulster Semi final or final that would be some trek to bring them all the way up there.

2 Northern teams in a qualifier would be a possibility but they are not going to be playing all Ireland quarter finals there it's to far out of the way unless again its two northern teams.

The GAA are putting £15 million towards this and that would have been better spent on some maintenance and lights in Clones and upgrades in other county grounds.

I though at least Antrim GAA were going to get good use out of it but that looks like it will be limited aswell.

dec

Quote from: trailer on June 01, 2022, 02:38:41 PM
How in the name of God can a brand new state of the art stadium in which we can play our games be a white elephant?

Because it might only be filled once a year.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Cavan19 on June 01, 2022, 02:44:59 PM

There will be feck all up there by the looks of things outside of Ulster Championship semi finals and finals. If Cavan and Monaghan met in a Ulster Semi final or final that would be some trek to bring them all the way up there.

2 Northern teams in a qualifier would be a possibility but they are not going to be playing all Ireland quarter finals there it's to far out of the way unless again its two northern teams.

The GAA are putting £15 million towards this and that would have been better spent on some maintenance and lights in Clones and upgrades in other county grounds.

I though at least Antrim GAA were going to get good use out of it but that looks like it will be limited aswell.

To be fair, for most ulster teams, Clones is a trek. Derry and Donegal are neighbours but both had to trek down to Clones on Sunday.

Cavan19

Quote from: Dreadnought on June 01, 2022, 03:08:11 PM

To be fair, for most ulster teams, Clones is a trek. Derry and Donegal are neighbours but both had to trek down to Clones on Sunday.

That was the final though which is normal to play it in Clones.

Franko

Quote from: Cavan19 on June 01, 2022, 03:12:14 PM

I think that may change - Clones' number is up

In terms of travel, it's a total disaster for Derry, Antrim, Down and most of Donegal, so your argument about Cavan and Monaghan is pretty irrelevant

In the 6 counties, all roads lead to Belfast, so there's dual carriageway on all sides for a 30mile radius (roughly)

Some of the main roads into Clones have grass up the middle of them

I'd have been an advocate of having a stadium with a smaller capacity also - but that ship has sailed

The money is a one-time offer and the GAA is assuming less than 20% of the risk in terms of capital

So as trailer says - GET HER BUILT

Dreadnought

Only normal until it's not normal. Clones, despite the atmosphere, is a dump. A modern stadium, with transport links, is what's needed. The fact is, it's hard to get to, and most other counties have a long way to go to it, sometimes along the very same back roads

trailer

Quote from: Franko on June 01, 2022, 04:07:40 PM

In terms of travel, it's a total disaster for Derry, Antrim, Down and most of Donegal, so your argument about Cavan and Monaghan is pretty irrelevant

In the 6 counties, all roads lead to Belfast, so there's dual carriageway on all sides for a 30mile radius (roughly)

I'd have been an advocate of having a stadium with a smaller capacity also - but that ship has sailed

The money is a one-time offer and the GAA is assuming less than 20% of the risk in terms of capital

An absolute no brainer, even for people with no brains.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Franko on June 01, 2022, 04:07:40 PM

Are you for real.  You obviously know nothing about the road that joins the 2 largest cities or anything about what unionism done to cut us adrift. Dual carriageway we wish. We aren't comparing clones to casement. we are saying it should be spent in the heartlands of mid Ulster where everyone gets a fair stab at travelling