The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clonadmad

Quote from: Giovanni on June 01, 2023, 09:00:07 PM
If you say that there is a good crop of kids at u15 level this year, I would absolutely believe it.

You'd hope that this fact would increase the level of enthusiasm and the support of the county board and others. If not, then we're really going nowhere at all.

I'd also think we have the raw material too at u14 but it need to be coached and developed otherwise it will wither on the vine

There's been a few of examples in recent years of very competitive laois teams at u14/15 and it based on raw talent

Then the other counties coaching and s&c programs kick in and those laois teams get left behind

clonadmad

Quote from: Giovanni on June 01, 2023, 03:41:12 PM
Roughly how much do you think it would cost for a really decent coach for these lads?

€60k-€100k a year

It costs to run a successful intercounty minor hurling team

I asked 2 people in 2 separate counties that would have been involved with teams that played in minor all ireland very recently and that's what they came back with

When those 2 teams were u15 you were looking at costs of €40k-50k that year

georgedoylesrightleg

youd wunder where our asociation is gone wen youre spendin a hundred grand to win an u17 medal

ottoman

Quote from: clonadmad on June 02, 2023, 01:42:06 PM
Roughly how much do you think it would cost for a really decent coach for these lads?

€60k-€100k a year

I asked 2 people in 2 separate counties that would have been involved with teams that played in minor all ireland very recently and that's what they came back with

Its crazy money to be competitive at underage level. I live in Dublin these days and I know from chatting to fellas out and about at underage club games that to the money involved in running things in Dublin for u13 development squads to the u17 panel is about 170/200k a year. Obviously, we wouldn't compare to Dublin as they are trying to coach/manager a much larger playing pool, but we would be looking at over a 100k a year if we were to have a similar operation in place from u13 level through to u17.

Giovanni

Quote from: clonadmad on June 02, 2023, 01:42:06 PM

€60k-€100k a year

This is really good information.

Let's imagine that our county board are only spending half the amount of the top counties. So in order to really compete, we'd need to come up with about EUR 20,000 for our talented u-15s to give them a chance to compete. Wouldn't it be possible to get say 4 businesses in the country to become the sponsors of that particular talented group and follow them up through the ranks? I think people would be interested in getting behind a particular team. I really don't think that would take too much effort. But of course the volunteers would have to be properly respected and supported too. This really should be possible.

Blow-in

Now let's imagine your a business person and Laois GAA approach you for the 20k. Think about it and look at the people who would be asking you.

Chairperson - PJ Kelly, I can't think of one positive thing he has done in his role as Chairperson. No leadership or personality. Look across the border and see the influence Michael Duignan has had.

Hurling GDA - Declan Buggy, I don't know anything about him so I can't comment. I've heard some positive things from his previous job.

Football GDA - Donie Brennan, less said the better (represents alot of what's wrong with Laois GAA)

Head of S&C - Tom Hargroves, ran out of Tipp for running a very poor, laughable program with their senior hurlers. Their conditioning this year is chalk and cheese with last years. Just look at our senior footballers and how far they look off the pace from the middle of the road teams this year.

If 3 out of 4 of these people approached me I'd run a mile. No inspiration or initiative between them. Until we remove the deadwood and get passionate, progressive people involved we are wasting our time. We need to make Laois GAA a fashionable product and look at it as a business people want to investinandbe part of. If as it is in its current state is the best we can do, I certainly wouldn't be investing.

I'm just fed up of the whole thing and being bottom of the barrel. We will realistically never win an all ireland but we can be competitive and give people something to support and that kids want to be part of but right now, no chance. We are facilitating GAA not promoting it. Disillusioned with the whole thing.

clonadsane

https://www.laoistoday.ie/2022/11/22/new-look-laois-gaa-jersey-for-2023-season-with-new-sponsor-revealed/

Couldn't agree more regarding our chairman. He references 'ambitious plans' in our sponsorship deal with laois hire, however from what I've heard, it's worse it's getting. Clear out needed from top to bottom. We seem to be a county paying lip service to the GAA.

Giovanni

Wildflowers and LED lighting is the plan. And something about the teams at the end.. Very inspirational.

Still I think there is an opportunity to get further support, if it's needed, from small or medium-sized enterprises to support specific teams, especially at underage level.

clonadmad

Another excellent idea from Offaly

Every player has the opportunity to work with Offaly Coaches

https://twitter.com/offaly_gaa/status/1668225281700634626?s=46&t=Z3KW3Rw04beopUDsdM2Hwg

Spiritof1915

Harps u15s thru to Division 2 feile final after beating kilcormac/kiloughey in the semi final. Hopefully they can see it out.

Zooming around

Well done to Borris on a great performance at the Feile. The Laois teams seem to have done well in general.

Zooming around

Devastating news emerging from The Harps. Deepest sympathies to everybody concerned.

Laois man

mcwregor

Our thoughts are with the Deegan family and all associated with Harps GAA.

On a separate note, with the fallout from the footballers embarrassment in croke park at the weekend there are serious questions being asked of the co board.
I do expect some bit of joined up thinking meetings/forums/plans to take place. They simply just cannot ignore the current demise and apathy towards or county teams.

In all of this the hurling clubs need to be strong and vocal as i could easily see a plan for laois football being drawn up and hurling left to die a slow death.
We need to make sure hurling is part of any revolution, if there is one.

Spiritof86

Ah god . Deepest condolences to his family. Saw him hurling last year. Lovely person and family . RIP young man .