Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Main Street on July 28, 2020, 10:45:59 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 28, 2020, 08:21:14 PM
Quote from: shark on July 28, 2020, 07:40:47 PM
Quote from: Hound on July 28, 2020, 06:18:18 PM
Quote from: 02 on July 26, 2020, 06:36:59 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 26, 2020, 06:21:01 PM
Well done to Villa on staying up. As said already a big club with huge tradition that needs to stay in the Premier league.

Bournemouth and Watford should be suing hawkeye!
Bournemouth said the board are meeting this week to discuss just that!

Not 100% sure, but I think SheffU got compensation when West Ham stayed up after playing Tevez illegally, so there is some kind of precedent. There's no talk of position change  so no need for Villa fans to have any inkling of worry.

Hard to make the case that a goal scored in the 40th minute of a game would certainly lead to a 1-0 full time score. I reckon they have no case whatsoever. Unless the FA just pay up to avoid the publicity headache.

But it's Hawkeye that made the mistake and admitted it. There'll be some level of compensation paid to avoid the bad publicity as you said.
You'd think Hawkeye was an actual person.
A payout? would that not be admitting some liability?  And what is the relationship of the FA to this affair?
Unless the Premier League  have a Sepp Blatter on stage moment, I doubt if there will be any payout, Bournemouth have their parachute money.

Thousands upon thousands of settlements happen without admission of liability with very clear Non Disclosure and confidentiality agreements. A letter from Bournemouth to the PL and Hawkeye will result in a settlement agreement to avoid it going into the public forum

thewobbler

BCB would there not be a clause in all football leagues, that with regards to any on-field incident, the final decision is with the referee and the referee's decision is final?

If not then surely we'd have seen no end of lawsuits over the years.

VAR, I'm pretty sure, is a tool at the ref's disposal, even if it sometimes feels the other way  around.

Main Street

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 29, 2020, 09:00:58 AM
Well done to Villa on staying up. As said already a big club with huge tradition that needs to stay in the Premier league.

Not 100% sure, but I think SheffU got compensation when West Ham stayed up after playing Tevez illegally, so there is some kind of precedent. There's no talk of position change  so no need for Villa fans to have any inkling of worry.

Hard to make the case that a goal scored in the 40th minute of a game would certainly lead to a 1-0 full time score. I reckon they have no case whatsoever. Unless the FA just pay up to avoid the publicity headache.

But it's Hawkeye that made the mistake and admitted it. There'll be some level of compensation paid to avoid the bad publicity as you said.
A payout? would that not be admitting some liability?  And what is the relationship of the FA to this affair?
Unless the Premier League  have a Sepp Blatter on stage moment, I doubt if there will be any payout, Bournemouth have their parachute money.

Thousands upon thousands of settlements happen without admission of liability with very clear Non Disclosure and confidentiality agreements. A letter from Bournemouth to the PL and Hawkeye will result in a settlement agreement to avoid it going into the public forum
Not a chance of compensation, nobody broke any rules. Hawkeye does not have invincible status nor does it have any liability for any mistakes. VAR could have reviewed Hawkeye's decision but did not, also the ref could have requested VAR to review the incident, influenced by  the vehement protests of the players, but rigidly chose not to. There are no rules preventing VAR  reviewing an incident or the Ref to request a review an incident.

I don't know how those thousands of settlements you mention would or could relate to this incident, but is there one settlemet for an error in officiating a football game where no rule has been broken? 

An Watcher

Funny how VAR was brought in to make sure the correct decisions are made. Millions are at stake and here we are!!!

Taylor

Quote from: Main Street on July 29, 2020, 01:41:07 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 29, 2020, 09:00:58 AM

Not a chance of compensation, nobody broke any rules. Hawkeye does not have invincible status nor does it have any liability for any mistakes. VAR could have reviewed Hawkeye's decision but did not, also the ref could have requested VAR to review the incident, influenced by  the vehement protests of the players, but rigidly chose not to. There are no rules preventing VAR  reviewing an incident or the Ref to request a review an incident.

I don't know how those thousands of settlements you mention would or could relate to this incident, but is there one settlemet for an error in officiating a football game where no rule has been broken?

