Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

Anyone watch Conlan/Barnes last night? Sad to see Paddy taking a tanking, it just hasn't happened for him at all. Conlan's fight was pretty dull although he got what he needed from it. Himself v Nikitin will be a good show if it happens.

On a side note, what are your thoughts on Conlan's entrance music, Graffiti on the wall? I know it was Patrick's day but I found it very distasteful to have ooh ahh up the Ra being sung full pelt in the crowd. Fair enough to play the Irish card hard but surely there's a line to be drawn in the sand when it comes to sport.

nrico2006

Never watch Conlon, fights are too boring and he doesn't seem to have any power considering how big he is.  Barnes is more entertaining and I was surprised he lost, but didn't realise he had hopped up two divisions in the process.  That's him effectively finished.

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

illdecide

Quote from: omagh_gael on March 18, 2019, 11:12:22 AM
Anyone watch Conlan/Barnes last night? Sad to see Paddy taking a tanking, it just hasn't happened for him at all. Conlan's fight was pretty dull although he got what he needed from it. Himself v Nikitin will be a good show if it happens.

On a side note, what are your thoughts on Conlan's entrance music, Graffiti on the wall? I know it was Patrick's day but I found it very distasteful to have ooh ahh up the Ra being sung full pelt in the crowd. Fair enough to play the Irish card hard but surely there's a line to be drawn in the sand when it comes to sport.

Belfast boxer Michael Conlan has been criticised after his ring entrance song in Sunday's bout in New York contained lyrics supporting the IRA.

Conlan, 27, entered the ring as the Wolfe Tones song Celtic Symphony played at Madison Square Garden.

The song's chorus includes the line "Up the Ra" and several unionist politicians have reacted angrily.

"Disgraceful that he has no regard for the victims of IRA terrorism," said DUP Belfast councillor Brian Kingston.

"Very disappointing that Michael Conlan does not follow the lead of many previous boxing and sporting heroes so that people can support him across the divide."

East Antrim Ulster Unionist MLA John Stewart was also strongly critical of the Belfast fighter who maintained his unbeaten record by defeating Mexican Ruben Garcia Hernandez.

"It's time someone told him that walking out to 'Oh Ahh Up the RA' is dragging him and the sport into the gutter. Sad," added the Ulster Unionist MLA.

The Wolfe Tones have written a number of songs which praise the IRA.

With Celtic Symphony playing at the 2012 Olympic bronze medallist made his way to the ring, a number of spectators sang the "Up the Ra" lyric when the song arrived at the chorus.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

JoG2

Quote from: illdecide on March 18, 2019, 01:41:08 PM

Belfast boxer Michael Conlan has been criticised after his ring entrance song in Sunday's bout in New York contained lyrics supporting the IRA.

Conlan, 27, entered the ring as the Wolfe Tones song Celtic Symphony played at Madison Square Garden.

The song's chorus includes the line "Up the Ra" and several unionist politicians have reacted angrily.

"Disgraceful that he has no regard for the victims of IRA terrorism," said DUP Belfast councillor Brian Kingston.

"Very disappointing that Michael Conlan does not follow the lead of many previous boxing and sporting heroes so that people can support him across the divide."

East Antrim Ulster Unionist MLA John Stewart was also strongly critical of the Belfast fighter who maintained his unbeaten record by defeating Mexican Ruben Garcia Hernandez.

"It's time someone told him that walking out to 'Oh Ahh Up the RA' is dragging him and the sport into the gutter. Sad," added the Ulster Unionist MLA.

With Celtic Symphony playing at the 2012 Olympic bronze medallist made his way to the ring, a number of spectators sang the "Up the Ra" lyric when the song arrived at the chorus.

