Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bo Man

good luck to the 21s tonite. Hope they sort out that outfit.

BennyHarp

Important win tonight. Well done lads!
That was never a square ball!!

rrhf

Well done team and management.  an important milestone in the comeback for Tyrone football.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Man Marker on April 07, 2015, 11:53:41 PM
Quote from: redzone on April 07, 2015, 05:05:54 PM
The ulster herald has it that dwayne quinn.shea mcgiugan.emmet mckenna and paddy mcniece have left the squad.if true its a wild thing to do a few weeks before the showdown with donegal.granted some might be injured but not all of them

Yeah, go ahead and enlighten us how sitting on a bench all season, playing max of 60 mins and then missing 5 starred games with the club will help you develop as a player. Answers on a stamp.

There is some logic in this for mcguigan and Mcneice who have been there years and not made it but doesn't really make sense for Quinn. It was his first year on panel and surely you'd have to expect a fight on your hands to make the team and that it might take time? He played in 2 or 3 McKenna cup games then got injured and then got a start when back from injury in the league. He didn't do enough to hold down a place that day but who knows in the future.

On a different note it was a super win for the u21s tonight, very good all round team performance. Let's hope they can step up at all ireland level now.

God14

The ulster herald has it that dwayne quinn.shea mcgiugan.emmet mckenna and paddy mcniece have left the squad.if true its a wild thing to do a few weeks before the showdown with donegal.granted some might be injured but not all of them

That's a lot of forwards we have lost from last years panel.  Off the top of my head...
Stephen O'Neill
Martin Penrose
Mark Donnelly
Emmet McKenna
Ciaran McGinley
Shea McGuigan
Paddy McNiece
Kyle Coney

We are only an injury or two away from a crisis.

Youd imagine the management would be taking a serious look at Dan McNulty. He offers something completely different to our prototype small nippy forwards. He has struggled with injuries in recent times but the talent & athleticism is clear for all to see. If he could avoid injury he would be the one that I could see making the step up this year.

BennyHarp

Quote from: God14 on April 09, 2015, 09:57:09 AM

That's a lot of forwards we have lost from last years panel.  Off the top of my head...
Stephen O'Neill
Martin Penrose
Mark Donnelly
Emmet McKenna
Ciaran McGinley
Shea McGuigan
Paddy McNiece
Kyle Coney

We are only an injury or two away from a crisis.

Youd imagine the management would be taking a serious look at Dan McNulty. He offers something completely different to our prototype small nippy forwards. He has struggled with injuries in recent times but the talent & athleticism is clear for all to see. If he could avoid injury he would be the one that I could see making the step up this year.

I believe Ciaran McGinley has transferred back to Errigal from Fulham Irish in London, I wonder will we see him back again?
That was never a square ball!!

Sunny Day

As far as I know,  S McGuigan was only called into the Tyrone set up at the beginning of the 2014 year (I think).  At best he is only with the county senior set up for 15/16 Months max,  I certainly dont think he has been there as years.  I do agree that being part of the Tyrone set up or any county set up will contribute to a players development both mentally and physically and as noted,  a County player should only miss 4 or 5 starred club games at best during any given year.  Having a club player on the county set up automatically gives the club a boost in my opinion and naturally creates a leader/leaders on the pitch for club teams.

Great win for the U21's last night, super game.  Its great to get the win so close to the 1st round of the senior championship.  It just might be the first little edge needed. 

redzone

congrats to the lads last nite, grt team performance. mcshane was brilliant first half and really took the game to Donegal. 2 brennans were outstanding and big dan was the back to his best. there's no real individual stars on this team but just a savage work rate from them. the Roscommon match will be the acid test. great to be n he pitch afterwards watching tyrone lift an ulster title. The joy on peoples faces was unreal, especially the older generation.

a word on the ref who I thought had a good game. at u21 level there is no pressure on refs and they aren't afraid to give out black cards if they are warranted. advantage rule was applied numerous times and he came back after 5 seconds if didn't work out. theres no doubt having watched the Donegal and Kerry games there should have been 8/9 black cards which weren't given. you have the same refs mcquillqn,paudie hughes etc who ref the big games the way they think it should be and players no what they will get away with. if the rules were applied correctly or as near it there wouldn't be much wrong with the game.

well done fergal logan, agreat servant to tyrone football.
wee word on peter the grt, and dooher two legends. how many ulster titles have they between them now

God14

PJ Lavery gone now also!!
Pressure from Damien Cassidy? Both PJ & D. Quinn both going.

All is clearly not well in the senior squad.