No way will a letter from Bournemouth to the PL result in compensation - crazy to even consider that will happen.

brokencrossbar1

Lads, there are millions invested in the EPL, Bournemouth are going down and are a club that are likely gonna struggle to get back up. There may be any number of clauses that cover what happens in the field etc etc but a lot of the time these types of cases are played through the court of public opinion. I know if I was advising Bournemouth I'd be going for it given how blatant the mistake was and the fact that it was acknowledged as a mistake. You or I may never know it happened because of confidentiality but I wouldn't be surprised if a deal is done

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 29, 2020, 04:13:44 PM
Lads, there are millions invested in the EPL, Bournemouth are going down and are a club that are likely gonna struggle to get back up. There may be any number of clauses that cover what happens in the field etc etc but a lot of the time these types of cases are played through the court of public opinion. I know if I was advising Bournemouth I'd be going for it given how blatant the mistake was and the fact that it was acknowledged as a mistake. You or I may never know it happened because of confidentiality but I wouldn't be surprised if a deal is done

Didn't West Ham have to pay Sheff Utd years ago over the EPL rules regarding 3rd party player ownership? There is a sniff of a chance

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on July 29, 2020, 04:27:28 PM

Didn't West Ham have to pay Sheff Utd years ago over the EPL rules regarding 3rd party player ownership? There is a sniff of a chance

Yeah they ended up paying them £18m over Carlos Tevez playing and he wasn't correctly registered.

Main Street

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 29, 2020, 04:38:26 PM

Yeah they ended up paying them £18m over Carlos Tevez playing and he wasn't correctly registered.
A rule was broken for Tevez,
not remotely resembling a precedent for Bournemouth to hang their hat on.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Main Street on July 29, 2020, 06:57:39 PM

West Ham got away with murder not getting a points deduction. They were found guily of breaking the rules and every game that Tevez played could have been given as a 3-0 to the opposition. But that would have created it's own problems.

GetOverTheBar

There is a tweet from the company that runs Hawkeye, can't exactly remember the wording of it which would be important. But basically they apologised for a malfunction at that time. Which is a walkover in legal terms.....but they could not have foreseen how the rest of the season would go.

Without knowing the exact ins and outs of the case and the whys, it's not "out there" to suggest Bournemouth to launch an appeal, whether it would go anywhere I highly doubt considering how much of the rest of the season was to go after this incident and we've no idea if Bournemouth in the mean time have been clever and already lodged something over it with the Premier League at the time.

I do see a scenario however where Hawkeye/EPL just throw money at Bournemouth to make this go away without the need for court action.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on July 30, 2020, 09:46:38 AM

There is a tweet from the company that runs Hawkeye, can't exactly remember the wording of it which would be important. But basically they apologised for a malfunction at that time. Which is a walkover in legal terms.....but they could not have foreseen how the rest of the season would go.

Without knowing the exact ins and outs of the case and the whys, it's not "out there" to suggest Bournemouth to launch an appeal, whether it would go anywhere I highly doubt considering how much of the rest of the season was to go after this incident and we've no idea if Bournemouth in the mean time have been clever and already lodged something over it with the Premier League at the time.

I do see a scenario however where Hawkeye/EPL just throw money at Bournemouth to make this go away without the need for court action.

That is exactly the point that I am saying. I deal with confidential and without prejudice agreements every single day. The amount of decisions that are made purely on a financial basis or on a reputational basis when it comes to settlement of cases is unreal. I genuinely believe that whoever is acting on behalf of Bournemouth should be saying to them to push for it as there is enough to make Hawkeye and the EPL very uncomfortable, particularly under current circumstances.

quit yo jibbajabba

Newcastle deal off. Will they ever get rid of Ashley....

Taylor

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on July 30, 2020, 07:16:27 PM
Newcastle deal off. Will they ever get rid of Ashley....

Part of the reason it seems they pulled out was because Ashley tried to renegotiate the deal late in the day - he is some piece of work

GetOverTheBar

Haven't read anything to suggest this is on Ashley, he seems to be in need of the money with Covid issues crippling his other businesses. The Premier League look to have stone walled the Saudis and they got sick of it.