The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laois man

Keyser Söze

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Keyser Söze

Oh go on. Tell us why it isn't.
Has he not been studying the North Tipp Under 6 league structure and how they have consistently produced the best of 7 & 8 year olds in the country?

I'll give you a few reasons.
1) 
He has on occasion (and on sensible matters) challenged both Laois GAA and the higher GAA authorities (through the forum of Laois GAA meetings).
This, to me, gives the impression that he is at least as focused on these matters as he is on climbing the greasy pole that is the world of GAA hierarchy. That hasn't always been the case.

2)
He also has seen how hurling in the county functions (or doesn't) from the viewpoint of club player, club administrator, club manager, county underage manager, county board delegate etc. That's a well rounded experience to bring to the table.

3)
He is not a county board "lifer".

I'm not his campaign manager. He should be open to criticism like everybody else. But if I was somebody like Cheddar, I'd rather be dealing with this kind of person than somebody who is desperate to stay in with the CB executive.

Having said all that, the role is extremely limited in scope.

clonadmad

Quote from: Keyser Söze on February 12, 2021, 11:38:23 AM
Oh go on. Tell us why it isn't.
Has he not been studying the North Tipp Under 6 league structure and how they have consistently produced the best of 7 & 8 year olds in the country?

I'll give you a few reasons.
1) 
He has on occasion (and on sensible matters) challenged both Laois GAA and the higher GAA authorities (through the forum of Laois GAA meetings).
This, to me, gives the impression that he is at least as focused on these matters as he is on climbing the greasy pole that is the world of GAA hierarchy. That hasn't always been the case.

2)
He also has seen how hurling in the county functions (or doesn't) from the viewpoint of club player, club administrator, club manager, county underage manager, county board delegate etc. That's a well rounded experience to bring to the table.

3)
He is not a county board "lifer".

I'm not his campaign manager. He should be open to criticism like everybody else. But if I was somebody like Cheddar, I'd rather be dealing with this kind of person than somebody who is desperate to stay in with the CB executive.

Having said all that, the role is extremely limited in scope.

Comprehensive answer even if you couldn't let it pass without the laughable dig at u6's in Tipperary

I'd disagree with you in relation to the scope of the role and it being limited,there's a whole load of areas that can be improved upon within the county which have been discussed ad nauseam here.

Offaly for one have gotten their act together in the last 2/3 years across a number of different areas,there's a sense here that we are static.

I could outline them but then I'd accused of being an Offaly man

I wish him well in his role

Keyser Söze

I don't think the argument is whether these things should happen.
It's whether it falls under the remit of this position. It's open to interpretation.

You appeared to disagree with my suggestion that it was an improvement?

clonadmad

Quote from: Keyser Söze on February 12, 2021, 12:25:45 PM
I don't think the argument is whether these things should happen.
It's whether it falls under the remit of this position. It's open to interpretation.

You appeared to disagree with my suggestion that it was an improvement?

I think anything would be an improvement as to what's gone before tbh

I presume the hurling board chairman would be responsible for all hurling in the county and act as a catalyst for change and improvements

Your saying the role is limited

How limited is it?

What can he do?

And more importantly what can't he do?

Keyser Söze

It's essentially a subcommittee. It's years since it was a board. Croke Park scrapped those years ago.
It will be interesting to see how much influence he can have.

clonadmad

Quote from: Keyser Söze on February 12, 2021, 03:43:22 PM
It's essentially a subcommittee. It's years since it was a board. Croke Park scrapped those years ago.

I think you'll find a lot of counties still have boards in place for both codes or in particular the weaker code in the county.

That's a moot point regardless.

If he can't effect change even on a revenue neutral basis for hurling,who does.

It's interesting to compare and contrast with our friends in Offaly what's going on under Duignans albeit full CB Chairmanship

Hundreds of thousands raised with the help of Shane Lowry for the Faithfull Fields

Planning in place for another 4 GDA's

6 GPO positions being laid out,2 attaches to clubs already with another one to be shared between 2 clubs shortly

Zooming around

Quote from: clonadmad on February 12, 2021, 03:58:19 PM
Quote from: Keyser Söze on February 12, 2021, 03:43:22 PM

I think you'll find a lot of counties still have boards in place for both codes or in particular the weaker code in the county.

That's a moot point regardless.

If he can't effect change even on a revenue neutral basis for hurling,who does.

It's interesting to compare and contrast with our friends in Offaly what's going on under Duignans albeit full CB Chairmanship

Hundreds of thousands raised with the help of Shane Lowry for the Faithfull Fields

Planning in place for another 4 GDA's

6 GPO positions being laid out,2 attaches to clubs already with another one to be shared between 2 clubs shortly

And the bastards are still too mean to pay their bills

Keyser Söze

Who still has a board for each code?

Ogie

Is there many clubs interested in the new GPO roles being brought forward by Leinster Gaa?
Personally think it's a brilliant idea hopefully plenty of clubs buy in,

Full details to be explained on a Laois Gaa webinar tomorrow, Monday night

Helix.

Quote from: Ogie on March 21, 2021, 04:41:47 PM
Is there many clubs interested in the new GPO roles being brought forward by Leinster Gaa?

On their own it would be a lot. For possibly 2-3 clubs pool together maybe more likely.

clonadmad

Quote from: Helix. on March 21, 2021, 05:42:41 PM
Quote from: Ogie on March 21, 2021, 04:41:47 PM

On their own it would be a lot. For possibly 2-3 clubs pool together maybe more likely.

Offaly have 3 already in place with more to follow.

I think it could be a hard sell in Laois from the few I've spoken to about it ,there's an element of we will wait and see who does it

Hope I'm wrong though

Ogie

I sincerely hope there's not a wait & see policy, get left behind again,
Offaly have gotten their house in order & are doing a lot more than we are, we were looking for more from our GDA's I think this is a brilliant way to maximise,
Approx 6k per year is money well spent rather than a Journy man senior manager in a lot of clubs.
I agree I think it's def a three club per gda deal for most of our clubs, splitting the hours and money, except maybe for Portlaoise who could probably use one full time .