Tommo2

I suspect this reaction from many of the squad players is on the back of Joe Mcmahons appearance on Sunday. They were probably already frustrated at not playing, but when someone (albeit a quality player) returns for 1 week training and immediately gets on, its sure to annoy the players even more. I'd say Lavery was on the verge of starting. He must have made an appearance in most league games this season. Has Mickey O'Neill returned to the county panel? Could he be the next to depart?

Tyrone Gaa

Shocking that PJ has followed suit, I heard whispers all day that this was about to happen. Cassidy must be putting serious pressure on the Clonoe lads. He has a point if their not in the first 18 he wants them available but every county needs a squad.  Continues to make a farce of the starred game set up. 2 Cavanaghs should withdraw say they want to make themselves available for Moy or the Omagh Contignent say club first see what happens next. Clonoe, Ardboe, Coalisland and Eglish all benefit
Living the dream!!!

LeoMc

Surprised to see Lavery go, he stuck it out last year and was getting some opportunities this year. I hope it not down to a Derry man forcing club before County.

For the past few years Harte has been getting criticized for not having a settled team. Now by finally trying to do that he is limiting the opportunities for the greater squad. Unless there is an exceptional team spirit and belief that the team is on the verge of something great no man wants to sit on a bench and sacrifice himself for the greater good.
Harte and the 03 team had that with his u-18/u-21 success but the majority of the squad no longer have that belief that comes with success together.

Sunny Day

Sad that these lads have left.  It takes 30 plus players to build a team of 15. During the 2000's club players it was recognised by many of our great players it took every last player to push the starting 15 to the edge, to go one better,  to get that 1% extra out of the team, and every man on that panel was cherished.  Yes, Joe MacMahon coming back might have caused a lot of ill feeling amongest squad players but unfortunately and regretably its part and parcel of football.  2008 seen Stephen O'Neill return for an All Ireland Final, never to be at training all year, never to play 1 minute of championship football.  Ciaran Gourley started and finished every championship game that year and then found himself dropped for that All Ireland Final and not to play as much as 1 second that day.  Brian McGuigan returned from Australia on a Thursday and came on as a substitute that Sunday against Cavan (I think) in 2005 Ulster Championship. These are just some examples.  All players mentioned who have left the panel this year are extremely talented individuals with immense football ability,  they all have many attributes and would make any County set up but it's terrible to see them leave.  I sincerely hope that club managers who have no vested interest in Tyrone Football are not persuading players to leave the county set up.  But,  as pointed out on this forum that could be the case,  I wonder if Damien Cassidy or Martin McKinless had a chat with the said players about staying with the county? I seriously doubt it.  Someone also mentioned Peter Donnelly on this thread and how being on the bench for Tyrone had a negative effect on his football ability.  I would assume if he was asked himself personally, he would say that it was one of the best experiences of his footballing career and without doubt has contributed immensely to Coalisland winning a County Title and more importantly the experiences he gained during his involvement with Tyrone for 10 plus years have added to his working life in terms of his top notch coaching skills and ability and in some way has added to Tyrone's U21 achievement on Wednesday night past.  His efforts with Tyrone are not unnoticed during the 2000's,  it was him who pushed Kevin Hughes, Enda McGinley, Sean Cavanagh, Colly Holmes etc to be the best they could be, and that as a county we should be eternally grateful for.

Redhand Santa

It's hard not to imagine that pressure is being put on the clonoe boys by a Derry man with no interest in Tyrone which is sad to see. For years some clonoe people have complained about their players not being picked and worse still they have gave serious abuse to existing players but it appears the majority of their players aren't interested in playing for Tyrone, dorris didn't want to either.

Both pj and quinn had got opportunities this year. Pj may not have been starting but was a key sub coming on most games. So joe McMahon coming on on Sunday had little impact on him and joe has earned the right for a late start to the year after giving everything over the last ten years. Pj actually went on holidays as far as I'm aware during the McKenna cup and Harte seemed to be very understanding which many county managers wouldn't have accepted from a fringe player.

You'd think listening to some on here that players either have a choice to play for club or county which isn't the case. Unlike many counties tyrone players play in at least two thirds of club league games and championship games. A club like clonoe would easily compete in the other 5 started games given their squad so it makes even less sense. I do appreciate it can impact training but it's great for the lads to be involved at the top level of the game and having the pride to represent their county so wouldn't want to see pressure being out on them.

Moortown Spuds

Wait until next year when minors are stopped from playing for their clubs. If you are 17/18 and not starting for the minor county you will pull out. This will affect every county.

In Tyrone the starred fixtures will be scrapped this year. Some pressure on the remaining fringe players to pull the plug.