Nolan all over this this morning. Wonder will they have Alan Partridge on tomorrow morning ! #blackandtans ;D

michaelg

Quote from: JoG2 on March 19, 2019, 09:58:56 AM
Quote from: illdecide on March 18, 2019, 01:41:08 PM

Nolan all over this this morning. Wonder will they have Alan Partridge on tomorrow morning ! #blackandtans ;D
Hardly surprising.  Only surprising thing is that there was not more backlash.  Fairly sad that someone so young and probably born around the time of the ceasefire thinks this is appropriate.  Not great for box office for shows in Belfast either.  Can you imagine the furore on here if Frampton came out bedecked in Union Jacks belting out UDA songs on his ring walk?

imtommygunn

Conlon seems to be going down the mcgregor route of controversy. He looks like he's pushing himself with a "super Irish" kind of mantra whether that be to crack America or not I don't know but he's definitely not selling himself as cross community and I doubt there's any way back on that front.  A very gifted boxer but doesn't really conduct himself very well. His brother almost always seemed the opposite.

Milltown Row2

I've never seen the like of it! Balloon bag
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Over the Bar

Apparently he was supposed to come out to this but someone put the wrong CD on...

https://youtu.be/bUUWmAeONnI

trailer

He doesn't appear to be too smart the poor lad. Management at fault here. Sometimes people need protecting from themselves.

GetOverTheBar

Conlon is an idiot....seems to be intent on being 'The Bad Guy'

nrico2006

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-47747786

Not Whytes biggest fan but its not that hard to get a world title shot these days at Heavyweight and considering who he has beat its a disgrace that he has been overlooked so far.  This whole WBC handling is beyond a joke too, him being the number 1 ranked contender but again being overlooked in favour of Breazeale.  The latest talk is of Polish fighter Adam Kownacki getting a shot yet he has beaten very average opponents so far.

The article doesn't mention his IBF ranking, so I took a look to see where he sits with them and shockingly he isn't even in the top 20, which is an easy list to get on if you are half decent.  But the biggest shock I noticed was the WBA rankings, where Whyte sits in 4th.  Ahead of him is Trevor Bryan (who is ranked number 1), yet the last 4 fighters he has faced have a total of 80 losses between them.  The number 3 ranked fighter Fres Oquendo hasn't fought in nearly 5 years, lost his last fight and has lost 8 times in total.  Him and Bryan aren't even ranked by the other bodies. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

oakleaflad

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 05, 2019, 10:49:38 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-47747786

Not Whytes biggest fan but its not that hard to get a world title shot these days at Heavyweight and considering who he has beat its a disgrace that he has been overlooked so far.  This whole WBC handling is beyond a joke too, him being the number 1 ranked contender but again being overlooked in favour of Breazeale.  The latest talk is of Polish fighter Adam Kownacki getting a shot yet he has beaten very average opponents so far.

The article doesn't mention his IBF ranking, so I took a look to see where he sits with them and shockingly he isn't even in the top 20, which is an easy list to get on if you are half decent.  But the biggest shock I noticed was the WBA rankings, where Whyte sits in 4th.  Ahead of him is Trevor Bryan (who is ranked number 1), yet the last 4 fighters he has faced have a total of 80 losses between them.  The number 3 ranked fighter Fres Oquendo hasn't fought in nearly 5 years, lost his last fight and has lost 8 times in total.  Him and Bryan aren't even ranked by the other bodies.
Whilst the WBC's handling of Whyte has been poor, at least they have most of the top 10 heavyweights in their rankings. IBF, WBA and WBO's rankings are a joke. Fres Oquendo being ranked anywhere is also a joke. Super titles, Regular titles, Silver titles, joke.

My top ten would be something like this:

1. Joshua
2. Fury
3. Wilder
4. Ortiz
5. Whyte
6. Pulev
7. Povetkin
8. Miller
9. Parker
10. Rivas

Brezeale is probably there or there abouts with the likes of Takam to be fair. I'd have prospects like Kownacki, Yoka, Hrgovic, Dubois or Joyce ahead of Fres Oquendo at this stage, he wouldn't make my top 30.

Will be interesting to see if Usyk can make an impact at heavyweight.

tonto1888

Lomachenko is some fighter

gallsman

Have just seen it. Crolla was a beaten man the moment he accepted the fight but Loma is ridiculously good. The movement and angles are insane.

screenexile

Serious mismatch but fair play to Crolla for getting there.

Ref should have stopped it rather than a standing count!!